• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hunter2678
    Unwashed
    • Nov 2018

Howa Mini chassis upgrade.

Well, I gotta say this little heavy-barreled Mini Howa Grendel has certainly earned this chassis upgrade. It shoots so consistently well that it makes my other customs jealous. I never thought I'd get fully on board the chassis wagon bc I love a nice wood/glass stocked rifle, but now after shooting chassis systems for a year all my rifles wear them except for my laminated stock heavy barreled 6x47 target gun. After looking at all the aftermarket stuff out there and adding up the DIP bottom metal upgrade, limited fit/ergos of the fiberglass stock configurations available for this barreled action I decided to put those costs towards an MDT LSS Gen2 and just be done with it. Balance, unlimited adjustability, carry options, mag interface/function, no bedding necessary make these worth every penny IMO. If you're on the fence about a stock upgrade give something like this a hard look. It's gonna be my "do everything rifle". Weight, as shown, is 8.8 lbs but it feels and carries like a 6.5-7lb gun. You could certainly shave a pound or more quite easily with a smaller scope, lighter rear stock option, shorter barrel, and no brake. Chassis with rear stock alone is 3.2lb on my scale. The damn limb saver that came on it isn't my fav from XLR but it really works well.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Hunter2678; 01-19-2021, 12:47 AM.
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

I've got several chassis setups on "working man's" rifles and they do shoot very well, way above their paygrade. I am definitely the weakest link!
    As I sit here, I think all of them are some form of Mdt... mucho-likey!

My Howa Grr, however, wears a B&C which I also like, again, no bedding necessary.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
      Warrior
      • Dec 2017

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 01-19-2021, 02:32 AM.

Comment

• fasteddie
        Unwashed
        • Apr 2020

Picked up the LSS Gen2 on black friday. Weights:

Chassis: 23oz
        Pistol Grip: 3oz
        SCS-lite- 26oz

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
          Warrior
          • Dec 2017

gen 1 lss chassis was 1 lb 13 oz (29 oz) so it looks like they smartened up with the gen 2, makes sense because i bought a gen 2 lss-xl and it was 1 lb 13 oz (29 oz) and they seemed to have taken notes from me on where to get all the fat out, i was impressed with the gen 2 lss-xl in that i didn't have to take it to my machinest for a diet, for info the lss-xl gen 2 is a much longer and wider forend chassis so it's gonna be heavier no matter what, to have it come in same weight as the original gen 1 short lss was great work imo

so, if the gen 2 lss is down to 23 oz or 1 lb 7oz then that's pretty good, my machinest got 1 more oz out it than they did...mdt listens and fixes, so thumbs up to them

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
            Warrior
            • Dec 2017

Ok, my ruger rar chassis arrived today. It was 1 lb 14.5 oz with hardware. My action has weaver low rings at 2.5 oz and leupold fxII 6x36 (9.5 oz) and i've got a 3 slot magpul m-lok rail and a streamlight tlr-8 (rail with light/laser is 3.0 oz combined) and 1.0 oz in some ergo m-lok rail covers (2-4 hole and 1-2 hole) and entire scoped rifle without ammo or sling is exactly 8 lb 8 oz (8.5 lbs). It has magpul moe-k grip (trigger reach is great) and scope/eye alignment off the magpul ctr butt stock on a carbine length buffer tube/castle nut is also ideal for weaver low rings. LOP adjusts from 11.5-14.5" and OAL from 33.75-36.75".

10 rounds of ammo and a sling will bring it up to 9 lbs all in give or take an oz or so depending on sling (6.5 oz for 10 rounds) and recoil energy will be 6.1 ft/lbs with hornady black ammo.

I would build this again, in fact i'm going to do two more, one each for my two boys. Quite happy with this set up now.
            Shot two more coyotes with it before chassis two days ago bringing it to 3 coyotes, plus a sheep and a whitetail buck so the talley up to five with it now. Straight shooter, been deadly one shot on all so far. Longest coyote 300, the sheep 170, deer 198. Great little do all rig that can double down for defense as well.
            Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 02-02-2021, 03:17 AM.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
              Administrator
              • Feb 2011

H2678, love those MDT chassis! Very slick.

StinkyC! Need pix of your new Ruger chassis!
              :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
                Warrior
                • Dec 2017

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
                H2678, love those MDT chassis! Very slick.

StinkyC! Need pix of your new Ruger chassis!
                working on it, will get on the insta and post the link later today, stay tuned

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2017

Comment

• biodsl
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2011

Very nice, Stinky. Attractive stick.
                    Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

Working...
                    X