• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Christopher67
    Warrior
    • May 2015

Type l and Type ll bolt?

Could someone point me in the correct direction, Im looking at a barrel here http://riflebarrels.com/shop/65-gren...grendel-ar740/ along with this bolt http://riflebarrels.com/shop/accesso...-grendel-bolt/ is .136″ bolt face depth the true/correct SAAMI spec Grendel? Also why is there a type l spec? Can someone enlighten me with the truth/links, getting a little confused & have been reading a ton lol.
  • am4966
    Chieftain
    • Jul 2014

.136 is the true saami spec'd bolt
    Last edited by am4966; 05-26-2015, 09:16 PM.
    12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
    Surge - Rugged Suppressor
    Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• Christopher67
      Warrior
      • May 2015

Originally posted by am4966 View Post
      .136 is the true saami spec'd bolt

Thanks for the reply.
      Last edited by Christopher67; 05-26-2015, 09:49 PM.

Comment

• lead chucker
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

The barrel bolt combo will work. Type 2 uses a .136" bolt face recess while type 1 uses a .125" bolt face recess.

Comment

• Christopher67
          Warrior
          • May 2015

Originally posted by lead chucker View Post
          The barrel bolt combo will work. Type 2 uses a .136" bolt face recess while type 1 uses a .125" bolt face recess.

Thanks lead chucker.

Comment

• lead chucker
            Warrior
            • Sep 2014

Your welcome. I'm using a bolt from underground tactical in mine now with a barrel from BHW type 2 chamber .136" bolt recess. No problems, seems to be a solid bolt.

Comment

• Christopher67
              Warrior
              • May 2015

Your welcome. I'm using a bolt from underground tactical in mine now with a barrel from BHW type 2 chamber .136" bolt recess. No problems, seems to be a solid bolt.
              Did you send the bolt to BHW to head space it to your barrel or did you do that yourself?

Comment

• lead chucker
                Warrior
                • Sep 2014

No, I ordered the barrel from BHW and a bolt from underground tactical. The head space is the same on it as with my other barrel and my dads. Measured with hornady LNL head space gauge from shot brass from each, they all measure the same.

Comment

• Christopher67
                  Warrior
                  • May 2015

No, I ordered the barrel from BHW and a bolt from underground tactical. The head space is the same on it as with my other barrel and my dads. Measured with hornady LNL head space gauge from shot brass from each, they all measure the same.

Aaaah ok thanks, I have a question to ask. I was reading the article below & noticed right below where it says "Its Not All Bad......" below that is a picture & the last sentence of the 1st paragraph below the picure says & I quote "And to shortcut the 6.5 Grendel crowd, NO, glad you like it, but it’s not the same." I sense hate in that sentence or am i wrong? Ok back on topic lol.

Comment

• montana
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2011

The .125 or type 1 bolt spacing is the same as the 7.62X39 bolt used in many AR 7.62X39 platforms. The .136 or type 2 bolt spacing is the bolt created by Alexander Arms.

Comment

• lead chucker
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2014

To me its not a debate or argument, they are not the same or the grendel would be named 308 Winchester. It is the 6.5 grendel and is a great cartridge by its self. I own two now and love them both. Two year ago I killed a deer at 370 yards with mine, my dad is a die hard bolt gun old timer. After I killed that deer at that distance he had to build one and now shoots it quiet a bit. That says something to me! I couldn't be happier with mine for what they are, the same as my kids.

Comment

• Christopher67
                        Warrior
                        • May 2015

To me its not a debate or argument, they are not the same or the grendel would be named 308 Winchester. It is the 6.5 grendel and is a great cartridge by its self. I own two now and love them both. Two year ago I killed a deer at 370 yards with mine, my dad is a die hard bolt gun old timer. After I killed that deer at that distance he had to build one and now shoots it quiet a bit. That says something to me! I couldn't be happier with mine for what they are, the same as my kids.
                        Awesome lead chucker, thanks for sharing. Honestly if IM going to finish my .308 build and decide to keep the receivers i have or sell them, I would just go with .308 & not 6.5 Creedmoor. I like the 6.5 Grendel due to the fact that its a lighter system & my 10yr old can learn on it.

Thanks everyone for answering my question on Type I & Type II bolt differences.

Whats the rough expected life of say a Lilja barrel in 6.5 Grendel?
                        Last edited by Christopher67; 05-27-2015, 02:15 AM.

Comment

• lead chucker
                          Warrior
                          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Christopher67 View Post
                          Awesome lead chucker, thanks for sharing. Honestly if IM going to finish my .308 build and decide to keep the receivers i have or sell them, I would just go with .308 & not 6.5 Creedmoor. I like the 6.5 Grendel due to the fact that its a lighter system & my 10yr old can learn on it.

Thanks everyone for answering my question on Type I & Type II bolt differences.

Whats the rough expected life of say a Lilja barrel in 6.5 Grendel?
                          If I was to build a AR 10 it would be in a creedmore or a 260, but I love the light grendel with very little recoil. I dont have a lilja barrel but speaking in generally I doubt you'll shoot the barrel out unless you shoot the hell out of it.

Comment

• Christopher67
                            Warrior
                            • May 2015

If I was to build a AR 10 it would be in a creedmore or a 260, but I love the light grendel with very little recoil. I dont have a lilja barrel but speaking in generally I doubt you'll shoot the barrel out unless you shoot the hell out of it.

Why in 6.5 Creedmoor, less recoil?

Comment

• terrywick4
                              Warrior
                              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Christopher67 View Post
                              Why in 6.5 Creedmoor, less recoil?
                              Potato . . .Patato , The 260 and the 6.5 creedmoor are pretty much the same and If I were to do it all over I would go with the 6.5 creedmoor instead of the Grendel for the fact that you can get a bolt action gun to match pretty easily.

Comment

Working...
                              X