• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wabbit87
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2018

Howa legacy mini action 22"

So I picked this up right before the pandemic and finally got around to shooting it... Less than desirable to say the least 100 round to break in the barrel and it settled at 1moa and that would be perfectly fine for a hunting rifle using 130eldm 30gn lvr 2.260

So looking to order a Mcgowen barrel #8 heavy target barrel 26" and a boyds at one

Anyone know the best way to pop the factory barrel off?
    6.5 Grendel https://imgur.com/gallery/NQ2DR
  • biodsl
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Wabbit87 View Post
    Anyone know the best way to pop the factory barrel off?
    This would be the best way for me https://www.gunsmithusa.com/ I sure others will have more useful suggestions.
    Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Lemonaid
      Warrior
      • Feb 2019

As a general method of removing a threaded on barrel you use a barrel vise and a receiver wrench, both with inserts for particular barrel contours and receiver shapes. Brownells is a good source of tools needed. https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...prod41623.aspx
      If you are good at making tools, you can make serviceable home brew ones based on previous designs.
      Or you could take your project to your local gunsmith.

Comment

• ricsmall
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Help a friend of mine take off 5 diffrent howa barrels. Two from minis and the other 3 from 1500 sized actions.

We used a vise block to he had that holds the action and a wrench head made to fit the barrel and a breaker bar and turned them right off. Not to sure how much torque they used to install and set headspace and all that but I didn't find it all that difficult to break them free with a breaker bar and 3 foot cheater pipe.

Installed the new barrels the same way.

Comment

• flatland1
            Bloodstained
            • Jun 2018

I'd never been able to remove a regular Howa 1500 bbl without taking a relief cut on the bbl shank with a parting tool right up against the receiver face - until they started equipping their actions with the HACT 2-stage triggers. After that, I found that it was easier to remove a factory Howa bbl than it generally is to remove a Rem M700, using a good bbl vise & Brownells action wrench. For use on a Mini action, I slit a piece of fairly heavy rubber hose and slipped it over the top of the Mini action before clamping the action into a M70 top on the Brownells action wrench. The OEM Mini bbls break loose pretty easily.

Comment

Working...
            X