• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frontier Gear
    Warrior
    • Nov 2017

Howa 20" Lightweight Discontinued?

Indications show that the 20" lightweight configuration is not going to be available any more. I was getting them as barrel actions from Brownells and as complete rifles from Davidson's (Gallery of Guns), and from Buds Guns. Gallery of Guns only lists the heavy barrel, Brownells says that the 20" lightweight version is discontinued, and Buds Guns only has a few left.

I did a lot of research before landing on the Howa 20" lightweight as a hunting rifle. Wouldn't you know it, that is one that they then choose to cut

It would really be a shame. The 20" lightweight is great for hunting. You don't really worry about your barrel heating up when hunting. You are more concerned about weight. For having a 20" barrel, they are surprisingly small and light. It is considerably lighter than my 18" Grendel AR. The AR is 9 pounds with scope and sling (unloaded, no mag). The Howa is 7.5 pounds unloaded with scope and sling.
    Engineer, FFL and Pastor
  • rickt300
    Warrior
    • Jan 2017

The 22 inch barreled guns are not much heavier.

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
      Warrior
      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by rickt300 View Post
      The 22 inch barreled guns are not much heavier.
      exactly 4 oz, i have both actions at home and have weighed them back to back

Comment

• Frontier Gear
        Warrior
        • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
        exactly 4 oz, i have both actions at home and have weighed them back to back
        That is good to hear. To tell the truth, I would probably cut off the extra two inches, or even more. Make it a 16" or 18" gun. It would be great for this area.
        Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
          Warrior
          • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Frontier Gear View Post
          That is good to hear. To tell the truth, I would probably cut off the extra two inches, or even more. Make it a 16" or 18" gun. It would be great for this area.
          probably a little room to flute the 22" nearer the action also? it's really tough to see the difference in diameters and tapers on the 22" to the 20", it's almost like they are the same but one was just cut shorter.

contemplating a proof research carbon barrel on one of my projects, looking into that now, mdt lss skeletonized (looking to lose 1/2 lb, machinest thinks he can do that to that chassis, will know soon as it's in his hands now), smoke composites carbon butt stock (4.0 oz), hogue polymer 15 degree grip at 1.8 oz, talley rings, and looking for a smith that knows howa actions and can do a skeletonize job/trueing etc. while doing the proof barrel and then cerakote the works when done (talking to one now)...maybe with a folding butt stock adapter even though adds 4.5 oz but with a 20" barrel the works folds up to 30.5" oal. Could be a slick little rig, under 6 lbs before scope for sure

you know you're obsessed with the 6.5 Grendel when....

Comment

• stumpjumper3d
            Bloodstained
            • Nov 2017

If this happens it seems Howa is going to turn this into a target rifle only. It seems that they would try to fix the problems instead of dropping certain models.

Comment

• Sticks
              Chieftain
              • Dec 2016

Business devote their resources to where the sales are. Some hunters may love the super lightweight hunting options, but 100 light 6.5G sales a year, VS a couple thou of the heavy for paper punchers and those who will run dual purpose (My horde average 12# with sling, brake, steel rings and near a 1.5# scope and bipod). Easy decision.
              Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                Warrior
                • Nov 2017

I understand it sticks, but I don't like it. Kind of like the bottom plastics. I know why they did it, but it still wasn't a good idea and they are too big of a company to make fast corrections/modifications.

Almost sounds to me like someone could be buying the barreled actions and cutting them down to 16" and threading the barrels. Then sell them with a DIPinc bottom metal, and cut down mag. That would be a sweet version of a "Ranch Rifle" or a "brush gun".
                Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Sticks
                  Chieftain
                  • Dec 2016

Job opportunity.
                  Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• adamjp
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2014

The lightweight barrelled actions don't make sense with the dumb design of magazine box and the heavy stocks.

Put it in a Basner stock for a mini-mauser with a flush magazine box (moulded plastic OK) and a Leupold 2-7x32 Compact and you will have a 5lb rifle with a useful range.

Comment

• Hoytec
                      Bloodstained
                      • Mar 2017

Originally posted by adamjp View Post
                      The lightweight barrelled actions don't make sense with the dumb design of magazine box and the heavy stocks.

Put it in a Basner stock for a mini-mauser with a flush magazine box (moulded plastic OK) and a Leupold 2-7x32 Compact and you will have a 5lb rifle with a useful range.
                      This is the package I was hoping for out of the Barrett Fieldcraft. Could be done for half the cost with a mini.

Comment

Working...
                      X