What's your preferred mag for a RAP 6.5G?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wanderson
    Warrior
    • Oct 2018

What's your preferred mag for a RAP 6.5G?

Just picked up a RAP 6.5g and curious what mags you prefer.

Til now I've shot 6.5G out of a 20" & 12" AR platform and have had zero issues with elander 17s and CPD 26s
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

You basicly have 3 choices. ASC, elander, cpd.

In my mind CPD makes the best grendel mags right now plus they give you the most room for handloads.

Hope this helps sir.

Comment

• Wanderson
      Warrior
      • Oct 2018

I'm asking cause my RAP doesn't see to reliably feed my snapcaps. Unfortunately, I've only got two A Zooms.
      I've heard of issues with the last round feeding and the CPD 10 rounder it came with will always feed the first round fine but not the second.
      The elander 17 won't feed the first or the second. Running the bolt fast or slow doesn't seem to matter. Seems like the shoulder is hanging on the feed ramp/guide.

I think smoothing out the sharp edges of the ramp/guide with a hand file may be a good starting point. Seems like if it doesn't jump over that, it catches. I was more curious if anyone's having better reliability with CPDs over ASCs or elanders in RAPs. I've got some 10 round elanders, 15 round ASCs and another 10 round CPD incoming. Will try to shim the backs of the mags to take out the front/back play and try to get my feed angle up a bit. It'll be a few weeks before I can get to the range so I'm trying to put my down time to good use.

If it only runs 100% with CPDs I'm good with that. And they all may cycle live ammo just fine, but I don't have what I'd consider a safe place to cycle live ammo thru mine so I wait til I get to the range.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

D&H sell a ten round 6.5 Grendel mag and PSA carries them. I haven’t purchased any of the ten round D&H mags but PSA show they are in stock.

Last edited by VASCAR2; 09-20-2019, 12:56 PM.

Comment

• Wanderson
          Warrior
          • Oct 2018

Did not know D&H has a 6.5g mag out.
          I’ve had good luck with their 5.56 & .300bo mags, may try one of these too.

I wrapped my mags in electrical tape just below the mag catch, that took a lot of the play out and doesn’t snag on the magwell. Probably won’t fit in my ARs though. But it didn’t change my feed issues. I smoothed out the guide but rounds were still nosediving after the guide and slamming in to the bottom of the barrel face. So I beveled the bottom just a bit and no more feed issues. Even with last round. Not with snapcaps anyways.

Comment

• Rosecrans1
            Warrior
            • Feb 2019

I have better luck with the Elanders in my RAP but mine also has feed issues though I don't want to be called "silly" by bringing it up.
            Smoothing the lips on the feed ramp will greatly help if yours are hanging. That and taking the slop out of the mag. The key to that is making sure the front of the mag is at it's highest when you do.
            In all seriousness, I would suggest, as was mentioned in another post, that if you have feed issues with the C Products factory mag and you can't find an AR mag that will feed properly, you send the rifle back to Ruger for repairs or re-fitting. Feeding on the Mini-Action 6.5 RAP is a problem and it is affecting a lot of shooters who came to expect a good product from Ruger based on past purchases.

Comment

• Wanderson
              Warrior
              • Oct 2018

Yea based on what I see out of the box the 6.5G would have fed better using the Ranch instead of the Predator, that’s a long way for an AR15 length cartridge to jump. Reminds me of my PTR-32, a .308 platform rechambered for 7.62x39. The only mags that were reliable were Magpuls cause they fed higher than surplus.

I picked up a RAR in .300bo earlier this year and it’s been 100% right out of the box with every mag I can find.

I also saw another thread about loose mounting screws on their RAP pic rail and glad I checked mine, loose enough to unscrew with two fingers, added some blue loctite & torqued properly. I went back & checked my .300bo, those were tight, but I added loctite to those as well.

Howa has the right idea with their micro action platform. A RAP in 6.5 Creedmore would probably made more sense but Grendel does what I need with minimal recoil.

