• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Enrico Togni
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2020

Upgrading a CZ Varmint MTR with pillar bedding and better trigger

Hello and Merry Xmas.
    Anybody. who experienced the matter, might help me on choosing the proper pillar sleeves in order to try improving my CZ 527 MTR ? Here in Italy we are pratically obliged to buy from Brownells Europe, they offer several sleeves lengh but am not able to understand wich one is suitable.
    Furthermore I also am considering a better trigger for the above weapon but Timney, among others, doesn't appear to have the specific item. I read somewhere that those for CZ 550 "should" be suitable but I prefer to be confidend before arranging the purchase. I also enquired to Timeny and sooner or later I should get their reply. In the meantime I tuned the factoy one at about 1.0 Nm that is around 2.5 pounds. It was not possible to get a lower value, neither I think the maker designed it for precision target purpose.
    Thanks for any help.
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Your rifle should have the set trigger function?

You can set it down so low the gun will fire when you close the bolt lol.

Comment

• Enrico Togni
      Unwashed
      • Dec 2020

Hi friend. My weapon doesn't have have set trigger funtion, this is the reason cause I am searching for a better device. I adjusted the weigh of pull and also installed a lighter spring but the result is not satisfactory, for me. So i re-propose the question : Is there any aftermarket trigger which can SAFELY reach my needs?
      Thanks for your attention.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Enrico Togni View Post
        Hi friend. My weapon doesn't have have set trigger funtion, this is the reason cause I am searching for a better device. I adjusted the weigh of pull and also installed a lighter spring but the result is not satisfactory, for me. So i re-propose the question : Is there any aftermarket trigger which can SAFELY reach my needs?
        That's strange because my varmint grendel has the set trigger.

I dont think there is a aftermarket trigger for the cz 527.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Comment

• Enrico Togni
            Unwashed
            • Dec 2020

Well, I should conclude that European CZ leans better toward USA market than EU one :-(
            Thanks anyway for the time you paid for me.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2015

You could possibly buy a set trigger and replace the trigger your rifle came with.

But like I said I'm not sure any compny makes a aftermarket trigger for the 527, there might be I just never looked into it to truly find out.

I hope you find something and keep us updated on how it works for you.

Comment

• riuma
                Warrior
                • Jun 2018

The CZ 550 trigger drops right into the 527. The 550M requires the very tip of the trigger bow to be ground off to fit the CZ trigger guard. (easily done) I have Timney's in all but two of my nine CZ 527s -including the Varmint and Standard American Grendels. How old is your MTR? My Varmint model has the new factory bedding system in it with a V-Block and a bedded recoil lug. My American, circa 2017, needed pillar bedding but I made and installed the pillars myself so I can't help you with Brownells choices.

The Timney CZ 550 is definitely the trigger you want.~Riuma

Comment

• Sinclair
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2018

Hello and Merry Xmas.
                  Anybody. who experienced the matter, might help me on choosing the proper pillar sleeves in order to try improving my CZ 527 MTR ? Here in Italy we are pratically obliged to buy from Brownells Europe, they offer several sleeves lengh but am not able to understand wich one is suitable.
                  Furthermore I also am considering a better trigger for the above weapon but Timney, among others, doesn't appear to have the specific item. I read somewhere that those for CZ 550 "should" be suitable but I prefer to be confidend before arranging the purchase. I also enquired to Timeny and sooner or later I should get their reply. In the meantime I tuned the factoy one at about 1.0 Nm that is around 2.5 pounds. It was not possible to get a lower value, neither I think the maker designed it for precision target purpose.
                  Thanks for any help.
                  Greetings from America. I have what I believe to be a preproduction version of the 527 Varmint. At first I thought that mine did not have the set trigger function. It takes some effort to push the trigger forward hard enough to "set" the trigger. Once set the trigger is very soft, about 12 oz. and no creep on mine. Just a touch will set it off. As for as the regular trigger goes, about 2.5 pounds is the least I could get before things started to fall apart. How much less are you looking for? Back in the day, I learned to shoot good scores with my M1 Garand that broke crisply at 4.5 pounds.

