• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oso Polaris
    Warrior
    • Apr 2019

Howa Mini - B&C Stock Issue

On Friday I received a new B&C M40 stock for my Howa Mini action, which dropped in deep and snug. Spoke with B&C's customer service to confirm recommended torque for action screws (45-50 lbs). The stock looks and feels great, and it will make a nice plinker / field rifle. After playing with it a little, I noticed (heard as much as saw) that the bolt handle was making contact with the stock (bottom of handle inlet), which stopped the the bolt handle from completely turning / fully engaging the lugs. It really was the solid thunk of the bolt handle contacting the bottom of the inlet, which sounded like a deep drum, that caught my attention. Only then did I grab a flashlight and flip the rifle over to see if I could see any light around bottom of channel. No way to pass a dollar bill underneath it. I have seen this once before on another stock, which a gunsmith caught while doing a build. Not a big deal - Dremel and small sanding drum will fix this clearance issue.

This evening I was looking at the rifle in preparation for providing clearance for the bolt handle. I happened to notice a few other indicators of an issue: the stock sits higher than the receiver's lip at the ejector port; the safety lever makes contact with the stock when shifted to the rear "safety" position; the end of receiver tang sits below the edge of the stock; and the bolt release lever barely clears the stock in neutral position and definitely makes contact when pushed forward to release the bolt. Overall conclusion: the stock's inlet/V-block sits 1/16" - 3/32" too low.

The lesson learned is drop-in stocks are fantastic and vast majority never have an issue, but go ahead and check it thoroughly. If I hadn't had a previous issue, I might not have ever noticed or thought to inspect for these minor issues. Initially, they didn't jump out at me when I first mounted the action into the stock...I was too busy handling the rifle and working the action to notice these minor deviations. In the morning I will call B&C, and gladly swap out for identical replacement.

Sorry - I would have added a couple of photos, but it didn't like my URL links and didn't like the sizing of my photos when loading directly from my computer.... too much hassle.
  • tdbru
    Warrior
    • Dec 2019

OsoPolaris,
    these i just consider minor fitting issues and i usually just fix them myself and call it good. incidentally, my B&C sporter was fine for fit. i suspect B&C will make it good. i think once your fitting issues get settled, you'll like the B&C stock a lot.
    good luck, have fun!
    -tdbru

Comment

• ricsmall
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• Oso Polaris
        Warrior
        • Apr 2019

Originally posted by tdbru View Post
        OsoPolaris,
        these i just consider minor fitting issues and i usually just fix them myself and call it good. incidentally, my B&C sporter was fine for fit. i suspect B&C will make it good. i think once your fitting issues get settled, you'll like the B&C stock a lot.
        good luck, have fun!
        -tdbru
        I think B&C makes a great stock and is hard to beat for the price. For me the B&C has always been an easy, no-brainer upgrade to any factory rifle or budget build. I have a couple of CZ527's outfitted in similar B&C stocks. I agree that sometimes there are some minor fitting required to provide additional clearances. It is a bit unrealistic to expect stock manufacturer to provide product that fits 100% of every rifle, while providing tight tolerances/snug fit. The inletting being too deep is outside the line for me. Adding bedding on top of the V-block is like shimming with washers after pillar bedding... it defeats the purpose.

B&C is quality operation so I don't expect any issues.

Comment

• Briano23
          Warrior
          • Jul 2019

Off topic but could you measure the hole spacing of the 2 forward sling stud I have the M40 stock on order and like to add a picatinny rail on the bottom to mount my tripod.
          Thanks
          Briano

Comment

• Oso Polaris
            Warrior
            • Apr 2019

Originally posted by Briano23 View Post
            Off topic but could you measure the hole spacing of the 2 forward sling stud I have the M40 stock on order and like to add a picatinny rail on the bottom to mount my tripod.
            Thanks
            Briano
            The hole spacing is 2.5" center to center. Seekins Precision makes a nice bipod rail that also has a connection point for the traditional sling so that you can use both at same time. This is what I have outfitted my CZ527's. I remove the 2 sling studs that come with the stock and use machine screws to affix the rail to the stock so there is no interference with a bipod. The square end of the rail is oriented back toward the trigger, and it allows the typical swivel sling to mount through the hole in this extended portion.

Last edited by Oso Polaris; 07-28-2020, 05:43 PM.

Comment

• cwlongshot
              Warrior
              • Mar 2018

I remember a friend saying that BC had some bad stocks for Howas... IINM He recently got and and after speaking with BC they took it back and are sending a replacement.

Having said that. YEA ABSOLUTELY some
              Minor fitment is nearly always needed and releaving clearancing at safety is seemingly always a need.

Call BC, explain issues and let them tell You.

CW

Comment

• Oso Polaris
                Warrior
                • Apr 2019

Spoke with B&C and sent some pictures. Sending the stock back for review/replacement. Easy, Fast Service!

Quality operation focused on its customers.

Comment

• Dinny
                  Warrior
                  • Jun 2016

Originally posted by Oso Polaris View Post
                  Spoke with B&C and sent some pictures. Sending the stock back for review/replacement. Easy, Fast Service!
                  +100!

I'm the friend CW referred to above. I hope to have my stock back early next week that they also replaced.

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• Oso Polaris
                    Warrior
                    • Apr 2019

Update: B&C shipped a replacement stock that's due to arrive tomorrow. All in 1.5 week turnaround from date of me shipping and date of receiving new stock. Great Response / Customer Service!!!

The issue on the original stock was that inletting was a bit deep.

Comment

• cwlongshot
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2018

Glad I was able to help!

CW

Comment

• sfmd
                        Unwashed
                        • Aug 2020

FWIW, I recently received my M40 stock and while extremely tight, it fit flawlessly. I have a DIP bottom metal and it had to be motivated by hand to fit and fully seat. To a lesser extent, the receiver was the same. However, the bolt fully seats, the safety works and the barrel is fully floated.

Comment

• Briano23
                          Warrior
                          • Jul 2019

The hole spacing is 2.5" center to center. Seekins Precision makes a nice bipod rail that also has a connection point for the traditional sling so that you can use both at same time. This is what I have outfitted my CZ527's. I remove the 2 sling studs that come with the stock and use machine screws to affix the rail to the stock so there is no interference with a bipod. The square end of the rail is oriented back toward the trigger, and it allows the typical swivel sling to mount through the hole in this extended portion.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019571883?pid=601384
                          Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                          X