• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mesa1978
    Warrior
    • May 2015

Thank you Bill Alexander, et al

Bill, I don't know if you look in here much anymore, but I just wanted to express this.

Just a word of thanks for developing the best non-.22 AR15 based cartridge! (IMHO)

I've been involved with the shooting sports for over 50 years, an early memory is shooting a single shot bolt action .22 at the range when I was 6. Since then I have had quite a few experiences including competitive pistol, trap/skeet and rifle including '03, Garand, M14 and AR platforms. As well, I have had my far share of sporting experiences including upland, waterfowl, varmints, hoofed and pawed. Some of the more interesting calibers I have been lucky to experience are: .220 Swift, 6mm, 6.5X55, 7X57, 7X61 S&H, 300 H&H, 375 H&H, 458 Win Mag and a real favorite; .45-90 in BPCR.

The reason I shared this is that over the years my enthusiasm has waned, I guess I have done most of what I wanted to in shooting. When I got involved with the Grendel my enthusiasm and interest returned to a level I hadn't experienced in decades.

I had done my fare share of AR in .223/5.56 and it's fine, but it just seemed lacking to me in capability. I have to admit I'm a wood and blued steel gun kind of guy, it's just my generation, I guess. So the .22 AR's didn't do a lot for me, mouse gun and all that stereotyping. However, a 6.5MM, AR15 compatible cartridge that could do well at longer ranges intrigued me.

I got into building AR's along the way and the combination of this cartridge with the option to assemble a long range capable AR that can also be used to take deer and pigs, and even larger animals by some, got me going. Being able to assemble a rifle with the exact components you want and to build it to a level equaling many bolt gun precision rifles in accuracy in a semi-auto was something I wanted to do. I've been through my share of precision bolt guns with $$$$ scopes and done the precision classes with them. Great training but something was missing. I am looking so forward to retaking a class with an AR based Grendel and dealing with the disbelief from the .30 Cal bolt guys, if I can outshoot my bolt gun results, with a gun that I assembled, in that class I may make a few converts.

So, thank you Bill and all the cohorts that brought the Grendel to life and for bringing it to where it's at today. Despite all the labeling, chambering, confusion and distractions, 6.5 Grendel is an awesome cartridge, one that brought me back to rifle shooting in a way I never expected and with a level of enthusiasm I had missed for years.
    Last edited by Mesa1978; 07-04-2015, 03:53 PM. Reason: spelling challenged
  • rabiddawg
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2013

Well said.

I am such a fan of 6.5 Grendel that i now have 3 complete and one upper (ships monday).

I am seriously thinking about selling out of 223. I plan to keep my 300wsm incase i ever get to go elk hunting but that is about the only thing i would keep it for. The grendel does everything i ask of it and is just more pleasurable to shoot than anything else i own.
    Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
      Administrator
      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Mesa1978 View Post
      Bill, I don't know if you look in here much anymore, but I just wanted to express this. . . . So, thank you Bill and all the cohorts that brought the Grendel to life . . . one that brought me back to rifle shooting in a way I never expected and with a level of enthusiasm I had missed for years.
      Um . . . about the Bill thing. We just figured out today that his account got, uh, nuked along with many other faithful Horde members. So I just approved his re-registration today! Hey, gotta keep an eye on that riff-raff with the funny accents, now don't we?
      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Bill Alexander
        Bloodstained
        • Jul 2015

Actually I read the forum on a regular basis and working away on new Grendel stuff. Like to see how the caliber is growing. Glad to see that it seems to be doing very well.

Comment

• am4966
          Chieftain
          • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Bill Alexander View Post
          Actually I read the forum on a regular basis and working away on new Grendel stuff. Like to see how the caliber is growing. Glad to see that it seems to be doing very well.
          Very excited to hear that your working on new Grendel options/stuff.
          12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
          Surge - Rugged Suppressor
          Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

Working...
          X