Clear All
  • deadeyerick
    Bloodstained
    • Apr 2013

Radical firearms Grendel $550

• Keep The Change
    Warrior
    • Mar 2013

Wow, that is cheap. You can't get a S&W AR for that cheap. I don't know anything about Radical but not knowing anything about them and being that cheap I might be a little nervous.

Of course with somebody like S&W I would be a little nervous as well after a friend had one that was tumbling bullets at 100 yds +. There was hardly any rifling in it.

Comment

• danm
      Warrior
      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Keep The Change View Post
      Wow, that is cheap. You can't get a S&W AR for that cheap. I don't know anything about Radical but not knowing anything about them and being that cheap I might be a little nervous.

Of course with somebody like S&W I would be a little nervous as well after a friend had one that was tumbling bullets at 100 yds +. There was hardly any rifling in it.
      I have a Radical 5.56 10.5" pistol I got new for 525.00 and has been 100% good to go, I bet their Grendel would be the same.

Comment

• deadeyerick
        Bloodstained
        • Apr 2013

I would like to pick one up, but I am a little nervous since it is so cheap. I wonder what kind of accuracy you caan get out of it?

Comment

• danm
          Warrior
          • Aug 2014

Originally posted by deadeyerick View Post
          I would like to pick one up, but I am a little nervous since it is so cheap. I wonder what kind of accuracy you caan get out of it?
          I don't know about their barrels but they make their own uppers/lowers and other stuff so that's where a lot of the low price comes from.

Comment

• am4966
            Chieftain
            • Jul 2014

They"Radical Firearms" say it's a saami chamber too
            12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
            Surge - Rugged Suppressor
            Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

I'm checking some things, I have an in at Radical, and I'll post once he scoops me some information.

Comment

• customcutter
                Warrior
                • Dec 2014

I will be waiting to hear about it as well.

Comment

• pinetreebbs
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2013

FWIW, I bought a Radical Firearms 7.62x39 upper, the build quality was good and it very accurate at 100 yards. Even after 600+ rounds of mostly Tula steel case ammo it still functioned flawlessly. Magazine choice is critical, but that is another story.

Comment

• cbe1962
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2012

I emailed them regarding the barrel - they start with a Shaw blank, but they are not able to tell us who chambers them.

Comment

• customcutter
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2014

Originally posted by cbe1962 View Post
                      I emailed them regarding the barrel - they start with a Shaw blank, but they are not able to tell us who chambers them.
                      I did a "grendel" search on their website, and it came up with the 16" barrel at the bottom of several uppers and complete rifles. The page for the 16" barrel claimed they make their own barrels. Maybe if you start with a blank and chamber it then you mfg. it?

Just wondering if 1:9 twist is enough in a 16" barrel for 123SST or 100TTSX? Just spent too much at the gun show last week or I would be on this like a duck on a june bug....

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

My 16" AA Shaw pipe has 1/7.5" twist, and shoots predictably for POI at 1200yds and beyond with factory 123gr A-MAX at my altitudes.

Bill A. said something about using the tighter twist with the 18" barrels and shorter IIRC, while 1/9 works fine for 20"+.
                        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• customcutter
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2014

I called Radical Firearms and then sent them an e-mail. I got a reply from Tim, he said that their reamer is made by PT&G, their barrels come with a type II bolt .136", and the bolts are made of 9310.

When I called I don't remember if I spoke with Tim or someone else. He said he would check with their barrel mfg about who made their reamer. I was telling him about the confusion over some of the different chambers and the Grendel II markings on some barrels. He quickly said theirs was a type II, but I'm pretty sure he was refering to the bolt type. I asked if they had any feed back about accuracy. He mentioned that 1 guy in the shop was shooting a 16" with MOA accuracy, another was shooting their 20" sub MOA, and he had a 24" that was sub MOA.

I don't remember who made the Liberty reamers. Maybe a call to PT&G to verify specs on the chamber reamer???

Comment

• customcutter
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                            My 16" AA Shaw pipe has 1/7.5" twist, and shoots predictably for POI at 1200yds and beyond with factory 123gr A-MAX at my altitudes.

Bill A. said something about using the tighter twist with the 18" barrels and shorter IIRC, while 1/9 works fine for 20"+.
                            Thanks, that's what I was thinking but couldn't remember.

Comment

• bwaites
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by customcutter View Post
                              I called Radical Firearms and then sent them an e-mail. I got a reply from Tim, he said that their reamer is made by PT&G, their barrels come with a type II bolt .136", and the bolts are made of 9310.

When I called I don't remember if I spoke with Tim or someone else. He said he would check with their barrel mfg about who made their reamer. I was telling him about the confusion over some of the different chambers and the Grendel II markings on some barrels. He quickly said theirs was a type II, but I'm pretty sure he was refering to the bolt type. I asked if they had any feed back about accuracy. He mentioned that 1 guy in the shop was shooting a 16" with MOA accuracy, another was shooting their 20" sub MOA, and he had a 24" that was sub MOA.

I don't remember who made the Liberty reamers. Maybe a call to PT&G to verify specs on the chamber reamer???
                              I can almost guarantee that if they are using a PT&G reamer that it isn't SAAMI specc'd.

Comment

Working...
                              X