• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

Choosing a stock for my RAP Grendel

Ok, so I've got a new ruger RAP Grendel on the way. I already know the stock will probably have to go, although I do plan to try epoxy in the forearm to stiffen it...
    But of the replacement stocks, which way to go? Rugers now come as an AR mag rifle, which I like.
    The MDT/Oryx chassis (I have one MDT for a 243) needs the AI mags and I don't want to mess with making them work. (for the 243 it's doing very nicely).
    The B&C, they don't adapt to the AR mags, either. (I asked gunner75 on this).
    So it looks like Boyds, which by the way now has AR-mag-style design stocks for the RAP.

So, if Boyds, which one? Regardless of the choice I will need to add in cheek riser (even for the other mfrs), I've used the Matthew Kydex and they work great, but this one might just be the strap-on style.

I had a howa in the Provarmint and it was, well, a tad heavy for me but ok. In the howa with scope and rings it topped out at about 9.5 lbs... which would be ok I guess but if I could get down to 9 it might be a better setup.

I had a RAP (300 BO) with the At-one and it did all the tricks but, well, felt really blocky to me and a bit bulky.
    I have a prairie hunter on an Axis, seems ok.
    I've looked a bit at the featherweight thumb-hole... don't know much about it. Maybe it won't take the strap-on cheek riser b/c of the stock shape on the right hand side?

Anyway, some opinions would be great! What do y'all think...

edit to add: Magpul has its hunter american but again, doesn't adapt to an AR mag...
    Last edited by grayfox; 11-12-2019, 12:44 PM.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
  • daved20319
    Warrior
    • May 2019

Personally, I like the Pro Varmint, that's what I should have gotten for my Howa instead of the Classic, a "mistake" I'll be rectifying soon. That said, the Classic is a nice stock shape in a more traditional style, and would work just fine with a cheek riser. Don't know what it weighs, but I think it's about the same as the Pro Varmint. But then, weight isn't an issue for me, all my bolt guns are bench guns, so the more, the merrier. Much as I like pistol grips, I don't care for thumb hole stocks, they always seem to want to rub on my thumb joint, or in extreme cases, cramp my thumb. Hope that's at least a little help. Good luck, and happy shopping.

Comment

• drnls1
      Bloodstained
      • Feb 2018

I'm looking at the Prairie Hunter and Heritage. Thought about the At one then remembered as the OP noted about the stock being blocky. So glad they decided to add the RAP.

Comment

Working...
      X