• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FLshooter
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2019

Who owns a CZ MTR,or an RAP?

Like the rest of you guys I love the 6.5 Grendel. It?s become my favorite AR and I shoot it more than any other caliber at this time. I also love bolt action rifles and I have been kicking the idea in my head about getting a bolt action rifle in 6.5 Grendel.
    I own CZ varmint rifles and I love them because of their out of box accuracy and very few and inexpensive mods needed to get it the way I like it. The MTR looks very impressive.The adjustable trigger, the heavy barrel. Other than a $40 DIP Picatinny rail,it?s pretty much ready out of the box. I like that, because the last thing I would need right now is another gun project.I want something I can pick up shoot.
    I also like the RAP. But that would be sort of a project. I would need a chassis or stock for starters. I can?t stand the Tupperware stock.What I love about the Ruger predator is that I can easily put a new barrel on it if I want to and it uses AR mags.
    I just want to hear some pros and cons on both rifles from those of you own them.Althoug I can,i?m not in a great hurry to jump and buy a bolt action rifle.But I have been bitten by the bug,if you know what I mean.
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

I tried a howa 20" Hbbl and for the life of me, just couldn't get it to settle in for me. Did a bunch to it, the mags didn't really give me any trouble tho. So I moved on and have an RAP, the plastic stock does have some problems feeding from the AR mag, so I've got an Mdt coming... they have one chassis model that will take the AR mags, it's what they recommended that I do. Hasn't arrived yet, but soon.
    Now there is an Mdt "223" mag that fits in an AI magwell, could be however that the feed lips aren't set right for the Grr case, I don't know. It's a poly mag.
    The RAP (using the AR mag) in this latest iteration has a change to its bolt, a cut-out in the lower part to allow a double stack feed to work. The earlier bolts were shaped on the bottom to feed from a single stack, aka the rotary mags.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• FLshooter
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2019

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
      I tried a howa 20" Hbbl and for the life of me, just couldn't get it to settle in for me. Did a bunch to it, the mags didn't really give me any trouble tho. So I moved on and have an RAP, the plastic stock does have some problems feeding from the AR mag, so I've got an Mdt coming... they have one chassis model that will take the AR mags, it's what they recommended that I do. Hasn't arrived yet, but soon.
      Now there is an Mdt "223" mag that fits in an AI magwell, could be however that the feed lips aren't set right for the Grr case, I don't know. It's a poly mag.
      The RAP (using the AR mag) in this latest iteration has a change to its bolt, a cut-out in the lower part to allow a double stack feed to work. The earlier bolts were shaped on the bottom to feed from a single stack, aka the rotary mags.
      My shooting buddy has a stock RAP in 6.5 Grendel. I’ve shot it several times and I like it. It was shooting just under MOA w/some 123 grain ELD handloads I had loaded for my AR.I’m sure would do better if I worked a load up that it liked.
      I just don’t like the hollow Tupperware stock that comes w/the RAP.I was thinking about putting an MDT Oryx chassis on it. I seen them on Optics Planet for $399,liked it. I would just have find out if the oryx would accept AR mags.
      When you get your RAP squared away,it would be cool if you shared some info. Chances are if I get the RAP I will probably need to get the same chassis system you got.

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

Call mdt or the oryx folks and ask. It might just have the AI magwell, so it's good to find out ahead of time.
        I'll update here once I get it in hand. I have one of their lss for my 243 RAP and it's a tack driver...
        I do a couple of tweaks to the RAPs before I'm satisfied it will do for me. Also had a 300 BO in the RAP - 16" ranch and same tweaks but put the Boyds at-one on it... and it was just too blocky for me. Plus I wasn't really into using the powders it called for for the 110's/125's. Shot great just not my cup of tea. But again the tweaks did the trick and they (RAPs) are great shooting, affordable, rifles.... with tupperware to be sure!!

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

Magpul also has a stock but again, just the AI magwell...

Comment

• Lemonaid
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2019

After getting reports of excellent accuracy from the RAP, I saw this forum thread:
            so after fighting with cfe 223 and the 123gr nosler cc. i switched to h335, worked a ladder up from 26.2gr to 27.5gr. finally got to shoot em today and crono them. 27.2gr gave me the best accuracy much better than cfe 223 was giving me. at 100 yards with a 5-10mph cross wind i came up with a 1.2-1.3 ish 5 shot group. velocity

It convinced me to get one. Love it!
            I'm getting my own great results, my favorite Grendel so far.

