• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BjornF16
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Savage Grendel vs Texas Hill Country whitetails

Had a successful late season, antlerless only hunt with my Savage based Grendel this weekend. Continue to love this "Grendel" bolt action.

Savage build details here

Bullet hand load details here

Temps were cold for Texas: Saturday morning in blind was 11*F.

WT #1 - 185 yard slight quartering shot with impact on aft portion of rib just behind right shoulder which appeared to deflect path aft. Large exit (2x diameter) wound with bullet traveling through both lungs, through diaphragm and nicking small intestine. Doe weighed in at 102 lbs, estimated at 3.5 years of age. Ran for approx 25 yards and dropped.

WT #2 - 100 yard broadside shot with impact high behind right shoulder. Double lung shot with clean pass through. Doe weighed in at 110 lbs, estimated at 6.5 years of age. Ran for 50 yards and dropped.

WT #3 - 135 yard broadside shot with impact just behind left shoulder, direct impact on a rib. Huge chunk of rib missing with ribs either side fractured. Large exit wound (roughly 3x diameter) with secondary small exit (possible piece of bone) passing through diaphragm.
    Doe weighed in at 85 lbs, estimated 2.5 years of age. Ran for 25 yards and fell down ravine.
    Attached Files
    LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
    Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!
  • Texas
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2016

Congratulations, that should go a long ways to filling the freezer

Comment

• rickt300
      Warrior
      • Jan 2017

Sounds like the perfect rifle for most Texas deer hunting. I have a Savage Hoghunter in 308 I could easily turn into a Grendel. I ordered a HOWA Mini that will be more of a hunting piece, if I were to build the Savage it would be more of a target rifle.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Congrats man! Glad to see that rifle working out for you.

I think if you just switch over to the SST or ELD-M, you'll have more immediate expansion.

The 130gr ELD-M might be one to try out now.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
        X