• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oldbarnowl
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2015

Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor

It is in an AR 10 configuration, could an AR15 based bolt action be far behind??

models-top.jpg
  • Matt @ LSI
    Warrior
    • Nov 2015

although im a bit biased, i do love firearms of all sorts and i really wasnt impress with the RPR. the heart and soul of it didnt seem worth the price tag. well see how it holds the test of time.

Comment

• Sputnik
      Warrior
      • May 2013

They seem to love it on Creedmoor forum. It has got my attention as well, as I have handled the .308 model (local gun shop for sale at $1379). The $1399 MSRP has been seen reduced to $919 locally to $950-$999 online. It doesn't matter how cheap they are if they are not in stock. Unfortunately, the secondary market on bidding sites and such, where people are asking $1500-1700 are effecting sales by horders and people trying to take advantage. I called Ruger, they said they sent out 25,000 the first launch. They were backed up for 6 months, but now are looking at about 6 weeks. I will believe that when I see it! Sportsman's Guide customer service said they had 5,000 and they were gone in 3 days. Many are replacing the barrel without even trying it out. So for about 1500 they have tackdrivers.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

It was designed by a guy at Ruger who they kept telling it would never go anywhere.

I personally don't see the attraction to it, but they can't make them fast enough.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• JASmith
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
          It was designed by a guy at Ruger who they kept telling it would never go anywhere.

I personally don't see the attraction to it, but they can't make them fast enough.
          There are three camps:
          1) Commtted gas gunners,

2) Committed bolt gunners,

3) the more flexible who like both!

A bolt gun has a classic look and feel even though modern ARs are building an attraction of 21st Century proportions...
          shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
          -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• lrgrendel
            Warrior
            • Jul 2013

It is what it is...

I own one and I love it.

I don't shoot it in the rain and mud, don't do pull ups with it and don't hit it with a hammer. It shoots reloads as accurate as I can shoot. I did get one of the first ones....

So it is not an AI or a DTA but it is not supposed to be.

Brought it to it's first NRA F class 300 meters and am pretty happy with the results. It was so windy we put our rifles back in their cases after every string because of all the sand being kicked up.

The results are one of the photos. ( maximum score was 600 )

Can't get the photos to load! I will try again tomorrow.
            Now if a Grendel bolt was available I'd get one in a heart beat especially as the barrel change is a DIY project.....

Comment

• 1911man
              Warrior
              • May 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post

This gun was designed specifically for the PRS crowd and they did a phenomenal job. The design of it is perfect for a guy who wants to get into PRS but doesn't have the ability to build his own rig or pay someone $2000k+ for one. I have seen them shoot 1/2 minute with factory hornady ammo and for what its intended for its some what lightweight. Throw in the fact that changing the barrel, stock, handguard, etc is all as easy as an AR15 it makes for a great platform for a DIY shooter who wants to compete in PRS.

Comment

• robertc1024
                Bloodstained
                • Aug 2015

Savage came out with a Stealth Series 10 in 6.5 Creedmore at the SHOT show. I heard they weren't on their website yet though:
                While at SHOT show 2016 I broke news of the new Savage Arms 10 and 110 BA Stealth rifles via our social media pages: Facebook.com/GunReviews and Instagram.com/13Cgunreviews . While the 10 and 110 series aren't new to Savage the Stealth is and it shaves down some weight as well as the price tag yet still

Comment

• 1911man
                  Warrior
                  • May 2015

Originally posted by robertc1024 View Post
                  Savage came out with a Stealth Series 10 in 6.5 Creedmore at the SHOT show. I heard they weren't on their website yet though:
                  http://13cgunreviews.com/savage-arms...10-ba-stealth/
                  I saw this on a SHOT show video. Looks pretty good, I am a huge Savage guy and my current PRS rig is a Savage 12 LRP in a MCree Chassis. However, I dont like this as much as the Ruger rifle. I think they are both similar and this Savage is definitely going to attract PRS guys, but the Ruger has a better base to start with. I love that its creating competition though, because the customer wins.

Comment

• Rainman
                    Bloodstained
                    • May 2015

I like mine in 6.5 C and at $995 it scratched an itch without spending several thousand dollars. My limited experience has also been half MOA groups with Hornady ammo and just slightly over half MOA with Winchester fodder. Not sure why some are so anxious to replace the hammer forged 5R barrel but the plastic bolt shroud needs to go. I plan to start load development with the box of Hornady 143 grain ELD-X bullets I have in a couple of weeks after I shoot the 129 grain Hornady SST and 130 grain Berger Hybrid handloads waiting for a trip to the range. If everything holds up the next project will be Cerekote.

Comment

• 1911man
                      Warrior
                      • May 2015

Originally posted by Rainman View Post
                      I like mine in 6.5 C and at $995 it scratched an itch without spending several thousand dollars. My limited experience has also been half MOA groups with Hornady ammo and just slightly over half MOA with Winchester fodder. Not sure why some are so anxious to replace the hammer forged 5R barrel but the plastic bolt shroud needs to go. I plan to start load development with the box of Hornady 143 grain ELD-X bullets I have in a couple of weeks after I shoot the 129 grain Hornady SST and 130 grain Berger Hybrid handloads waiting for a trip to the range. If everything holds up the next project will be Cerekote.
                      Exactly, at a $1000 its an unbeatable deal if you have any experience building a rifle in this class. Snipes Hide makes a replacement bolt shroud, the guy shooting next to me at the range yesterday had one. If Ruger decides to offer one in FDE I will sell one of my rifles to buy one.

Comment

• lrgrendel
                        Warrior
                        • Jul 2013

Tried downloading photos now from 2 devices. IPad and Droid phone.
                        Says photos need to be 1500 x 1500. Did something change on the website??
                        Have not posted anything for a while....

Comment

• Fredman
                          Warrior
                          • Sep 2014

I had one in Creed. I didn't like it. Felt very nose heavy, didn't fit me good. But that's my personal feeling. I didn't give it much of a chance. Bought it on a Saturday, put 30 rounds through it, sold it on Thursday. I was getting 1 1/4- 1 1/2" groups. I'm sure it would improve, decided to bail instead of setting up to reload, then possibly a new barrel.

The good news is I got all my money back. Love the concept.

Comment

• Lightning8
                            Warrior
                            • Jun 2015

Its on my list of rifles to buy. It appears to be a great deal for the money.

Comment

• oldbarnowl
                              Bloodstained
                              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by lrgrendel View Post
                              Tried downloading photos now from 2 devices. IPad and Droid phone.
                              Says photos need to be 1500 x 1500. Did something change on the website??
                              Have not posted anything for a while....
                              you mean uploading to a post ?

1. Go to the lower right corner of the "Quick Reply" section and click on the "Go Advanced" box. 2. In the next screen, below the "Your Message" section and in the "Additional Options" section click the "Manage Attachments" box. 3. In the new window that opens up click the

Comment

Working...
                              X