• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • splashy
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2017

Howa mini - break in and first shots - range report

Finally got the paperwork through to pick up the Howa Mini and took it to the range to break-in the barrel as per manufacturer's instructions. I had some spare Norma 120gr FMJs there, so just loaded them up with a randomly selected load of 27.5gr of 8208. I didn't intend to do any grouping, they were just there to break-in the barrel before doing ladder testing later. However, you gotta shoot at something, and after about the seventh round they just started grouping super sweet. I did pull a couple (the ones on the left on the bottom group) that I know were operator-error. After breaking-in was complete, I then went and rung a few gongs out to 500 yards. Very happy so far. Great little piece of kit. I want to shoot it with 123gr SSTs for hunting and/or 123gr Custom Comps for target/range/competitions. So will do some loads this week and then ladder test this coming weekend (hopefully will get some time at the range). Looking forward to tuning this little Monster and getting the final load. All indications are it is going to be a great, fun piece of kit.20171105_115653_v5.jpg
  • 6mmTCU
    Bloodstained
    • Apr 2017

I've had mine for a couple of months, sweet little rig! I think I've found my new hunting buddy ! I have not had to tinker at all to find a load that the rifle will shoot . It has shot everything I've fed it under an inch ! ENJOY !

Comment

• splashy
      Bloodstained
      • Oct 2017

Thanks. I think mine will definitely be my all-rounder for hunting. Hopefully mine is as forgiving as yours with the ammo. I'll post up results as I go....

Comment

• usmcm16a2
        Warrior
        • Aug 2015

splash,

Very nice bro, awesome! A2

Comment

• Lone Hunter
          Warrior
          • Jan 2017

Nice Groups. Out of my Howi Mini I'm using 27.6 grs of 8208 and it shoots really good. Using the Hornady 123 ELD M Bullet. In my .264 LBC using 27.3 grs of 8208 with great accuracy,using the Hornady 123 gr ELD M .. I will be hunting with the Howa Mini and AR in less than 2 weeks. Gotta chronograph the Howa but the .264 LBC is running 2511 fps. I'm really liking these weapons and they don't beat the hell out of you like my bigger rifles.

Comment

• splashy
            Bloodstained
            • Oct 2017

Originally posted by usmcm16a2 View Post
            splash,

Very nice bro, awesome! A2
            Thanks - I'm pretty happy, and really looking forward to dialing it in

Originally posted by Lone Hunter View Post
            Nice Groups. Out of my Howi Mini I'm using 27.6 grs of 8208 and it shoots really good. Using the Hornady 123 ELD M Bullet. In my .264 LBC using 27.3 grs of 8208 with great accuracy,using the Hornady 123 gr ELD M .. I will be hunting with the Howa Mini and AR in less than 2 weeks. Gotta chronograph the Howa but the .264 LBC is running 2511 fps. I'm really liking these weapons and they don't beat the hell out of you like my bigger rifles.
            Thanks for sharing that load. On the subject of bigger rifles, I just sold my 375 Ruger and my 300WSM. While they are both nice pieces of kit, I hardly shot them because they just beat me up and I have developed a really bad flinch. The 300WSM has been particularly devastating on red deer, but is a bit overkill, so will use the 7mm08 on more open areas, but the Grendel will get a run on places which are thicker and shots shorter range....

Comment

• HowaGrendel
              Bloodstained
              • Sep 2017

great article about load testing...

Comment

• Sticks
                Chieftain
                • Dec 2016

Originally posted by HowaGrendel View Post
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACyfeeBHVOA&t=1022s

Thank you for posting that. It helps my understanding of the one shot method.
                Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• splashy
                  Bloodstained
                  • Oct 2017

Originally posted by HowaGrendel View Post
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACyfeeBHVOA&t=1022s

Thanks for sharing this. I had seen it a couple of weeks ago - and now have a chrony. I intend to use this method to to eliminate my not-too-inconsiderable human error in load development. Hopefully will get to it in the next couple of weeks and post results...

Comment

Working...
                  X