• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FLshooter
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2019

RAP Timney trigger

Right now I am not too unsatisfied with the RAP trigger.I did an average trigger pull test w/my Lymon digital trigger gauge.5 pulls/2.37 lbs. And that is as light as it will go with the hex screw sticking all the way out.
    Not horrible. but I also have not really gotten into seriously shooting the RAP yet. Had it out once and I?m waiting for my MDT chassis to get here on Wednesday.
    I looked at aftermarket triggers for the RAP,there are a couple of companies that make them. But I would go w/Timney.I believe you can adjust it up to 4 lbs or down to 1 1/2 pounds same as my CZ 50/527 Timney triggers. I actually got my CZ down to about 1 1/4 lbs.
    The only thing I do not care for is that the RAP Timney trigger was not two stage. Not a total deal killer. I have many one stage triggers that are great. The timney goes for $165 on the Timney site or you can go on eBay and I seen them shipped for $124.50 Probably the way to roll. Only thing ,the ones on eBay are not factory pre set to what you want.They probably come set in the middle some where and you need to adjust.No biggie.
    Just wondering what you guys think about the RAP factory trigger.And how much of an improvement would the Timney be.In the CZ I know it was a world of difference. But I happen to think the CZ set trigger is god awful. IMO,the RAP has a much better trigger from the factory than any CZ.
    Last edited by FLshooter; 01-13-2020, 11:42 PM. Reason: Spelling/wording
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

I have installed a timney into my RAP-243 and it works great, single stage like you said, get the adjustable one for sure, think I went to either Midway or etc -- Timney website has all one-set #'s pre-set pulls IIRC. Crisp and clean though, a timney.
    OTOH, I have also done the "Old Beaver" gunsmith spring-swap and I like it also, it's over $100 cheaper, and trigger stays 2-stage. $12-15 bucks I think.

The timney was a bit difficult to swap in b/c of how the safety rod on the (left) side of the trigger assembly is shoe-horned into the safety lever... took me more time to figure that out than all of the rest of the job.
    The spring swap-out is really simple. I also polished the surfaces of the trigger, sear and whatever they're called, to kind of smooth them out. I can get it down to 1-1.25# no sweat. I usually try for close to 2# personally. I've done the spring job on 3 RAPs.

The one thing I notice with leaving the RAP 2-stage in (even with new spring) is that the best pulls start with doing a little "pre-pull" to ensure the inner blade is free and moving... sometimes it can have a little bind/stitch right at pull so I avoid that feeling.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

It's all personal preference. The CZ trigger once I got both functions set how I wanted them. Is the cleanezt, smoothest trigger I have ever shoot. Way better then my ssa-e's I use in my ar grendels and worlds better then any timmeny I have used in savages or remmys.

Comment

• FLshooter
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2019

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
        It's all personal preference. The CZ trigger once I got both functions set how I wanted them. Is the cleanezt, smoothest trigger I have ever shoot. Way better then my ssa-e's I use in my ar grendels and worlds better then any timmeny I have used in savages or remmys.
        I still have one CZ 527 .223 varmint that has a factory trigger. That one is a little nicer than the other two were. I may try to tinker with it and see if I can adjust it to my liking. It sure would beat spending $125

Comment

• FLshooter
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2019

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
          I have installed a timney into my RAP-243 and it works great, single stage like you said, get the adjustable one for sure, think I went to either Midway or etc -- Timney website has all one-set #'s pre-set pulls IIRC. Crisp and clean though, a timney.
          OTOH, I have also done the "Old Beaver" gunsmith spring-swap and I like it also, it's over $100 cheaper, and trigger stays 2-stage. $12-15 bucks I think.

The timney was a bit difficult to swap in b/c of how the safety rod on the (left) side of the trigger assembly is shoe-horned into the safety lever... took me more time to figure that out than all of the rest of the job.
          The spring swap-out is really simple. I also polished the surfaces of the trigger, sear and whatever they're called, to kind of smooth them out. I can get it down to 1-1.25# no sweat. I usually try for close to 2# personally. I've done the spring job on 3 RAPs.

