• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1911man
    Warrior
    • May 2015

Savage conversion... Please share your experience

So I have recently caught the bug to build a bolt action Grendel based on how much I have enjoyed shooting my semi auto. In reality I actually cannot justify the project at all as it does not cover a need that I dont already have covered or provide an advantage over any of my other rifles. I just plain think it would be cool to have.

I have used the search feature to find out what I need to convert my short action savage over to the grendel. I have a hog hunter model that I have swapped a few barrels on and off of. It was originally a .308. I am going to pick up the necessary bolt face from gunshack along with their 26" ER Shaw Pre Fit barrel that has a varmint profile. I already have a Bell and Carlson stock with an Accurate Mag bottom metal kit that runs AI mags. I have tested cycling a few Grendel rounds through the mag and it seems to work fine. Can anyone see any problems with this? The mags are .308 mags.

Also, does anyone have any experience with this ER Shaw barrel? I am going with it specifically because of the low price and the fact that its in stock. I would really prefer something fluted and with a threaded muzzle but cant find one that would ship out immediately.

If anyone sees any potential problems please let me know. And if anyone has had one of these barrels please share your experience.

Thanks.
  • Doon
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2015

Hi 1911,
    I have just finished converting a savage 308 GL top bolt release to Gendel.
    I changed the bolt face to a PTG PPC bolt face, very easy.
    The problem I had living in New Zealand was getting a barrel, found a new Howa 6.5 x 55 take off barrel from my Gun Smith and had him fit it to the action.
    Had to cut the tang off and re chamber to .264 lbc-ar.
    Because my Savage was a blind mag I had trouble making the rounds feed correctly so I got another stock from Numrich, not easy getting a stock from the US now for under a $100 to get round International laws.
    I in letted a atasworkz DBM which takes AI Mags, the problem I had was with the MDTTAC 308 mag the rounds would stagger and jam once stacked, I spent a lot of time to make it work.
    In the end I used a MDTTAC 223 mag housing AND follower with the 308 spring. Works great now.The 308 mag housing was to fat compared to the 223 one.
    You will have better access to different mags than I had.
    With your DBM be careful as the new Savages are bottom bolt release, the release is in front of the trigger guard.So make sure your DBM is bottom bolt release.
    The rifle ended up at 8.5 lbs with scope. my sons zastava Grendel is 8.5 lbs with scope ,suppressor and Harris bipod.
    The reason I went with a savage for the Grendel is I am a lefty, 7.62x39 left handed rifles are like rocking horse shit here.
    Will post a few pics when I get a chance.

Comment

• 1911man
      Warrior
      • May 2015

Thanks for the input Doon. My savage is a top bolt release so that shouldn't be a problem. Thank you for the suggestion on the Magazine. I may end up trying what you did by purchasing a mag for a .223 and using the 308 spring. As mentioned I already have a Bell&Carlson stock with the AI bottom metal installed for this action so all I would need is the magazine. I am really on the fence about the barrel and am hoping to find someone who has experience shooting with it.

Comment

• Doon
        Bloodstained
        • Jan 2015

I had to dremel the lips of the 223 mag to make it work as the rounds were too tight .
        If it was possible I would of used one of these 223 mags, they have a insert in them which could be modified or removed if necessary.
        MAGAZINES LAW ENFORCEMENT - MILITARY - ENTHUSIASTS Accurate-Mag Products' Precision center fire rifle cartridge magazines are based on current service configurations, meeting all Mil-Spec and NATO STANAG requirements. Our magazines fit all M24 & M40-type service rifles, as well as MK13 and NATO

Comment

• FW Conch
          Warrior
          • Nov 2014

I have the same barrel from Gun Shack that you mention. It has a well cut, snug chamber. I have not had much opportunity to shoot it yet, but here are the results so far. I loaded 20 rounds. 1st round @ 25yds to adjust scope. 2nd round @ 100yds to adjust scope. Rounds 14 thru 18 grouped into .640". Those loads were, 120grnNBT, 28.5grns IMR8208XBR, Hornady brass, CCI primer, 2.300" COAL, .032" Off The Lands. Nice long throat. Also shot some 123grnAmax, which grouped about an inch. All except the first shot were from a bipod off the hood of my truck. Considering the performance of the first 20 rounds, I am quite happy with this barrel.

Barrel is on a Stevens200 action, with a Stocky's Thumbhole Varmint stock.

I also have a 260Rem ER Shaw barrel that I ordered from the factory in '08 that I am also very pleased with. Hope this helps with your decision.

Good Luck-Good Shooting...Jim :-)

Comment

• 1911man
            Warrior
            • May 2015

Originally posted by FW Conch View Post
            I have the same barrel from Gun Shack that you mention. It has a well cut, snug chamber. I have not had much opportunity to shoot it yet, but here are the results so far. I loaded 20 rounds. 1st round @ 25yds to adjust scope. 2nd round @ 100yds to adjust scope. Rounds 14 thru 18 grouped into .640". Those loads were, 120grnNBT, 28.5grns IMR8208XBR, Hornady brass, CCI primer, 2.300" COAL, .032" Off The Lands. Nice long throat. Also shot some 123grnAmax, which grouped about an inch. All except the first shot were from a bipod off the hood of my truck. Considering the performance of the first 20 rounds, I am quite happy with this barrel.

Barrel is on a Stevens200 action, with a Stocky's Thumbhole Varmint stock.

I also have a 260Rem ER Shaw barrel that I ordered from the factory in '08 that I am also very pleased with. Hope this helps with your decision.

Good Luck-Good Shooting...Jim :-)
            Thanks for that info, it is super helpful to hear from someone who has used the exact product.

Comment

• earl39
              Unwashed
              • Sep 2014

I just called Savage and got a magazine for 7.62x39. Worked like a champ.

Comment

Working...
              X