• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AQBill
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2017

First Impressions - CZ 527 in 6.5 Grendel

Dear Fellow Enthusiasts,

Took my new CZ 527 to the range this morning to break-in and sight-in and was encouraged by the experience.

%RIHsI7rRdKGAPFuS59xCw_thumb_eeb.jpg

Used 9 rounds at 50-yards interspersed with bore cleaning after shots 1, 4 and 9. The ammunition was factory Federal premium gold medal using the 130 grain Berger bullet. The scope is a Weaver 6-20x40mm Grand Slam mounted in those atrocious CZ rings. I was aiming at the center of the right hand target. Shots 1&2 were low left and bore cleaned between shots; shot 3 was further right and by the numeral 3; shots 4&5 were in the 5 ring and, again, the bore was cleaned between these shots; shot number 6 was high on the 9 ring; and, finally, shots 7, 8&9 were in the 10 ring with two Xs. I made progressively smaller scope adjustments between all rounds except 1&2 and 4&5.

Will stretch it out to 100 yards this Saturday in a centerfire benchrest match. Everything is a bit stiff, of course, but I like the single-set trigger. I was going to use one of my .222 Remington rifles but have decided to go with the new rifle on the block after this encouraging range session.
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

Good report! In my experience barrels tend to get more accurate and gain velocity in those first hundred rounds or so. Things will only get better.

I'm a big fan of CZ rifles, looking foward to hearing how your competition goes

Comment

• sreyemj
      Unwashed
      • Sep 2017

Looks good, should do well at 100 and beyond.

Comment

• Bill the loader
        Bloodstained
        • Sep 2017

For those who don't know CZ hand laps all their barrles , so don't waste your time with barrel break in, Just go shoot. I've owned 6 CZ,s. All shot lights out.

Comment

• murfvol
          Bloodstained
          • Oct 2016

Thanks for the info Bill. Please update after your next outing.

Comment

• AQBill
            Unwashed
            • Sep 2017

My second CZ 527 range outing at 100-yards proved to be not so encouraging. Two good (<1-inch) 3-shot groups while sighting-in and then, during the match, things went south in a hurry as the groups opened up considerably as the barrel heated up with four consecutive 1.5 to 2.0-inch groups. I shot today's informal match with untested 100 gr. handload ammunition because I didn't have enough of the ammo that I initially tried, and that worked so well (130 gr. Berger Hornady Gold) earlier in the week. So I learned that (1) I need to let the barrel cool down between shots; (2) I really shouldn't shoot a match with untested ammunition; and, (3) at the advanced age of almost 66 years, I still have a lot to learn about shooting. Well, then, it's all to the good! I'll keep you informed about my progress.

Comment

Working...
            X