The one thing I notice with leaving the RAP 2-stage in (even with new spring) is that the best pulls start with doing a little "pre-pull" to ensure the inner blade is free and moving... sometimes it can have a little bind/stitch right at pull so I avoid that feeling.
          I looked up old beaver gun Smith on YouTube. I watched the video and they have a link to eBay the spring is $8.99 shipped. I ordered it. Thanks for telling me about it. I like the idea of keeping the two-stage trigger. And if the spring doesn’t work out I can order the Timney.

Comment

• Harpoon1
            Chieftain
            • Dec 2017

Originally posted by FLshooter View Post
            Right now I am not too unsatisfied with the RAP trigger.I did an average trigger pull test w/my Lymon digital trigger gauge.5 pulls/2.37 lbs. And that is as light as it will go with the hex screw sticking all the way out.
            Not horrible. but I also have not really gotten into seriously shooting the RAP yet. Had it out once and I?m waiting for my MDT chassis to get here on Wednesday.
            I looked at aftermarket triggers for the RAP,there are a couple of companies that make them. But I would go w/Timney.I believe you can adjust it up to 4 lbs or down to 1 1/2 pounds same as my CZ 50/527 Timney triggers. I actually got my CZ down to about 1 1/4 lbs.
            The only thing I do not care for is that the RAP Timney trigger was not two stage. Not a total deal killer. I have many one stage triggers that are great. The timney goes for $165 on the Timney site or you can go on eBay and I seen them shipped for $124.50 Probably the way to roll. Only thing ,the ones on eBay are not factory pre set to what you want.They probably come set in the middle some where and you need to adjust.No biggie.
            Just wondering what you guys think about the RAP factory trigger.And how much of an improvement would the Timney be.In the CZ I know it was a world of difference. But I happen to think the CZ set trigger is god awful. IMO,the RAP has a much better trigger from the factory than any CZ.

I put the Timney on my RAP Grendel after breaking the factory tang. Have no complaints after I adjusted it but I prefer the two stage also. Will probably swap it out and put it in RAP 308, seems more appropriate there.

MCarbo makes a spring kit for the RAP trigger. He charges around $20 for a $2 spring. I?m not complaining about his price, he did the homework, then put kit together and has good videos on how to install and adjust it. Just an observation.

You could, pull the spring, measure it, lengthwise, diameter, wire size and number of coils, etc, and order one from McMaster.

Curious what you found so awful about the CZ set trigger? I’ve only been using them a week or so and finally adjusted both of them last night. I’m impressed with them, they feel great, at least for a 1 stage trigger.
            Last edited by Harpoon1; 01-14-2020, 12:42 PM.

Comment

• FLshooter
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2019

Originally posted by Harpoon1 View Post
              I put the Timney on my RAP Grendel after breaking the factory tang. Have no complaints after I adjusted it but I prefer the two stage also. Will probably swap it out and put it in RAP 308, seems more appropriate there.

MCarbo makes a spring kit for the RAP trigger. He charges around $20 for a $2 spring. I?m not complaining about his price, he did the homework, then put kit together and has good videos on how to install and adjust it. Just an observation.

You could, pull the spring, measure it, lengthwise, diameter, wire size and number of coils, etc, and order one from McMaster.

Curious what you found so awful about the CZ set trigger? I’ve only been using them a week or so and finally adjusted both of them last night. I’m impressed with them, they feel great, at least for a 1 stage trigger.
              I am sure I can go to Ace and match up the spring old beaver gunsmith sends me. But,for $8.99 it may not be worth the gas, time or effort.
              As far as the CZ 527/550 factory trigger.I hated the set trigger.And I was ot able to get the primary trigger light enough so I replaced triggers in a couple of my CZ rifles with Timneys I love the Timneys. Like I said in my last post I’m going to tinker with my remaining CZ 527 factory trigger and see if I can get it the way I like it.

Comment

• Harpoon1
                Chieftain
                • Dec 2017

Originally posted by FLshooter View Post
                I am sure I can go to Ace and match up the spring old beaver gunsmith sends me. But,for $8.99 it may not be worth the gas, time or effort.
                As far as the CZ 527/550 factory trigger.I hated the set trigger.And I was ot able to get the primary trigger light enough so I replaced triggers in a couple of my CZ rifles with Timneys I love the Timneys. Like I said in my last post I?m going to tinker with my remaining CZ 527 factory trigger and see if I can get it the way I like it.

Gotch?ya. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X