• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BowChamp
    Warrior
    • Oct 2016

T/C Encore and Match Grade Machine

A while back I came into possession of an encore 50 cal. muzzleloader. I have no use for a muzzleloader so I'm thinking it would make an excellent 6.5 grendel for a young man I know. I've been doing some digging and came up with MGM for a barrel. It will be a couple months before I order. I'm thinking I'll go with a 18" to 20" heavy factory contour barrel and threaded for muzzle device.

Just wanted to know if anyone here has had any experience with MGM and their barrels. If so, could you let me know what you think.

Thank You
  • Stinky Coyote
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

i think this would be a great direction to go, i have researched a g2 contender build with mcm barrel, what i can tell the balance and handling is much preferred with 24" full contour barrels as the guys who've chased ultralight builds have learned the hard way and much prefer with such a short lightweight option to begin with to keep some weight out there a ways, the aftermarket also has an m4 pistol grip to buffer tube adapter so one can use AR butt stocks, so can build one with carbine buffer tube and magpul ctr and fit anyone, kids etc. throw a nice little leupold vx3i 2.5-8x36 on it and have a great little rig that would excel for all but maybe coyote calling where a repeater is much preferred

Comment

• Cornbread
      Warrior
      • Dec 2015

I have one in 350 rem mag on an encore. When I got the barrel the part that resets the trigger was very tight and would not reset 100%. I just worked it with some kroil and it loosened right up. No further issues. I got the stainless heavy factory contour and it shoots really well. Sub moa with my hand loads.

Comment

• BowChamp
        Warrior
        • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
        i think this would be a great direction to go, i have researched a g2 contender build with mcm barrel, what i can tell the balance and handling is much preferred with 24" full contour barrels as the guys who've chased ultralight builds have learned the hard way and much prefer with such a short lightweight option to begin with to keep some weight out there a ways, the aftermarket also has an m4 pistol grip to buffer tube adapter so one can use AR butt stocks, so can build one with carbine buffer tube and magpul ctr and fit anyone, kids etc. throw a nice little leupold vx3i 2.5-8x36 on it and have a great little rig that would excel for all but maybe coyote calling where a repeater is much preferred
        Balance is one of my concerns. I've seen several encores built with short 16" barrels and was thinking "That can't be balanced very well". If I go with a 24" barrel would a 1 in 8 twist or 1 in 9 twist be a better choice??
        I saw the stock adapter you mentioned, it does look like a good option for a stock.
        What are your thoughts on a muzzle brake/comp with a 24" barrel??? If I get it threaded, I have the choice of using one or not.

Comment

• BowChamp
          Warrior
          • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Cornbread View Post
          I have one in 350 rem mag on an encore. When I got the barrel the part that resets the trigger was very tight and would not reset 100%. I just worked it with some kroil and it loosened right up. No further issues. I got the stainless heavy factory contour and it shoots really well. Sub moa with my hand loads.
          350 Rem. Mag....Nice!!!

Glad to hear about the accuracy. That is what I've been finding with all my searching around.

Comment

• GregP42
            Warrior
            • Mar 2015

MGM is first class on Contender barrels. I have one in 6.5 Grendel on my Contender and it shoots better than I can.

Greg

Comment

• FW Conch
              Warrior
              • Nov 2014

I have one on My Contender in 6.8 SPC. It is a well made barrel and shoots well.

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
                Warrior
                • Dec 2017

Originally posted by BowChamp View Post
                Balance is one of my concerns. I've seen several encores built with short 16" barrels and was thinking "That can't be balanced very well". If I go with a 24" barrel would a 1 in 8 twist or 1 in 9 twist be a better choice??
                I saw the stock adapter you mentioned, it does look like a good option for a stock.
                What are your thoughts on a muzzle brake/comp with a 24" barrel??? If I get it threaded, I have the choice of using one or not.
                if i lived in usa where i could get a suppressor for it i would get it threaded, up here in canada the likelihood of us ever making suppressors legal is next to nil, so i would order the barrel without threads, i've had my stint with muzzle brakes, won't use them again, wear muffs on the range and i don't wear anything for hunting, as for recoil, not enough in the grendel for a brake imo

Comment

• BowChamp
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2016

Any one have recommendations on the rate of twist verses barrel length?

Comment

• VASCAR2
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Comment

• BD264
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jun 2017

Comment

Working...
                      X