• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rabiddawg
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2013

For those wondering.

I just got off the phone with Troy at Bullberry Legacy(new owner of Bullberry). He will not build a 6.5 Grendel barrel for a Contender or G2 Contender. Bummer, I have a Contender.
    Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by rabiddawg View Post
      For those wondering.

I just got off the phone with Troy at Bullberry Legacy(new owner of Bullberry). He will not build a 6.5 Grendel barrel for a Contender or G2 Contender. Bummer, I have a Contender.
      MGM will build you one custom to your likeing for under 400 bucks. For both the contender or encore frame.

Comment

• kmon
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2015

A good read on pressures with the contender.

From the pages of The IHMSA News, Shooting sports, hand gun, ammo, cartridges, xp 100, reloading, firearm, cast bullet, bullet casting and more information articles

I have seen frames of Contenders (old ones) stretched by roo many over pressure loads for the platform.

Comment

• JASmith
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2014

For those wondering.

That is consistent with my understanding too. My suggestion was based on the Encore.

Apologies for creating a bit of confusion.

Even though I live California, Paul and I visited their shop in Hurricane a couple of times going to and from SHOT.

Troy is good people and, even though many of us congratulate Fred in retirement, I am happy he has picked up the reins.
          shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
          -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• rabiddawg
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2013

I very much enjoyed talking with him.

A5, after my conversation with Troy I won’t risk damaging my contender. Troy feels the Grendel is just too close to the limit. Mine is a Contender; not G2 Contender.

Mark Twain

Comment

• A5BLASTER
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2015

I very much enjoyed talking with him.

A5, after my conversation with Troy I won’t risk damaging my contender. Troy feels the Grendel is just too close to the limit. Mine is a Contender; not G2 Contender.
              That's why I bought the bare encore frame, so I don't have to worrie about pressure damaging it.

Planning a 28 inch barreled range toy and a second barrel done up in 358 grendel for primitive weapon season.

Comment

• rabiddawg
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2013

I use mine for primative also. 44mag 21” thumbhole laminate stock and forearm. Sweet little thumper

Mark Twain

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

I don't know what it is about the TC Contender but I've always wanted one, and I'm a filthy gas gun guy through-and-through.

I can't think of a more ideal cartridge for it, whether shooting steel silhouettes or hunting.
                  NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• 1Shot
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2018

I went over to the MGM web site and they say that the 6.5 Grendel is to be used on G2 Contender frames ONLY and Encore of course.

They also list now a number of calibers as G2 ONLY that used to not have this warning. Thank goodness the 30-30AI is not on that list. Even if it was I would still be shooting it on my G1 frame like I have for about 10 years with no problems.
                    Last edited by 1Shot; 02-24-2020, 01:25 PM.

Comment

• Bobke
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2015

Curious to know from those owning and loading 6.5 Grendel in any format Contender, what spec is chamber cut to-SAAMI or something with a bit longer throat/freebore that would allow for longer COAL?
                      Also, have two older Contender frames that could use some attention-what gunsmith would you consider for a serious tuneup? Is SSK still viable? Others?

Comment

• 1Shot
                        Warrior
                        • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Bobke View Post
                        Curious to know from those owning and loading 6.5 Grendel in any format Contender, what spec is chamber cut to-SAAMI or something with a bit longer throat/freebore that would allow for longer COAL?
                        Also, have two older Contender frames that could use some attention-what gunsmith would you consider for a serious tuneup? Is SSK still viable? Others?
                        Do a Google for the Specialty Pistols forum. Go there and ask this question and you will be guided to where you need to go.

Comment

• GregP42
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Bobke View Post
                          Hit the IHMSA forum and ask who is the goto person now. I used a local that is now retired due to age and health.

Greg

Comment

• Chev2500
                            Bloodstained
                            • Aug 2018

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                            That's why I bought the bare encore frame, so I don't have to worrie about pressure damaging it.

Planning a 28 inch barreled range toy and a second barrel done up in 358 grendel for primitive weapon season.
                            I have quite a few Encore's and Contender's- from 20 Vartarg to 416 Rigby. I use a lot of Bellm tc parts and info- excellent source for the TC guns. He did an accuracy test with 5 different barrels in an Encore with 28' barrels and then cutting them to 23". Here is the link if you're interested: https://www.bellmtcs.com/blog/barreltest/

Comment

• JASmith
                              Chieftain
                              • Sep 2014

The Encore will certainly accommodate long cartridges if the chamber is designed for them. One will likely also get excellent accuracy when using ammunition tailored to the longer throat.

The price paid is that factory ammunition may not be as accurate due to the expected greater jump.
                              shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                              -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

Working...
                              X