• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hanselundgrendel
    Unwashed
    • Mar 2016

6.5 Grendel vs 300 blackout vs 30-30

If I was to obtain, (Remington 788) or build, a bolt action 30-30 and use pointed bullets, would this be a superior hunting rifle to the Grendel or Blackout?
  • SDguy
    Warrior
    • Oct 2015

Keep in mind you are asking a biased crowd

In an attempt to be objective, What will be the intended objective for the rifle build? What is expected range of tasks and goals to be encountered.

Is your goal a target shooting rifle? Is the recoil much of a consideration for you? if this is to be a hunting rifle what will be the intended game animal or animals to be encountered? And of course what may your expectations of yourself and the firearm be for ranges near and far? How long of distances do you intend to be shooting? Will wind drift be much of a consideration?

Comment

• ahillock
      Warrior
      • Jan 2016

.300 Blackout wins for subsonic. If you are going to run suppressed and subsonic, the .300 Blackout is hard to beat.

Otherwise I would go with the 6.5 Grendel. 30-30 wouldn't really be on my list to consider.

Comment

• Klem
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

6.5 Grendel for supersonic shooting. It stays stable/supersonic for further. The higher BC's of the 6.5 bullets realise flatter trajectories than the 30cals. This helps hitting the target when judging distance.

Either 30-30 or Blackout for subsonic shooting. You might find it easier to load with the lesser case capacity of the Blackout. Obviously you'll have to consider the twist rate for heavier bullets. The bolt action of the 788 will permit the quietest and potentially most accurate suppressed subsonic however the Blackout has the utility of semi-auto in an AR platform. Subsonic hunting is a niche sport - not many people do it. It requires the handicapping of your calibre. It is also akin to bow-hunting with a rifle.
        Last edited by Klem; 05-02-2016, 02:08 AM.

Comment

• JASmith
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2014

You need to decide on the largest animal you intend to hunt.

All three are good for Elk. The heavier bullets available for the 30-30 might, in theory, allow going after heavier animals, but most would opt for a larger cartridge to get a better margin.

The only advantage the Blackout offers over the 30-30 is the ability to neck up once-fired .223 brass. The long case life of the Grendel, especially whenusing abolt gun, makes this an illusory option.

With folks routinely hitting steel at 1,000 yard using standard Grendel ammunition using 16-18 inch barrels, one should question whether even a .308 Winchester offers an advantage if one is hunting Elk or smaller game.
          shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
          -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• Drift
            Warrior
            • Nov 2014

The 788 is not limited to just low pressure 30 30 rounds, it can be obtained in .308. And that can be rebarreld to 260...which in all honesty can do anything the Grendel can do ..and more. But far cheaper and sooner obtained than that gunsmithing projectt you could buy a Howa bolt action in 6.5 Grendel. Your Howa rifle would be cheaper sooner lighter, and probably just about as effective on most any non dangerous game animal on earth.

Comment

• kmon
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2015

Really like the 788 rifles and have a few including a 30-30, for an accurate out of the box hunting rifle that was priced right it IMO is one of the best ever made. Never have been owned a 300BO but if I were to get one it would be a SBR suppressed for fun with subs and short range hunting. The Grendel CZ527 has become my current favorite hunting rifle. next would either be a 788 in 7mm08 or a Cooper in 6.5-284.

Comment

• Singleshotsam
                Bloodstained
                • Jan 2016

I may be repling to something you are not asking, but I have a 35 rem. that I load spire point bullets for in a T/C single shot, it is like a different cal. Just hand loading for the 30=30 with different bullets than normal will be quite a kick, try thst first before you spend some money

Comment

• JASmith
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Singleshotsam View Post
                  I may be repling to something you are not asking, but I have a 35 rem. that I load spire point bullets for in a T/C single shot, it is like a different cal. Just hand loading for the 30=30 with different bullets than normal will be quite a kick, try thst first before you spend some money
                  Try Bullberry barrel works -- they make a very good barrel in 6.5 Grendel. Mine is a lot of fun to shoot and I usually get better than 1 moa with almost all bullets including 140 grain versions.

I have shot a fair bit of different bullets and powders, so have some that don't do as well. N the other hand, there are a fair number of sub-0.5 moa groups in my target collection.
                  shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                  -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

Working...
                  X