Comment

• Rosecrans1
                Warrior
                • Feb 2019

I wanted to update my response to this post concerning Mags for the RAP and my long and educational experience with it. I had feed issues right out of the gate. I am/was not alone!!!!!!!! A few of us from the same gun club in my rural area experienced the same issues. Many more online state the same thing with the MINI action rifle in Grendel. (Far fewer with the standard short and long actions).
                I tried different things including JB welding a small tab of metal to the back of a 4/5 round Elander to take out the wiggle. This worked better but was not a very smooth cycle. I used Elander, ASC and C Prod mags of different capacity. What I eventually found was a complete stock for the Mini RAP in 6.5 Grr including the bottom piece online. I bought it and swapped out the action to this same Gen two stock as my original using the new bottom piece and then tried the different mags I had. This swap and the use of the ASC 4/5 round mags gave me 100% smooth feeding on my RAP. The ASC's do not have the spring tension as the others and that is the key. Long story short, there was a problem with my rifle from the factory and it should/could have been sent back no questions asked for repair or replacement. I had already dremeled the barrel channel out and I really didn't want to send it back. So, if you are having issues with feeding. In particular, you load the mag all the way to max and the first round is hard to strip off AND the last round fails to chamber creating a stove pipe jams, you have too much spring tension. Elanders are very heavy on the springs. If you are having issues, the factory C Prods will work if you load them up to max and keep them loaded for weeks until you take some of the tension from them. But the cheap little ASC's worked for me right out of the plastic. I want to emphasize, my fail to feed was severe. Possibly using an ASC mag, (4/5 rounder), may help those who have occasional hiccups with their RAPS.
                Of course, your individual results may very. Use only as directed. Follow all safety precautions. Please use responsibly. Yadda Yadda Yadda.

Comment

• cwmoss
                  Unwashed
                  • Sep 2019

Originally posted by Rosecrans1 View Post
                  I wanted to update my response to this post concerning Mags for the RAP and my long and educational experience with it. I had feed issues right out of the gate. I am/was not alone!!!!!!!! A few of us from the same gun club in my rural area experienced the same issues. Many more online state the same thing with the MINI action rifle in Grendel. (Far fewer with the standard short and long actions).
                  I tried different things including JB welding a small tab of metal to the back of a 4/5 round Elander to take out the wiggle. This worked better but was not a very smooth cycle. I used Elander, ASC and C Prod mags of different capacity. What I eventually found was a complete stock for the Mini RAP in 6.5 Grr including the bottom piece online. I bought it and swapped out the action to this same Gen two stock as my original using the new bottom piece and then tried the different mags I had. This swap and the use of the ASC 4/5 round mags gave me 100% smooth feeding on my RAP. The ASC's do not have the spring tension as the others and that is the key. Long story short, there was a problem with my rifle from the factory and it should/could have been sent back no questions asked for repair or replacement. I had already dremeled the barrel channel out and I really didn't want to send it back. So, if you are having issues with feeding. In particular, you load the mag all the way to max and the first round is hard to strip off AND the last round fails to chamber creating a stove pipe jams, you have too much spring tension. Elanders are very heavy on the springs. If you are having issues, the factory C Prods will work if you load them up to max and keep them loaded for weeks until you take some of the tension from them. But the cheap little ASC's worked for me right out of the plastic. I want to emphasize, my fail to feed was severe. Possibly using an ASC mag, (4/5 rounder), may help those who have occasional hiccups with their RAPS.
                  Of course, your individual results may very. Use only as directed. Follow all safety precautions. Please use responsibly. Yadda Yadda Yadda.
                  Am I missing something here? You mention the Mini RAP in 6.5 Grr. The only Mini-Action 6.5 Grendel I know of is the Howa. The first 6.5 Grr I bought was the Ruger Predator. I didn't like the way it fed. A friend had a Howa Mini in the Grr, and the thing cycled so slick, I bought a Howa. So I have one of each and would like to get the RAP to cycle better. Could you post up some pics of your setup?

Comment

• Rosecrans1
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2019

CW.....my setup looks like any Ruger American Predator. If you bought a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Grendel, you have a mini action RAP. The action is shorter than a RAP in standard short actions. (.243, .308, 7mm08, etc). The Howa 1500 is made in mini action, short action and long action.
                    I know what you are experiencing with cycling in your rifle. Mine would barely chamber and cycle.
                    If you haven't tried the ASC 5 round mag, (which I call 4/5 rounders because it likes 4 in it rather than 5), order one up. Primary Arms had them at under 13 bucks on sale this past week. The weaker spring really made a difference in my gun once I changed out the stock and bottom plastic.
                    Again, from what you described, your gun cycles but not smoothly so the ASC mag may make the difference. Another fix for you would be to open up one of your 6.5Grr mags and snip one coil at a time off the bottom of the spring checking with each reduction of the spring if cycling improves. If you can get one or two of your mags to work in the RAP by doing this, problem solved but these mags may not work well in an AR. You may also want to look at the feed ramp of your RAP. Some can benefit from a polishing to improve cycling.

