• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pajasonc
    Warrior
    • Dec 2016

6.5 mini 22" barrel

Hey guys new to forum just purchased a 22: barraled action from brownell's. Wanted the lightweight but got tired of waiting for it. The primary purpose of the rifle will be as a lightweight hunting rig. Had two questions.

1. Was planning on having the barrel cut to 20". Whats everyone's opinion on this? should I go shorter? Or keep the 22" barrel

2. Stocks. Called Howa and they want 165 shipped for the plain black synthetic stock and 215 for the camo. To me that's crazy high for a stock like that. The Hogue's are 130 shipped from hogue in the short actions. Howa must have a huge markup on them.
    So keeping in mind the purpose of this gun, should I bite the bullet and buy a overpriced stock from Howa or go with the boyd's which is only 129+ shipping but I am worried the Boyd's will be much heavier.

Thanks in advance
  • Rebels010
    Warrior
    • Jan 2016

I would keep it at 22 and shoot it if you only going to cut it to 20. If you were going to 18 or 16 then I would say cut it, but I would save my money and live with the extra 2 inches.

I would think you could find a used stock soon enough on the forums as guys will be replacing the factory stocks. I went with a Boyd's, but don't have it set up just yet as things have been too busy with the holidays and I'm waiting on the 20 moa Warne mount to come in. It may be worth a call to Boyd's to see what their lightest stock is and what it weighs. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Comment

• pajasonc
      Warrior
      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Rebels010 View Post
      I would keep it at 22 and shoot it if you only going to cut it to 20. If you were going to 18 or 16 then I would say cut it, but I would save my money and live with the extra 2 inches.

I would think you could find a used stock soon enough on the forums as guys will be replacing the factory stocks. I went with a Boyd's, but don't have it set up just yet as things have been too busy with the holidays and I'm waiting on the 20 moa Warne mount to come in. It may be worth a call to Boyd's to see what their lightest stock is and what it weighs. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
      Yeah wondering if its worth it. FFL that is receiving it is a gunsmith said he would cut and crown for 30 to 40 bucks, so its not expensive. thanks for your response!

Comment

• pajasonc
        Warrior
        • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Rebels010 View Post

How much velocity do you think I would lose going to 18"

Comment

• Rebels010
          Warrior
          • Jan 2016

Originally posted by pajasonc View Post
          How much velocity do you think I would lose going to 18"
          For that cost then getting it cut to the length you want would be worth it. Not sure on velocity, the howa guys that have been chronoing have been slower than normal AR barrels from what I've seen reported. Someone who keeps a closer watch on the the velocity can probably stop by and take a stab at it.

Comment

• subinoob
            Bloodstained
            • Jul 2016

I want to say there was another member here that was going to sell his stock because he upgraded to the boyds stock. He posted in one of the other threads.

Sputnik is the guys name from the Brownell's has howa mini actions in stock thread
            Last edited by subinoob; 01-01-2017, 10:33 PM.

Comment

• Drift
              Warrior
              • Nov 2014

You change about 15 fps per inch added or subtracted at this length...

Comment

Working...
              X