• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ScottCard
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2019

Another Howa Mini Range Day

I bought a Howa mini action 6.5 Grendel 22? a while back and finally got around to doing the barrel break in process a couple weeks ago. I finished sighting it in yesterday.

This is my first experience with the 6.5 Grendel and with Howa rifles. I had a nice trade-in cr?dit at my LGS and ended up using it to get a muzzleloader and the mini action. The Howa was only $375 out the door, and I was curious about the cartridge, so it went home with me. I plan to use it as a woods deer rifle.

I put on a Leupold 2-7x33 VX-2 I had lying around using Talley medium rings. I also installed a Tactical Works clamp on bolt knob for better scope clearance. After bore sighting the rifle I followed the Howa barrel break in process. I do not think it needed the whole 20 shots as it was shooting pretty doggone good after 10 shots but I did it anyway.

Yesterday, I sighted it in using the Federal Fusion 120 grain cartridges. I attached a pic of my target. All shots were fired using a lead sled rest. The circled 3 shot group at the top was my first attempt at 100 yards. I measured it at just under 1.25?. The second 3 shot group was also from 100 yards after adjusting for elevation. The group was between 7/8? and 1?. I will take that! I am a pretty average shooter.

The other holes in the target were various shots playing around and getting sighted in at 25, 50 and 75 yards before wrapping up at 100. I am not sure I have the elevation dialed in as well as the target suggests...my aging eyes had some difficulty with 7x at 100 yards. Ideally, I think I want it 1? high at 100 yards so I will be within 2.5? out to 200 yards. This will be a lightweight deer rifle for the woods. That will more than cover my needs as most shots will be under 75 yards.

My thoughts on the rifle is that it is a tremendous value for under $400. The trigger is very nice. Working the bolt action is not as smooth as my Browning X-bolt but the throw is short and reasonably smooth if I am deliberate in the steps (up, back, forward, down). And, it is not nearly as expensive as the X-bolt! The stock is basic if not adequate. The magazines and mag release/catch seem to be the biggest weaknesses.

Down the road I may look into the DIP bottom metal and mag release...and if I get motivated enough I may try to modify my extra magazine for a more flush mount. I wish Howa/Legacy would produce a 3 rounder.

Sorry for the long post. And, thanks to all who post here. I have learned a lot from this site!
    Attached Files
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Congrats sir.

If you haven't already you can adjust the trigger and make it much nicer.

1 inch high at 100 is a 200 yard zero. So you should be good to go for your typical hunting ranges.

Comment

• tommyguns
      Bloodstained
      • Feb 2016

I did the DIP bottom & mag release on my Mini, very happy with it. This rifle is now definitely a keeper!

Comment

• ScottCard
        Unwashed
        • Oct 2019

Maybe I got a “good one” because I liked the trigger out of the box. I didn’t measure it but it felt like a 3lb pull that is just the way I want it for hunting.

The DIP metal is tempting but I’m gonna wait a while to see how problematic the magazine/release is for me.

Comment

• Yendor6.5
          Unwashed
          • Feb 2020

All the stars must have been in alignment today... I fired five, 3 shot groups. The biggest one was still under an inch. The next biggest was under 3/4". The other 3 were under a half! Yeah, I know, that's just 3 shots, but that's all the mag will hold now that I shortened it. I can't shoot that well every day, but when it happens, I'll take it!

There a lot of guys, such as myself, who are ok with sinking a little money into a value priced rifle like this because, they shoot so well.

Comment

Working...
          X