Comment

• FLshooter
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2019

Originally posted by Lemonaid View Post
              After getting reports of excellent accuracy from the RAP, I saw this forum thread:
              so after fighting with cfe 223 and the 123gr nosler cc. i switched to h335, worked a ladder up from 26.2gr to 27.5gr. finally got to shoot em today and crono them. 27.2gr gave me the best accuracy much better than cfe 223 was giving me. at 100 yards with a 5-10mph cross wind i came up with a 1.2-1.3 ish 5 shot group. velocity

It convinced me to get one. Love it!
              I'm getting my own great results, my favorite Grendel so far.
              I have absolutely no doubts that the RAP in 6.5 Grendel shoots accurately. I spent some time shooting one and I love it.Just hate the Hollow stock.I like a little weight to my rifles.

Comment

• drnls1
                Bloodstained
                • Feb 2018

Boyd's is making stocks for the RAP now.

Comment

• FLshooter
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2019

Call mdt or the oryx folks and ask. It might just have the AI magwell, so it's good to find out ahead of time.
                  I'll update here once I get it in hand. I have one of their lss for my 243 RAP and it's a tack driver...
                  I do a couple of tweaks to the RAPs before I'm satisfied it will do for me. Also had a 300 BO in the RAP - 16" ranch and same tweaks but put the Boyds at-one on it... and it was just too blocky for me. Plus I wasn't really into using the powders it called for for the 110's/125's. Shot great just not my cup of tea. But again the tweaks did the trick and they (RAPs) are great shooting, affordable, rifles.... with tupperware to be sure!!
                  I emailed MDT about the Oryx.
                  No,it does not allow AR mags
                  They said the order the same one you are getting.MDT LSS XL gen2 Ruger American short action Ar
                  I checked Midway and Optics Planet. They go for $499 but I?m not even sure it?s the right one.I would probably have to call before I ordered because it does not state that it uses AR mags.I don?t want to buy a pig in a Poke. If I could get the right chassis system in my hands first then I would buy a Ruger American Predator 6.5 Grendel.I refuse to shoot that thing with the factory stock. In fact that?s the reason I?ve been holding out from buying one.
                  Where did you order your MDT chassis from and how much?

Comment

• grayfox
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2017

You're right to hesitate on those Midway etc parts. Now I like those guys but what I learned from MDT (I went directly to their website... they had some blem's on special < Christmas) is unless it says "Ruger American... AR style" it will me the AI magwell. That's what tripped me up when I ordered the first time. I had to get on the phone/email with their CS (who were great by the way) and they were able to take it back and send me now the correct one.
                    "LSS-XL Gen2 Chassis System-Ruger American SA AR-Right Handed-Carbine Interface-Cerakote BlackSKU: 104045-BLK"

Note the "AR" in the description...

So got it straight from MDT.
                    I originally bought a blem but they were willing to swap it out even-up for a good one so as to get me into the correct chassis.
                    Like I said, that is purely great.

I don't get it in hand til early next week but will report on how it does when I get the chance.

Roger also on the Boyd's, they now have an "AR" insert on the bottom of their Ruger-Predator-American's that are for the AR-style actions. Just pick the correct one from their drop-downs.

From the other Mdt's I have I wanted to give Mdt first shot for this build.

Comment

• FLshooter
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2019

You're right to hesitate on those Midway etc parts. Now I like those guys but what I learned from MDT (I went directly to their website... they had some blem's on special < Christmas) is unless it says "Ruger American... AR style" it will me the AI magwell. That's what tripped me up when I ordered the first time. I had to get on the phone/email with their CS (who were great by the way) and they were able to take it back and send me now the correct one.
                      "LSS-XL Gen2 Chassis System-Ruger American SA AR-Right Handed-Carbine Interface-Cerakote BlackSKU: 104045-BLK"

Note the "AR" in the description...

So got it straight from MDT.
                      I originally bought a blem but they were willing to swap it out even-up for a good one so as to get me into the correct chassis.
                      Like I said, that is purely great.

I don't get it in hand til early next week but will report on how it does when I get the chance.

Roger also on the Boyd's, they now have an "AR" insert on the bottom of their Ruger-Predator-American's that are for the AR-style actions. Just pick the correct one from their drop-downs.

From the other Mdt's I have I wanted to give Mdt first shot for this build.

Thank you.Now I know that it has to have AR in the description.I will try to get one.
                      The reason I like that chassis system is because I?m thinking it will make my RAP shooting experience similar to shooting my Ruger Precision rifles.Got a .223,6.5 CM and .308. All tack drivers that are a pleasure to shoot.I like the AR type chassis stocks on bolt action rifles.I shoot them well.

