X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hill37
    Warrior
    • Apr 2017

Preferred Barrel blanks told me they would put change out the Zavasta's barrel for the same price as a Howa Mini. Best I can tell they are both 22mm but one is 1pitch and the other is 1.5. Metric threads are a mystery to me. That is a shoulder fit not nut type. They might do a switch barrel if for a price.

Comment

• Harpoon1
      Chieftain
      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by hill37 View Post
      Preferred Barrel blanks told me they would put change out the Zavasta's barrel for the same price as a Howa Mini. Best I can tell they are both 22mm but one is 1pitch and the other is 1.5. Metric threads are a mystery to me. That is a shoulder fit not nut type. They might do a switch barrel if for a price.
      Alright, thanks for the intel.

Have a couple of Savage?s that could be candidates also. I emailed them last week and they apparently have no immediate plans for the 6.5G anytime soon. I like the idea of using a Savage for their generous mag length and ease of swapping bolt heads and barrels.

Anyway, if this Zastava is a shooter, the Savage conversion will be more likely. There?s a lot to like about the Savage conversions but, their triggers are a continuing weak spot, at least for me.
      Last edited by Harpoon1; 12-27-2019, 11:39 PM.

Comment

• hill37
        Warrior
        • Apr 2017

Zavasta told me that the may sell just the actions. I guess it depends on demand.

Comment

• Mark611
          Warrior
          • Feb 2017

Their are other trigger options for the savage triggers like the accu triggers, Rifle Basics makes a very good single stage adjustable trigger for the bottom bolt release rifles,

Comment

• tdbru
            Warrior
            • Dec 2019

Remington sold them for awhile as their model 799. i picked one up in 7.62x39. it's the same as the Zastava M85.

extractor doesn't hold the case head back against the bolt face so the ejector can kick it out. cases come out and sit in the action. throat measured 0.323" however Rem claimed it was SAAMI. sigh... rebarreled it to 6.5 Grendel. still don't have the extractor issue resolved.

hopefully Zastava has upped their quality. i have been quite disappointed with mine. anyone know where to get another extractor?
            -tdbru

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Another forum member had trouble with his 7.62x39 extractor on a Zastava bolt action and ordered parts directly from Zastava USA. I bet their extractor and parts are exactly the same as the Remington 799.

Comment

• Harpoon1
                Chieftain
                • Dec 2017

Finally got a chance to shoot it. The accuracy was disappointing, at least compared to the Howa. Tried 8 or 9 different loads, cheap wolf, golden tiger, etc.......along with some brass ammo, American Eagle, PPU and Hornady Black SST. Everything pretty much sucked. 2.5 maybe 2 MOA at 100 was the best I got. Most where 3+ MOA! Actually shot 124 FMJ Golden tiger as well as anything, and that?s good because I?ve got ship load of it! IDK, 6,7,8000+ rounds of it. Anyway I?ll work a handload or two and see what happens.

And.........the internal mag is very fiddlely to load. The first round want to slide underneath the bolt and jam. Once that happens, there?s no forcing the other ro7nds on top to try and push the first round into position. The trick seems to be, load the gun with it level, and things go much smoother. And brass ammo loads much easier the poly or lacquered steel. Who knew?

I also made the mistake of using a full rail. There?s just not enough room, at least for me, to comfortably load the gun with a full rail. It was the first thing I came across for the gun, so, went with it. It?s coming off as soon as possible and replaced with either 2 piece bases or ?backcountry? style rings.

The good news is, picked up the CZ on the way home from the range. I got lucky and won the wood lottery, it?s got pretty nice grain orientation and an appealing color. Almost Teak like. Anyway, I?m very happy with it, hope it shoots. The CZ is a true ?Mauser? type action where the Zastava is more of a conventional push feed, even though they claim it’s a “mini Mauser”. CZ fit and finish, machine work and bolt manipulation all feel/look better with the CZ, much nicer. Of course it cost $100 more too. What?s the saying, ?you?ll continue to enjoy the quality, long after the price point is forgotten?.

Edited: also, what’s up with all the quotation marks in my post, being replaced with question marks? This has been going on for a while, kind of irritating!
                Last edited by Harpoon1; 01-02-2020, 11:18 PM.

Comment

• Dinny
                  Warrior
                  • Jun 2016

Originally posted by Harpoon1 View Post
                  Edited: also, what?s up with all the quotation marks in my post, being replaced with question marks? This has been going on for a while, kind of irritating!
                  Do you use talk-to-text on a phone to "type" your replies? My friend does that with text messaging and it turns out the same, with a bunch of question marks.

What are your plans for the Zastava M85? I know a good Mauser smith who could rebarrel it and work out most any other kinks it has but he's not cheap nor is he fast.

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• VASCAR2
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

I use an iPad and it continually changes punctuation. I think it is a server glitch as it is worst on this site.

Comment

• Harpoon1
                      Chieftain
                      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Dinny View Post
                      Do you use talk-to-text on a phone to "type" your replies? My friend does that with text messaging and it turns out the same, with a bunch of question marks.

What are your plans for the Zastava M85? I know a good Mauser smith who could rebarrel it and work out most any other kinks it has but he's not cheap nor is he fast.

Thanks, Dinny
                      No, it’s happening on the iPad. I’ve noticed if I go back and edit after posting, and fix the errors, it seems to solve the issue. That’s a pita though.

Good question. I’ve tried several handloads now that work well with the Howa and it’s still a no go. Definitely doesn’t like .308 bullets, where the Howa will shoot them. I’m about out of options without changing brass, primers and a new powder. Originally I had planned on probably converting it a Grendel if it didn’t shoot. Now, after getting the CZ 527 Grendel, that shoots well, and my Howa Grendel that also shoots well, I may just rebarrel it with a .308 bore 7.62x39. That would open up a bunch of other bullets choices, and my 7.62x39 Howa shoot some of the Wolf steel really well, so I can shoot cheap ammo with it. We’ll see........

Dinny who’s your Mauser-smith? Is he local? I see your in Gloucester, I’m down here in Va Beach. Got a guy down here that’s pretty good also but, he’s always busy, backed up. Buying a reamer, new barrel, labor and I’m into it for at least another $800+. Not sure I want to sink that much more into this thing. For that much, I could just get another CZ 527 in 7.62x39 this time!
                      Last edited by Harpoon1; 01-22-2020, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X