• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hunter307
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2017

Howa mini for lightweight western rifle

I'm looking for light weight hunting setups with the howa grendel. I'm interested in seeing some actual weights on hunting rifles with the light weight contour barrel. I think the with the mini action, these have potential to to a super light and suprisingly potent package with the 6.5 grendel.
  • Matt @ LSI
    Warrior
    • Nov 2015

Copy of 2017 mini actions 1 by matt hornback, on Flickr
    Copy of 2017 mini actions 2 by matt hornback, on Flickr
    Copy of 2017 mini actions 3 by matt hornback, on Flickr

Comment

• Hunter307
      Bloodstained
      • Jan 2017

It would be interesting to see one setup with a lightweight scope or to have some work done to the bolt handle to try and get a fully setup rifle at 6lbs even.

Comment

• pajasonc
        Warrior
        • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Hunter307 View Post
        It would be interesting to see one setup with a lightweight scope or to have some work done to the bolt handle to try and get a fully setup rifle at 6lbs even.
        I thought the same thing. wanted a light weight profile 5.7 lbs then a nice lightweight leupold 2x7 in lightweight talley mounts you would be in the 6.5 lbs range. Maybe a hair under. I broke down and bought the standard profile 22" barrel because the lightweight ones were non existent, but will probably chop it to 20".

Comment

• kmon
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2015

Do not have a Howa Grendel yet but do have a CZ 527 with a 22 inch fluted tube that I really like for a light weight gun. With a 3X9 Kahles and full mag it comes in at 7.2 pounds and balances so well I do not want to change a thing. I find complete rifles scope and all that are under 7lbs to be a little more of a pain to shoot accurately under field positions so was going for 7lb on that rifle, I could put one of the 2X7s that are in the safe on it and get slightly under 7 but with the balance of this one I am not changing a thing.

Comment

• jason miller
            Warrior
            • Dec 2016

I have a standard contour 22" .223 that I wanted to be a lightweight and handy little rifle. I don't remember exactly what weight I ended up at, but I managed to take off 8 ounces from the factory stock with an orbital sander and a couple hours work. These stocks are pretty fat. I think it weighed 34 ounces before I slimmed it down. The stocks Howa uses on their Alpine mtn rifle is the high tech stock that has been known for years for being one of the lightest and stiffest stocks available. I don't think you could possibly sand enough of the factory stock to match their weight, and the factory stock will never be as stiff. I wish LSI would get some of those inletted for these Mini actions.

Fwiw, the standard contour on my .223 is .565" at the muzzle. I, personally, wouldn't want to go much smaller- especially with a .264" hole through the middle instead of a .224" hole.
            Last edited by jason miller; 01-04-2017, 08:52 AM.

Comment

• Hunter307
              Bloodstained
              • Jan 2017

Originally posted by jason miller View Post
              I have a standard contour 22" .223 that I wanted to be a lightweight and handy little rifle. I don't remember exactly what weight I ended up at, but I managed to take off 8 ounces from the factory stock with an orbital sander and a couple hours work. These stocks are pretty fat. I think it weighed 34 ounces before I slimmed it down. The stocks Howa uses on their Alpine mtn rifle is the high tech stock that has been known for years for being one of the lightest and stiffest stocks available. I don't think you could possibly sand enough of the factory stock to match their weight, and the factory stock will never be as stiff. I wish LSI would get some of those inletted for these Mini actions.

Fwiw, the standard contour on my .223 is .565" at the muzzle. I, personally, wouldn't want to go much smaller- especially with a .264" hole through the middle instead of a .224" hole.
              Interesting information, I was curious if any weight could be shavedoff of the factory stock. Im thinking a leupold vx2 ultralight scope would make a nice light weight combo.

Comment

• jason miller
                Warrior
                • Dec 2016

It wasn't that difficult, if you wanna give it a try. I rounded the forearm and tapered it from the magazine well to the end, shortened and rounded the fore end tip, took off as much as I could from the bottom of the pistol grip, and cut deeper flutes on the comb with a dowel. Took some time, but I'm glad I did it. The stock looked kinda out of place to my eye with the skinny barrel. And like I said, it shaved off eight ounces- although paint and clearcoat added two ounces back on.

Comment

• Hunter307
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jan 2017

Thanks for the information, good to hear first hand knowledge.

Comment

• Drift
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2014

And you can also flute the bolt and bolt handle pretty cheaply also.

Comment

• xlcc
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2016

It wasn't that difficult, if you wanna give it a try. I rounded the forearm and tapered it from the magazine well to the end, shortened and rounded the fore end tip, took off as much as I could from the bottom of the pistol grip, and cut deeper flutes on the comb with a dowel. Took some time, but I'm glad I did it. The stock looked kinda out of place to my eye with the skinny barrel. And like I said, it shaved off eight ounces- although paint and clearcoat added two ounces back on.
                      It would be nice to see a picture of the finished job you did.

Comment

• Stevil
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2015

Funny you shoud say that Ive got a 30-06 lightweight mauser and its 0.530 at the muzzle, shoots nice clover leafs too.

Comment

• Hunter307
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Drift View Post
                          And you can also flute the bolt and bolt handle pretty cheaply also.
                          I've been looking at this, wonder how many ounces it can shave off? 6-8oz?
                          Last edited by Hunter307; 01-05-2017, 09:46 PM.

Comment

• jason miller
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2016

I'd be seriously surprised if more than an ounce could be taken off the bolt.

Comment

• Hunter307
                              Bloodstained
                              • Jan 2017

Sorry I was think bolt, bolt handle, action, and maybe barrel (probably not enough material on the lightweight profile I'm guessing).

Comment

Working...
                              X