Comment

• Wanderson
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2018

I think there’s truth in the theory that strong springs may cause a feed issue in 6.5g RAPs, at least on the last round. Watching how snap caps feed I see that when the last round starts, as soon as the cartridge clears the feed lips the follower snaps to the top, kicking the rear of the cartridge up high before the bolt grabs it, causing it to nose down.

Gonna try clipping a coil spring or two and see how that does.

Comment

• rookie7
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jan 2018

Rosencrans1, not trying to argue with you here, but you information on a Ruger "mini" action is incorrect.

Ruger only makes 2 action lengths in the American line - short and long.

They chamber 223, 204 ruger, 300 blk, 6.5 grendel, 350 legend, 450 BM, and 7.62x39 in the same length action they chamber 243, 6mm creed, 6.5 creed, 7mm/08, and 308. They even did a short run of the Predator in 260 remington.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Rosecrans1 View Post
                          CW.....my setup looks like any Ruger American Predator. If you bought a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Grendel, you have a mini action RAP. The action is shorter than a RAP in standard short actions. (.243, .308, 7mm08, etc). The Howa 1500 is made in mini action, short action and long action.
                          I know what you are experiencing with cycling in your rifle. Mine would barely chamber and cycle.
                          If you haven't tried the ASC 5 round mag, (which I call 4/5 rounders because it likes 4 in it rather than 5), order one up. Primary Arms had them at under 13 bucks on sale this past week. The weaker spring really made a difference in my gun once I changed out the stock and bottom plastic.
                          Again, from what you described, your gun cycles but not smoothly so the ASC mag may make the difference. Another fix for you would be to open up one of your 6.5Grr mags and snip one coil at a time off the bottom of the spring checking with each reduction of the spring if cycling improves. If you can get one or two of your mags to work in the RAP by doing this, problem solved but these mags may not work well in an AR. You may also want to look at the feed ramp of your RAP. Some can benefit from a polishing to improve cycling.
                          Can you pull the bolt out and measure it for us?

Comment

• cwmoss
                            Unwashed
                            • Sep 2019

Originally posted by rookie7 View Post
                            Rosencrans1, not trying to argue with you here, but you information on a Ruger "mini" action is incorrect.

Ruger only makes 2 action lengths in the American line - short and long.

They chamber 223, 204 ruger, 300 blk, 6.5 grendel, 350 legend, 450 BM, and 7.62x39 in the same length action they chamber 243, 6mm creed, 6.5 creed, 7mm/08, and 308. They even did a short run of the Predator in 260 remington.
                            Rookie7 is correct, I have put my Ruger Predator 6.5 Grendel in a Magpul stock that is for the 243, 6.5VM, 708 and 308 calibers, so, the 6.5 Grr RAP is the same length as those.
                            I am gonna get one of those ASC 5 round mags to try.

Comment

• Rosecrans1
                              Warrior
                              • Feb 2019

I went by what I was told by a Brownell's customer service Rep. He told me that the Ruger American Predator Magpul stock wouldn't fit the Grendel because the Grendel was much smaller than the standard short action RAP's. I stand corrected. So I am to assume the BIG difference between the smaller cartridge RAP Grendels, Blackouts, 223's, etc and the standard short actions is the bottom piece that secures the action to the RAP's stock?
                              I wanted to put this action in another stock until that conversation. Thinking it would not fit lead me to find someone's RAP Grendel factory stock and bottom piece online to swap into my action. (Which corrected the feed problems with the ASC small capacity mag). It was way cheaper than a Magpul stock too! I think I'll keep the factory stock since I have it epoxied to firm it up and weight balanced with a cheek riser. It is still lighter than the Magpul stock and accurate plus the issue with poor cycling is fixed.

Blaster: The length of my complete RAP 6.5Grr bolt un-cocked is 7 inches.

Well if anything, I hope the ASC 5 round mags or the suggestion of alleviation of spring tension can help others who are having feed issues and again, thanks for setting me straight on this. It's good to know if I stumble upon another Ruger Grr that someone wants to part with.

PS.I think Primary Arms sold out of their ASC Grendel Mags during that sale last week. I just checked and they are not listed. Many here posted that the Stoner Grendel mags at Palmetto State are ASC mags but i have no experience with them.
                              Last edited by Rosecrans1; 10-06-2019, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X