X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

Since discovering the 260 rem and recently 6.5cm (LOVE that round!) I've had no use for magnum calibers. Save for my model 70 264 win mag(moose gun) and the first rifle I shot a whitetail with, remington 660 Mohawk in 6.5 rem mag... wish I could find brass for that round but it appears to be non-existent. .

Comment

• PredatorDown
      Warrior
      • Jun 2014

I work at a retailer that carries Norma brass, so I've got a steady supply of high quality brass for both the 270wsm and 7saum. Got a pretty decent stockpile right now, so I'm not too worried on availability in the near future.

It's still currently set up as the 270wsm, but after talking to my smith we're going to pin the recoil lug and turn it into a switch barrel rifle. I'll keep the Vortex Viper set up and zeroed for the 270wsm, and hopefully soon I'll be getting a March that will top it with the 7saum. Both will be mounted in their own Spuhr mount, so return to zero after switching barrels/scopes should be fairly consistent.

Once the 270wsm barrel burns out, I'm not sure if I'll rebarrel it to a 1:8" .277 since I'll already have the components, or maybe build a 6.5saum for laser like shooting. I've got plenty of time to think that one over though

Comment

• Kilco
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2016

Very cool idea! I didn't know you could do that with the r700 action.. you running the 4-16 on this one or a 6-24?

Comment

• TomSawyerNW
          Warrior
          • Nov 2015

With your Grendel at 960 yards, I assume that was a 24" heavy barrel? Which brand?

I'm curious if anyone has experience with a heavy barrel longer than 24" with Grendel and long range shooting...
          If the Democrats had been in power when this country was founded, we'd be the British.

Comment

• PredatorDown
            Warrior
            • Jun 2014

Yeah turning an R700 into a switch barrel isn't too common, but it's also not unheard of. I'm hoping that once it's all said and done, I should be able to swap barrels/scopes in the field in under 20 minutes with no special tools other than maybe an action wrench.

As far as my Grendel goes, it's a 22" JP Enterprises medium contour.

Comment

Working...
            X