• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paulw
    Bloodstained
    • Jun 2017

Benchmark Barrels muzzle brake

I'm taking my Howa mini action up to Benchmark Barrels tomorrow to get the barrel threaded.
    I was going to put a Gamma VG6 on it (like my 20" Faxon AR), but see Benchmark has a small "Miller Brake" that might work better. It would be more or less a permanent install.
    I'm new to muzzle devices, but I like the way the VG6 keeps my AR on target during shot follow through.

I'll see what they recommend, but Any thoughts from the Horde?

Last edited by paulw; 03-18-2018, 08:06 PM.
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

I have mostly Voodoo innovations and I like them, but one VG6 gamma, and I have to say the Vg6 is better than my voodoo's and they're really good.
    Have no experience with the Miller, nor have I seen any objective data on it, from the looks of it it could reduce the recoil but doubt if it has any effects on muzzle flip per se. The ones that help with flip typically have opening(s) designed in the top of the brake.
    Flip occurs because the shot-reaction force vector is above the rifle CoG so imparts an upward thrust/torque to the barrel. rotating around the rifle center of gravity.

My howa 20" HB wears a voodoo and it does well.
    If I switch it will be to the VG series.
    I have had a couple of designs that were entirely side ports, and they reduced recoil but still had noticeable (although less than w/o the MB) muzzle flip, that's been my experience.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

ps, once you have the muzzle threaded, you can DIY the install using crush washers, timing washer(s) and/or threaded nuts and loktite, balance and level the barrel and take your time. I have installed all but 1 or 2 of mine and no problems. and they are "permanent-(enough)" until you want to change them...
      Most places, even Amazon, have the pieces/parts. Loktite from your local auto store.
      Might save you $100 or so... per barrel.

Comment

• ricsmall
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

Whatever you go with have them time the brake for you. Shouldn’t cost much more. And don’t use rocksett. Use blue loctite. Specify that they not use rocksett. It’s permanent, I’ve tried removing one and it’s still there. 150$ muzzle brake that I’ll eventually have to remove with lathe and hopefully be able to salvage threads in brake.
        Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• paulw
          Bloodstained
          • Jun 2017

Thanks for the advice guys.
          Right now I'm leaning toward having them install their brake....I have a reaction rod to install (and time) brakes on ARs, but I'd have to fudge up a barrel vice for the Howa.

Comment

• grayfox
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2017

That sounds like a plan. With the lock nuts (5/8-24) in place of the crush washer you use 2 sets of crescent wrenches, no vice needed.
            Anyway I hope you like the MB results, it should tame down the barrel jump/recoil for ya.

Comment

• paulw
              Bloodstained
              • Jun 2017

Went with the "Miller" brake from Benchmark cerakoted to match the barrel....
              Good news is it works great - easy to see hits through the scope.
              Bad news is the sub moa accuracy I was getting with Hornady American Gunner is gone - Black still shoots sub moa??? I'll check the action screws and try again.
              Attached Files

Comment

• dpete
                Warrior
                • May 2016

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
                Whatever you go with have them time the brake for you. Shouldn’t cost much more. And don’t use rocksett. Use blue loctite. Specify that they not use rocksett. It’s permanent, I’ve tried removing one and it’s still there. 150$ muzzle brake that I’ll eventually have to remove with lathe and hopefully be able to salvage threads in brake.
                Have you tried soaking the rocksetted joint in water for 24 hours? It is supposed to weaken it enough to make it removable.

Comment

Working...
                X