It is my understanding that he latest 527 Varmint models in America have the 550 adjustable trigger group without the set trigger function. Good luck in your quest. Part of the enjoyment of messing around with guns is in customizing one to your exact specifications. Something that doesn't seem possible with a wife!
                  Last edited by Sinclair; 12-26-2020, 07:37 PM.
                  "A Patriot must always be ready to defend his Country against his government"
                  Edward Abbey

"Stay out of trouble, Never give up, Never give in, Watch you're six, Hold the line, Stay Frosty."
                  Dr. Sabastian Gorka, Hungarian by birth, American Patriot by Beliefs.

Comment

• tdbru
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2019

Enrico,
                    Hope you had a Merry Christmas. Give Brownells a call and see if they can get you a CZ 550 trigger group like the above posters have suggested? by the way, what trigger pull are you hoping to achieve? 1/2 kg? 250 grams? 50 grams? surprising that even with changing out springs and making adjustments that you could not get the trigger pull to be what you wanted. anyway, give Brownells a call and see what they can do for you. best of luck.
                    -tdbru

Comment

• Enrico Togni
                      Unwashed
                      • Dec 2020

Thanks to everyone for the very useful hints. My MTR is about one year old ,I did buy of second hand but it's like new and with about 200 hundred shots, it's in my hands since a couple of weeks, just the time to begin developing some reloads. I'll check and double check if pushing hard the trigger forward I would be able to set the trigger. tdbru I would be happy with 500 grams or so ,about 1 pound (thanks Sinclair), otherwise will follow riuma's tip in order to install Timney 550 trigger and arranging those minor fittings.
                      it appears that I have a lot to discover in my arm since it might have hidden qualities such as V-block bedding and set trigger, indeed.
                      Thanks again folks, I'll keep you informed.
                      Last edited by Enrico Togni; 12-27-2020, 01:50 AM.

Comment

• Enrico Togni
                        Unwashed
                        • Dec 2020

In the meantime, it's deep night here, right now, before checking if my rifle has or not a set trigger, I searched some more help via youtube and, apart the somewhat excessive duration of the video, I noted that the owner's trigger is white or light gray while mine is black.

Sinclair is your set trigger color the same of that video?

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2015

In the meantime, it's deep night here, right now, before checking if my rifle has or not a set trigger, I searched some more help via youtube and, apart the somewhat excessive duration of the video, I noted that the owner's trigger is white or light gray while mine is black.

Sinclair is your set trigger color the same of that video?
                          Mine is a nice silver chrome.

When I purchased mine. Cz USA said it was labeled as american varmint but was the same rifle as the MTR but just put in a american style stock for the US market.

Strange they would use a diffrent trigger on that rifle for the EU market but I guess maybe that's what they did.

Comment

• Enrico Togni
                            Unwashed
                            • Dec 2020

Upgrade new. My trigger is also silver, I looked at it well. Unfortunately I must sadly confirm that's not a set one. Tried to push it forward very, very hard several times with no result, until I realized that continuing the action I surely could bend or damage it. So I had to give up.
                            Watching the video I noted that the trigger object of service is very straight. Mine is very arcuate, instead.
                            Last edited by Enrico Togni; 12-27-2020, 02:04 PM.

Comment

• riuma
                              Warrior
                              • Jun 2018

Upgrade new. My trigger is also silver, I looked at it well. Unfortunately I must sadly confirm that's not a set one. Tried to push it forward very, very hard several times with no result, until I realized that continuing the action I surely could bend or damage it. So I had to give up.
                              Watching the video I noted that the trigger object of service is very straight. Mine is very arcuate, instead.
                              Don't worry about not having a set trigger. I have done accuracy tests of set trigger against a well adjusted single stage trigger and the single stage trigger won every time. I would like to see CZ Just supply a good single stage trigger on all their rifles and do away with the archaic set trigger. A benefit of the Timney over the single set trigger is that the body of the trigger, where you put your finger, is positioned more rearward in the trigger guard. It is much more conducive to accurate shooting.

I hope your MTR is new enough to have the V-block bedding. It will be immediately apparent when you remove the action from the stock. Whereas I needed to fuss with my 2017-vintage Grendel American bedding, the 2020 American Varmint has been superlatively accurate from the start. Let us know how you fare.~Riuma

Comment

Working...
                              X