• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nuthead
    Warrior
    • Nov 2015

howa mini-action 22" barrel - range report

I finally got my howa mini and had time to mess around with a few loads:

I started off with 2208 (varget) but i ran out of case capacity so i ended up using 8208 instead... we dont have CFE223 here in australia unfortunately.

I havent chronied the loads because my magnetospeed crapped itself after about 5 years of good service - but it seems to be right on an OBT node - should be around 2580-2620fps (I will verify when the new chrony arrives)

specs are:
    123gr Amax
    lapua brass
    2.31 OAL
    CCI small rifle primer

the bullet is barely touching the lands in the rifle so check that yours isnt jammed because the pressure seem to spike quickly in these little cases.

the trigger on the howa is also crisp but far too heavy for precision stuff on a light rifle imo - its getting sent to a local trigger guy here to get it down to 1.2lbs next week

these are the best i could do so far at 50m - they range from 0.58 to 0.85moa.... overall its not too shabby for a crappy flexible stock and a thin barrel that wanders after it gets hot Smile
    Last edited by nuthead; 12-07-2016, 02:29 AM. Reason: deleting photos that nobody could see
  • nuthead
    Warrior
    • Nov 2015

I also bought the 6.5 grendel reloading handbook - it looks like 450m/ 500yds is about the effective range for the hornady SST's for hunting... its a shame they didnt test the 123gr Amax... the bullet looks basically identical to the 123gr SST but without the cannelure but I know that in the the bigger calibres the amax is soft enough to expand down to 1400fps which should extend the effective range considerably
    Last edited by nuthead; 12-07-2016, 02:30 AM. Reason: deleting photos that nobody could see

Comment

• nuthead
      Warrior
      • Nov 2015

double post
      Last edited by nuthead; 12-03-2016, 01:41 PM. Reason: double post

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Thanks for posting nuthead but your pictures don't show up on my IPad.

Comment

• nuthead
          Warrior
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
          Thanks for posting nuthead but your pictures don't show up on my IPad.
          they show up on my phone and PC? hang on... i'll try photobucket

can you see them now?

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by nuthead View Post

I also bought the 6.5 grendel reloading handbook - it looks like 450m/ 500yds is about the effective range for the hornady SST's for hunting... its a shame they didnt test the 123gr Amax... the bullet looks basically identical to the 123gr SST but without the cannelure but I know that in the the bigger calibres the amax is soft enough to expand down to 1400fps which should extend the effective range considerably
            We did test the 123gr AMAX at fast impact velocity, and it looked basically identical to the 123gr SST. From field results, the AMAX does appear to expand at lower impact speeds, and is a preferred bullet for a lot of long-range hunters in 6.5mm, 7mm, and .30 bores, but with heavier projectiles than the 123gr.

There was a forum member here who DRTd an antelope at 752yds a few years ago with a 22" Grendel and the 123gr AMAX if I recall correctly.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Thanks nuthead, I can see your pictures now! Thanks for posting great groups nice looking rifle!

Comment

• nuthead
                Warrior
                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                We did test the 123gr AMAX at fast impact velocity, and it looked basically identical to the 123gr SST. From field results, the AMAX does appear to expand at lower impact speeds, and is a preferred bullet for a lot of long-range hunters in 6.5mm, 7mm, and .30 bores, but with heavier projectiles than the 123gr.

There was a forum member here who DRTd an antelope at 752yds a few years ago with a 22" Grendel and the 123gr AMAX if I recall correctly.
                I did see that test where the Amax was basically identical to the SST at high impact velocities in a table published in the book - were you one of the authors LRRPF52?

It seems like there really isnt any disadvantage in using the Amaxs compared to the SST's - i also reas the story about the antelope in the book - be interesting to know if a rib was hit on the way in.

either way 450m/500yds is still quite a long way for hunting with a little round

Comment

• EvoTac
                  Unwashed
                  • Mar 2016

What sort of pull weight were you seeing on the trigger at it's lowest setting? The best I can get with factory springs is 3lb 4oz

Comment

• nuthead
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2015

It came from the factory at 2.9lbs - I can't get it any lower. Having said that the HACT triggers can go as low 1.2lbs safely apparently? There's a guy here in Australia that will work on them for $60 (or you can get a timney)

Comment

• JASmith
                      Chieftain
                      • Sep 2014

I have tested the AMAX in a water bath. Water is a tiny bit "softer" than gel when looking at the initial expansion, but the lack of strength allows the bullet to expand more than in gel at higher velocities.

Minimal expansion at 1475 fps and a bit more than 1 caliber at 1575 fps. My conclusion is that the bullet is expanding nicely at 1600 fps but might still be effective at 1550 fps.
                      shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                      -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• nuthead
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2015

Thanks JASmith- much appreciated!

Comment

• Kilco
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2016

That's damn fine grouping for any rifle at that price point. I've had years of success with the AMAX bullet. Taken a few whitetail with the 105 AMAX in a 243 win, and a moose at 300 yards 6 years ago with a 168 AMAX.

I'm now using the 143 ELD-X exclusively, and if this season is any kind of indication, could be the best hunting bullet I've ever used.

Only time I've seen issues is when guys push them REALLY fast out of magnum cartridges. My brother uses a 6.5-257 Weatherby, and he had two instances with the 140 AMAX going 3350 fps not making it to the vitals, literally blowing up a few inches after impact.

Comment

• kymountainman
                            Bloodstained
                            • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
                            That's damn fine grouping for any rifle at that price point. I've had years of success with the AMAX bullet. Taken a few whitetail with the 105 AMAX in a 243 win, and a moose at 300 yards 6 years ago with a 168 AMAX.

I'm now using the 143 ELD-X exclusively, and if this season is any kind of indication, could be the best hunting bullet I've ever used.

Only time I've seen issues is when guys push them REALLY fast out of magnum cartridges. My brother uses a 6.5-257 Weatherby, and he had two instances with the 140 AMAX going 3350 fps not making it to the vitals, literally blowing up a few inches after impact.

You've peaked my curiosity now. I might pick up a couple boxes of the 143 ELD-X and see what kind of loads I can work up for my CZ 550 and Tikka T3x both in 6.5 x 55. I'm sitting here scratching my chin ... wondering if either Norma MRP or RL22 would be the best powder for the job!?! A good slow powder .... with me seating them out to 3.125"

Comment

• SDguy
                              Warrior
                              • Oct 2015

Originally posted by nuthead View Post
                              I finally got my howa mini and had time to mess around with a few loads: . . . we dont have CFE223 here in australia unfortunately.
                              Ouch Pricy yet seems to me CFE & perhaps better yet Leverevolution may be had Australia

Comment

Working...
                              X