• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rickt300
    Warrior
    • Jan 2017

Ordered a Mini HOWA yesterday, model 90623+

Heavy barrel, 20 inches long,green and the guy at Whittakers says the 5 round magazine just barely hangs down under the stock. I would have ordered a standard barrel model if it had the same magazine setup but the "heavy" barrel doesn't add that much weight and it will still be a fine rifle to keep in the truck. Wish my FFL would hurry up and send his info to Whittakerguns. I've been reading a lot in these forums and have to say I am anticipating the rifles arrival. I guess the first ammo I will order will be a couple of boxes of the Hornady 123 gr. AMAX or SST, depending on whats in stock and 4 boxes of the PPU 120 gr. BTHP stuff for barrel break in. Thinking about the Hornady 129 grain soft point and the 100 grain Nosler Partition when I get to reloading for my hunting. Is the AMAX suitable for shooting feral hogs? Is the PPU 120 BTHP a match bullet only or is it designed as a hunting bullet?
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

The AMAX has been a great hunting bullet with a lower expansion threshold than the SST, still retains weight well, with full expansion.

The PPU 120gr MPT is a multi-purpose bullet with a tapered jacket that provides rapid expansion up front, with good weight retention as well.

Everything you mentioned is good for shooting feral hogs.

What part of the Country are you in, and what distances are you looking at? 129gr SST is another you might want to consider, or the new 130gr ELD-M.

Prices are really good on 123gr SSTs and AMAX, so you can get a lot of bang for you money with them.

Do you have these yet?

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• rickt300
      Warrior
      • Jan 2017

I live in Texas a bit south of Fort Worth. Have plenty of opportunity to hog hunt and have taken 4 last month that weighed between 200 and 300 pounds. Not a big number but I was also trophy hunting Whitetails. Generally when I hog hunt it's at night and my shots are under 100 yards. I have used the 223 a lot but it's limitations have cost me shot opportunities and I am certain I can take other than head and neck shots with the Grendel. That said I will still generally try to make head and neck shots, it's nice to have them laying where you shot them in the dark. Don't have the books but they look very interesting for sure. When the rifle arrives and I get to shooting it I may order volume 2. The SST looks like a great bullet and I will start out shooting them in factory loads after I break in the barrel a bit with the PPU ammo.

Comment

• rickt300
        Warrior
        • Jan 2017

Well after doing some research it appears the guy at Whittakers may be full of it! May do a magazine shortening experiment, and why is the 5 round mag just as long as the ten round mag?

Comment

• biodsl
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2011

Originally posted by rickt300 View Post
          Well after doing some research it appears the guy at Whittakers may be full of it! May do a magazine shortening experiment, and why is the 5 round mag just as long as the ten round mag?
          I thought something sounded fishy when you made your original post. Sorry you got bad info. Good luck with your project.
          Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Drift
            Warrior
            • Nov 2014

I have used that 129 grain Hornady soft point and it is a great hunting bullet. Probably my all time favorite for those big hogs. My only complaint is that I seldom see hogs that big. I would probably limit my range with that bullet to about 180 yards. I can tell you that it will penetrate the plate on a big hog so you dont need to limit yourself to head shots.

Comment

• rickt300
              Warrior
              • Jan 2017

Well I saw that Midway has a blem sale on and ordered some 123 ELD-M bullets (I believe that's what they are) for my first efforts. I like head and neck shots simply because I hunt generally at night and like them laying where I shot them. However I got real tired of passing shots because I was shooting a 223 which I found has real limitations on chest hits. After intently reading Double Naught Spy's posts I think the 6.5 Grendel is perfect for my efforts. Sadly I lost the lease where I consistently got shots at big hogs due to a land sale. There is plenty of property not so far away that I can hunt though. Instead of fooling with the PPU ammo I ordered dies and a shellholder along with 4 boxes of the hopefully ELD-M 123 grain bullets. Starting ammo will be the famous 123 gr. SST factory loads.

Comment

• Dinny
                Warrior
                • Jun 2016

Originally posted by rickt300 View Post
                Rick,
                I don't think there are any 10rd magazines for the Howa 6.5 Grendel. I'm holding out for a rotary flush fit magazine. I can dream, right?

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• Mnwhiskeyman
                  Unwashed
                  • Jul 2016

I am hoping someone can give me feedback on the HB Grendel version, I am so close to getting one for 600 yard work or less for limited f class here in Minnesota

Comment

• rickt300
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2017

I read a post on 24hourcampfire where a guy shortened a 10 round magazine for a 223 HOWA Mini. How is the magazine blocked for 5 rounds? Hopefully the rifle will be here today so I can check it out.

Comment

• Dinny
                      Warrior
                      • Jun 2016

Post #17

The LGS just got in a 7.62x39 and a 6.5 Grendel mini action rifles. The owner of the shop indicated that presently there are no extra mags available. You get the one magazine that comes with it and that is all. Sounds odd to me. Curious is there are extra magazines available? If not, when and how much?

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• rickt300
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2017

I don't mind the 5 round part, in Oklahoma they have a magazine restriction in place and I hunt there some. I just don't like the way the magazine hangs down as far as it does.

Comment

• rickt300
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2017

I received the rifle today, looks good and the bore was shiny and clean as if it hadn't been test fired. It will be test fired as soon as my ammo from RedRiverreloading gets here.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                            Administrator
                            • Feb 2011

Rick, what loads are you getting from RRR?
                            :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• rickt300
                              Warrior
                              • Jan 2017

123 grain Hornady SST's. 3 boxes, going to burn a box sighting in and for barrel break in. I have immediate hunting of hogs to take care of so the SST's will be used in an effort to kill some. My next in line bullet is going to be the 123 gr. ELDM or AMAX which may just be the bullets Midway had in their blem sale recently. I am going to start with CFE first but need to find some small rifle magnum primers.

Comment

Working...
                              X