• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FLshooter
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2019

Thinking about getting a 6.5 Grendel bolt action

The CZ 527 w/24? barrel looks good.Every CZ rifle I own is a shooter.Downside is CZ are finicky and it will take time to figure out what it likes.
    Was looking at a Ruger American predator 6.5 Grendel.My buddy has one in 223 that?s a tack driver.Downside is I hate the stock.But,there are aftermarket replacements.
    A howa heavy barreled action would work.I would get a Boyd?s stock to set it in.Downside is that I am not sure they make a 24? heavy barreled action.
    Then I was thinking about taking my Ruger precision 556,getting a Criterion or Krieger 26? bull barrel.The barrel is the easy part.I would have to send the bolt out for work.And the mag would need customization too.Downside is that it may not be worth the trouble ,as is the case with conversions
    I am going to use this for shooting 600yrds prone and some Benchrest.
    Now,this is not something I am not going to do right away.I have new builds that I haven?t even shot yet.I have several projects and I get side tracked a lot.
    Last edited by FLshooter; 08-10-2019, 01:11 PM. Reason: Spelling
  • FW Conch
    Warrior
    • Nov 2014

^^ Your avatar wouldn't have anything to do with that, would it ??? he,he,he

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

If you just have to have a 24 inch bolt action. Get the cz 527 American varmint.

If not go with the howa 20 inch heavy barreled action.

Forget the ruger. Ar15 mags have no place in a bolt action.

Comment

• BobinNC
        Warrior
        • Oct 2017

For what your going to use it for: 600yrds prone and some Benchrest, look at this:

Discontinued 2021. Clad in a target-style stock and with a fully-adjustable trigger, the MTR combines accuracy and ergonomics.

CZ-527-Varmint-Match-Target-Rifle-MTR-3-660x295.jpg

Comment

• Javman
          Warrior
          • Jan 2016

Only down side to the CZ is the 1-9" twist for me personally speaking.

Comment

• BobinNC
            Warrior
            • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Javman View Post
            Only down side to the CZ is the 1-9" twist for me personally speaking.
            You would think so, but Berger's 120 gr BT Target bullet only requires a 1:9 Twist, and their 130 gr AR Hybrid OTM Tactical only requires a 1:10 Twist. Bullets heavier than 130 gr are really the province of bigger cases like the 6.5x47 Lapua or the 6.5 Creedmoor rather than the little 6.5 Grendel.

Comment

• HickLife
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2018

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
              If you just have to have a 24 inch bolt action. Get the cz 527 American varmint.

If not go with the howa 20 inch heavy barreled action.

Forget the ruger. Ar15 mags have no place in a bolt action.
              Why is that? Having a couple extra rounds never hurt anyone. Maybe if you try to use the 24rd mags you could have issues with it hitting the ground but I don’t see anything wrong with the 17rd magazines or smaller

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

Originally posted by HickLife View Post
                Why is that? Having a couple extra rounds never hurt anyone. Maybe if you try to use the 24rd mags you could have issues with it hitting the ground but I don’t see anything wrong with the 17rd magazines or smaller
                A ar mag sticking out the bottom of a bolt action is about as awesome as teets on a bore hog.

Why would someone want the same mag length restrictions of the ar15 in their bolt action is beyond my knowledge.

Comment

• Javman
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2016

For me my 1-8" RAP shoots freaking awesome from the 85 Sierras up to the 123 grainers so far, but I'm only at 140 Ft above sea level. The Ruger has yet to disappoint! Just my .02!

Comment

• kmon
                    Chieftain
                    • Feb 2015

My CZ has a 22 inch 1:8.4 and Berger 130 AR Hybrid and 129gr LRAB are no problem. I have a couple loads for the 6.5-284 with the 140 VLD hunting bullets shot from a 24 inch 1:9 twist, one runs at 2700 the other at 2900 fps and both are sub half MOA shooters. Pretty much if the Berger Calculator says a bullet will be stable it will be.

I have taken both the 6.5-284 loads to 790 yards busting MOAish sized rocks Furthterest I have shot for a group with them is 417 yards, max available at that range and got 1.25 to 1.75 inch groups from both loads and a 2 inch group from the CZ Grendel . Good enough IMO

Comment

• VASCAR2
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

I have the Cz 527 American 24” 6.5 Grendel which has a 1:8 twist barrel. According to the Cz web site the Varmint MTR 6.5 Grendel has a 24” 1:8 twist barrel. I think if you want a 24” barrel bolt action your looking at a Cz or rebarreling a Howa. I think the Ruger 6.5 Grendel has a 22” barrrel.

Comment

• HickLife
                        Bloodstained
                        • Dec 2018

Why would someone want the same mag length restrictions of the ar15 in their bolt action is beyond my knowledge.
                        What do you mean mag length restrictions?

Comment

• Javman
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2016

Your correct Ruger has a 22" barrel but balances out nicely for me. Has really proven its self accuracy wise!

Comment

• PGW Steve
                            Bloodstained
                            • Sep 2017

I've got an MTR in 6.5 Grendel, it's a 1-8 twist and it shoots great with 123's. My preferred load is 108 Scenars at 2740, I jam them .007" into the lands and they just fit the mag.

Comment

• HickLife
                              Bloodstained
                              • Dec 2018

A ar mag sticking out the bottom of a bolt action is about as awesome as teets on a bore hog.

Nevermind, you meant oal for the round, I get it. Guess it depends on what trade offs you want

Comment

Working...
                              X