• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frontier Gear
    Warrior
    • Nov 2017

Howa in a Boyds AT-One "Ripple" Stock

New Howa build has begun. For the past year, I have been looking at making/buying a nice bolt gun. Something that actually gets placed in a gun case before going in my Jeep and doesn't just bounce around in the back. I wanted a nice finish on the metal and a non-synthetic stock as well as a flush fit mag. Tikka, Remington, Ruger M77, Savage and modifying a Ruger American were all considered. After deciding on the 6.5 Grendel my choices were a little limited though. I followed the threads on the Rem 700 custom 6.5 Grendel build and one done with a Savage. Both were interesting, but not quite what I was looking for in the end.

The Ruger American in 6.5 Grendel yet to has a decent stock option and the AR mags are anything but flush fit. The finish on the metal isn't very attractive either.

The CZ was about the closest thing to what I was looking for, but I don't think that I could ever get a flush fit mag for it.

The Howa has been the best bet yet, but there are a few things that I have been waiting for before building it.
    • Boyds fixed the inletting issues.
    • The bottom plastic issue has been resolved thanks to DIPinc.
    • The mag can be modified to flush fit and still feed reliably.
    • The mag release can be modified to be easy to use but still not drop the mag accidentally.
    • I've tested the Howa and know that it's accurate, smooth, has a great trigger, feeds reliably and I like the 3 position safety.

There are a few other modifications that I have in mind at a later date.

So I ordered the Boyds AT-One stock in Blue Ripple Sky. It's going to house a 20" lightweight barreled action. The current plan is to make some steel pillars on my lathe and do a little epoxy bedding, but we will see what it looks like once it arrives. I'll post a pic of the stock when it gets here. I hadn't seen them offer the "ripple" pattern before, so I hope that I like it.
    Engineer, FFL and Pastor
  • jhoyda
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2017

I've been thinking about the exact same combination. I'm interested to see how this turns out.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
      Warrior
      • Nov 2017

Wow, I already received a tracking number for the stock. I wonder how long before it actually gets shipped.
      Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Frontier Gear
        Warrior
        • Nov 2017

Since, according to FedEx, the stock is now scheduled to be here next Wednesday, I figured that I would start on the project.

Here is the barreled action as it comes from Brownells.

The first thing that we need to do is to get rid of that bottom plastic, but we have to re-use the mag release lever, mag release spring and mag release pivot pin. So remove the bottom plastic from the action and get a punch and a bench block. You can just use a pice of wood with a hole drilled in it as well.

Drive out the pin, but don't loose it.

Take note of the spring orientation before you remove the punch and don't loose the spring either. The long end of the spring goes up against the trigger guard and the short end goes up against the mag release lever.
        Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Frontier Gear
          Warrior
          • Nov 2017

A small magnetic tray is really handy to keep all the little pieces together. I keep an eye out on the Harbor Freight coupons and pick them up when they are free. I usually buy a pair of gloves and get a free tray.

Now we need to make a slave pin so we can install the mag release parts into the new bottom metal. I found that a Q-Tip is just the perfect size. Cut a chunk of your Q-Tip (or whatever it that you are using) to be the exact width of the mag release lever. Now assembly the spring into the lever and use the Q-Tip chunk to hold it all together.

Now insert the lever into the new bottom metal and use the pivot pin to push out the Q-Tip piece.

Alright, that was the hardest part. Notice that the spring is sticking out the top of the bottom metal. This isn't an issue with the factory stock and I have yet to hear about it being a problem in a Boyds stock either. I guess that we will see when it gets here.
          Last edited by Frontier Gear; 08-31-2018, 01:58 PM.
          Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Frontier Gear
            Warrior
            • Nov 2017

The next step is to install the little set screw. This is something that DIPinc came up with and is a great idea. The pivot pin stays put in the factory plastic due to friction, but the aluminum housing is slick and the pin may work it's way out. This eliminates that possibility. It is really small though. Don't loose it.

A little low strength Loctite (purple) is a good idea.

Install the set screw snugly and wipe off any extra Loctite.

Done for today. I will trim the mag release lever later. Also notice that right now there is no real gap between the bottom of the action and the top of the mag well. This is not how it will be when we are done. Don't take your pillar measurements when it is like this.
            Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• greaseywater
              Unwashed
              • Jun 2018

As I have been lurking around the forum, I've come to appreciate the Howa mini action in a Boyd's stock. Lots of positive experiences, they shoot great, they look great. So I'm probably going to get one when I convince the household that we need an addition to the gun safe.

Thanks for posting all the photos and build details. I'll be following.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                Chieftain
                • Oct 2016

FG, I will be watching your bedding endeavor with great interest. I need to do my son's. Unfortunately, I will not have time before we need to take it shooting, so for now it will have to be putty bedded. Not the best option, but it's what I can get done in the time I have.
                Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2017

The stock actually shipped out today. That is a pretty good turn around time. So far I'm impressed. Hopefully the stock will be as good as their manufacturing and shipping time.

I cut down the mag release lever today when I got a few minutes. You can do this with just about anything, even a little Dremel tool or a file. I chose to use the belt grinder and then bevel the edges with a deburring wheel. I chose to use these because I have them and it literally takes about 20 seconds to grind it down.

All done. The DIPinc bottom metal pre-loads the spring and really helps keep the mag from accidentally getting released and falling out.
                  Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Sticks
                    Chieftain
                    • Dec 2016

You are going to need a gap I think between the bottom metal and action, unless you already did some test feeding.
                    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                      You are going to need a gap I think between the bottom metal and action, unless you already did some test feeding.
                      Yep, that is why I said not to take a measurement yet, but to wait. I will probably start with measuring the inletting of the Boyds stock and go from there. If the stock is too far off, then I will make some temporary wooden "pillars" for testing the feeding. Once I know the measurements, I will make the permanent pillars from steel or aluminum.
                      Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2014

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                          Warrior
                          • Nov 2017

Sure, when it gets here I will put it all together and see how smoothly it feeds "as-is".
                          Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• bj139
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Frontier Gear View Post

All done. The DIPinc bottom metal pre-loads the spring and really helps keep the mag from accidentally getting released and falling out.
                            A small piece of masking tape stuck to the side of the mag will make it tighter in the magwell and prevent it from falling out while you are roaming the woods.
                            Of course, tactical reloads are then impossible.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2017

To be honest, I haven't had one accidental drop since I cut the lever down and installed the DIPinc bottom metal. Besides meals and church, the last two days have pretty much been spent out in the woods with a 6.5 Grendel Howa in it's factory stock. Some of the stuff we are hiking through is pretty thick and the rifle is looking a little worse for the ware, but not once did the mag come out when it wasn't supposed to. Before the modifications, you would simply be slinging the rifle onto your shoulder and bump it just right, then the mag would hit the dirt.
                              Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

Working...
                              X