Comment

• grayfox
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2017

Their lss I have for my 243 makes me real happy shooting. Solid. I have an MBA-3 stock on it. solid.
                        When I'm on, eyesight and all, it can do 1/2"/100. That rifle is always on, for my 75 vmax, 100 gr and 95 gr pills.
                        I'm the weakest link.
                        Took a 112 lb doe with it this fall. 127 yds, bang-15yds-flop.

Comment

• Rosecrans1
                          Warrior
                          • Feb 2019

My RAP in 6.5 Grendel is very accurate and very consistent. It shoots Federal's factory Gold medal Berger 130gr Hybrid OTM's at a 0.25" to just under 0.5" all day. Just wish I could find the duplicate for it off my reloading bench! Used CFE223 and 8208XBR so far with most under MOA but nothing like the factory offering yet! The factory Hornaday Black ELDM's also shoot consistent MOA and under.
                          I loaded Gold Dots, SST's, ELDM and MK's and I'm at, under or just out of MOA from these. I love the gun. The gun was broken-in using the PIA method I always use when new. I epoxy-filled the fore-end of the factory stock to stiffen it up and made sure that the barrel was free-floating both when hot and cold. (Had to shave a little plastic around the end and right side of the fore-end to accomplish this). I added a piece of insulation foam & foil with about a half lb of weight to the rear stock, had the gun apart and solvent cleaned the parts including the rail before putting it back together and added a decent scope. I also switched to the ASC magazines because of feed issues with a stiff spring mag. After a few rounds through it, it now uses just about every mag I put in it. The stock is the weak link on these guns but I'm keeping mine in the stock it is wearing. It's still very light and it's accurate. I have a spare Predator stock that I'm going to go black with. Can't stand that green!!

Comment

• FLshooter
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2019

Originally posted by Rosecrans1 View Post
                            My RAP in 6.5 Grendel is very accurate and very consistent. It shoots Federal's factory Gold medal Berger 130gr Hybrid OTM's at a 0.25" to just under 0.5" all day. Just wish I could find the duplicate for it off my reloading bench! Used CFE223 and 8208XBR so far with most under MOA but nothing like the factory offering yet! The factory Hornaday Black ELDM's also shoot consistent MOA and under.
                            I loaded Gold Dots, SST's, ELDM and MK's and I'm at, under or just out of MOA from these. I love the gun. The gun was broken-in using the PIA method I always use when new. I epoxy-filled the fore-end of the factory stock to stiffen it up and made sure that the barrel was free-floating both when hot and cold. (Had to shave a little plastic around the end and right side of the fore-end to accomplish this). I added a piece of insulation foam & foil with about a half lb of weight to the rear stock, had the gun apart and solvent cleaned the parts including the rail before putting it back together and added a decent scope. I also switched to the ASC magazines because of feed issues with a stiff spring mag. After a few rounds through it, it now uses just about every mag I put in it. The stock is the weak link on these guns but I'm keeping mine in the stock it is wearing. It's still very light and it's accurate. I have a spare Predator stock that I'm going to go black with. Can't stand that green!!
                            Consistent 1/4 inch -1/2 inch groups @ 100yrds is what shooters dream about.I can do that with my Bartlein heavy 24 in Barrel aR 6.5 Grendel.It likes 120gn SMK and 123gn ELDM.W/27.3GN H335 powder.
                            You’re getting good groups with 130 grain hybrid Berger bullets.That’s probably what you need to hand load,they are $45 a box at Midway. I’d start with H335 powder. I’ve had very good luck with that it’s been very consistent for me. But the problem that I’ve had with Berger bullets in the past is that they are very finicky with the powder amounts.

Comment

• FLshooter
                              Chieftain
                              • Jun 2019

I decided I’m going to go with an RAP.Grayfox set me right on the MDT chassis system I need and I ordered that. The rifle is coming from Sportsmans Guide ,they drag their feet a little with shipping,but I’ll let you know how it shoots when I get it.
                              The MDT chassis system sealed the deal for me.Because,I already like how the RAP shoots.Another thing I like about the RAP is that it is easy to rebarrel ,if I ever wanted to put a quality heavy barrel on it.Cost is the same as a quality AR barrel.
                              Have you ever tried to re-barrel a CZ 550 or 527? They don’t come pre-fit so they have to be custom fit which will run you twice as much. To me that’s a factor to consider.

Comment

Working...
                              X