• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cwlongshot
    Warrior
    • Mar 2018

New Scope

So I have been reading and watching uTube videos... Not good as it always costs me money. Hahaha

Anyhow, I forgot about a 4.5x14 Nikon. This should be a better scope as the ranges extend shooting the Howa.

Here is where my problems start.

I remove the 2x7 Leupold and find that the rings are not parrellel. (If I torqued the rings down it could kink the scope tube) it did not seem as bad in the Leupold ?? Unsure why.
    Anyhow, So I grab a set of Leupold rings and altho the scope is not square. These bases are Picitinni not weaver so are thin/narrower and tgese Leupold rings cannot clamp to them. I see I can grind a few thousandths and get them to torque down.
    All good now I torque diwn scope and find that altho I can reset the reticule to old setting. I have no further elevation adjustment. GRRR

Seems this Nikon dosen't have the range of the VXII.

I dont remember the maker of the bases. But they are for two piece for a Remington 700. Anyone have issues with any bases?

After lunch, I decided to pull it all down and start over as I have a Howa SA one piece base and thought that might be better...

Well not so as its too long for the mini action. So I need to use the two piece bases. I found a better set of rings. I made a .030 shim for the rear base and dug up some longer screws to hold it down. This gained me two inches of adjustment. So should be enough for sure.

I finished mounting the scope and re zeroed to Leupy setting (that was sited in) I should be ready for range tomorrow.

CW
  • BCHunter
    Warrior
    • Jan 2018

Never as easy as you think it's gonna be.

Comment

• bj139
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2017

When I first looked into a scope mount for my Howa Mini action I noticed the long and short action Howas used different Rem 700 bases.
      Remington does not make a mini so the only alternative is the one piece base. I bought the Outerimpact for $42 from Amazon and it fit perfectly.

The real problem is the front and rear receiver rings on the Rem 700 and the Howas are not parallel to each other.

Comment

• Greyling
        Bloodstained
        • Feb 2018

I have a zastava mini mauser that wouldn't align rings worth poop. I eventually had to get a set of burris signiture rings and a set of the offset inserts. Once I put in the inserts to give me 30 MOA of upward adjustement I was able to get the scope on target.

It happens sometime. Glad you got yours working.

Comment

• rickt300
          Warrior
          • Jan 2017

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
          When I first looked into a scope mount for my Howa Mini action I noticed the long and short action Howas used different Rem 700 bases.
          Remington does not make a mini so the only alternative is the one piece base. I bought the Outerimpact for $42 from Amazon and it fit perfectly.

The real problem is the front and rear receiver rings on the Rem 700 and the Howas are not parallel to each other.
          I'm running Remington 2 piece bases on my Mini and so far it has worked out just fine.

Comment

• bj139
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2017

I just went by listings such as:

Showing 2 different models for long and short actions.
            I did have an old Weaver base with a straight bottom and it did not sit flush on the forward and back receiver rings so I bought the Outerimpact base.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
              Chieftain
              • May 2012

when shimming 2 piece bases you are taking your rings out of alignment ant putting torque on the scope tube which can have detrimental effects on accuracy and repeatability

if you need the extra range you could get a 20-40 moa one piece piece base

if you want the extra clearance afforded by the 2 piece bases setup you can use the burris signature rings either with the shim set up you have now or you can use offset inserts with the signatures and get about 40 moa of adjustment if needed up to 20 per ring

the signature rings are also available in the dovetail configuration if you want a more sleek hunting rifle look
              Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• cwlongshot
                Warrior
                • Mar 2018

Well she shoots exceptionally. Not gonna fix what's not broken.

I'm waitin' for my DIP trigger guard. Got a lot more work on loads. I ran what I had shot over the screens and nothing broke 2500...

CW

Comment

• cwlongshot
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2018

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                  I just went by listings such as:

Showing 2 different models for long and short actions.
                  I did have an old Weaver base with a straight bottom and it did not sit flush on the forward and back receiver rings so I bought the Outerimpact base.
                  OUCH! nearly 100$... FOR WHAT!??

My 10cent shims are JUST FINE!

CW

Comment

• bj139
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2017

Originally posted by cwlongshot View Post
                    OUCH! nearly 100$... FOR WHAT!??

My 10cent shims are JUST FINE!

CW
                    The Outerimpact one piece base is $42 on Amazon.
                    LRRPF52 recommended it in a past post.
                    I figured it was the only way to get front and back mounting points parallel to each other.
                    My first thought was Weaver 2 piece bases from Walmart but the top of the Howa does not have parallel and aligned receiver rings just like the Rem 700 does not.
                    It would have been easier if they did although not as pretty. So, efficiency was traded off for beauty. Grrrr.

Comment

• grayfox
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2017

Nightforce, whaddya think...
                      CW I'm using an outer impact 0 MOA base plus some rings, the OI base was 42 bucks on Amazon...
                      and a Nikon 4.5-14 Buckmasters, my Strelok says 500-593 yds depending on magnif setting. Probably farther than I can shoot!

O, and you might try a little JB bore cleaning compound to smooth out the inside of the barrel, it makes it a bit faster. May need a couple 0.1's more of powder but less energy gets put into the pipe's friction that way...

65HowaHB-2-031418.jpg
                      Last edited by grayfox; 05-08-2018, 01:29 PM. Reason: add a pic
                      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• xlcc
                        Warrior
                        • Feb 2016

Grayfox,I see your scope is mounted fairly high with the one piece base.Mine is similar and with the factory stock I had to make a higher cheek piece adaptor.Is your eye alignment with that stock good for you?

Comment

• 1Shot
                          Warrior
                          • Feb 2018

I was mounting a scope on my latest AR the other week and was using the Primary Arms pic one piece mount 30mm. I put my Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 on it to do some load work up and once I get my loads I will put the Primary Arms 1-8 ACCS on to hunt with. When I went to bore site the scope I ran out of windage and still was not close. Something had to be wrong. I checked the scope for level again and it was level and then I noticed that the clamping piece under the base screws was not looking right. I removed the whole thing from the action and found that the bolt that lock into the Pic slots on the back one was not sitting correctly in the mount. I had to take my brass hammer and drive the bolt out of the mount, it has a knurled bolt head that is press fitted into a hole on the side of the mount. I reinserted the bolt so that it sat correctly and tapped it back into the mount and everything went back together perfectly and scope zeroed and worked like it is supposed to. Little things can really cause you problems.

Comment

• grayfox
                            Chieftain
                            • Jan 2017

xlcc, actually I find it a bit high, my eye alignment was a tad low... so I stuck on a 1/8" closed cell pad to raise my cheek up, seems so far to be a good fit now. As I shoot it more I'll learn more -- didn't want to switch stocks for now. I have though about the mdt chassis however... and then I'd put a buttstock with cheek riser on it, but for now this seems to do the trick.
                            "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• 1Shot
                              Warrior
                              • Feb 2018

I have made cheek risers by using the elastic ammo stock things and used pieces of the closed cell sleeping bag mats they sale at WalMart cut and stacked up to the height I need. Works. I also made one like this but used a piece of split elk hide laced on at the bottom to cover the closed cell on my Sharps 45-70 rifle that has a Vernier rear sight to allow me a cheek weld when shooting at long range which has the sight raised up pretty high other wise that thing will raise up and smack you in the jaw. 500 to 520 gr bullets and a compressed case full of black powder will get your attention.

Comment

Working...
                              X