• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1911man
    Warrior
    • May 2015

Extremely Please with my Black Hole Weaponry Upper

Hello all, I have been lurking around the forum for a while gathering info as I caught the Grendel bug earlier this year. I have a Savage in 6.5 Creedmoor that fires factory Hornady Amax ammo to the tun of 1/2 MOA and better and it gave me the idea that I wanted to have a semi auto platform that could deliver similar results.

My first attempt was an AR stoner barrel from Midway. It shot around 1MOA with the occasional sub group with factory 123 Amax ammo. This was okay, but I wanted more. The premise of me buiding this rifle was that I did not want to have to hadload. I handload for all of my rifles but some times I dont have the time and I run out of supplies like powder which is a little harder to come by now.

So I tried a black hole weaponry barrel and boy am I happy with the results. I did the break in procedure listed on their website and then I made a second trip to the range for groups. My first groups with the 123 Amax were around 3/4 to 1 MOA and then I pulled out a box of 123 grain SSTs. The SSTs shot phenomenal. I shot 6 shots into a .670" group with my first group. Then my second group was 5 shots .310" !!!! Yes you are reading that correctly. That is the best 5 shot group I have ever shot and I have quite a few small groups with various precision rifles that I own. I proceed to finish out the 20 round box with a .710" 5 shot group and I took the last 4 shots and shot 4 separate bulls eyes on 4 circle targets. I am starting to wonder if I got a magical box of SSTs, so I ordered 5 more boxes.

The barrel is an 18" 264 LBC with a 1x9 twist that I bought from Surplus Ammo. Is anyone else getting these kind of results with these barrels? The attached pictures are my two best groups.
    Attached Files
  • tackdriver
    Warrior
    • Feb 2013

I picked up one of those barrels when they were on sale w/free stripped upper last year and can say I had very similar results. There barrels shoot very good for the money. I have had only good experiences with the BHW barrels (3) so I decided to pick up one of the PF barrels made on a BHW blank and expect more of the same
    Good product!

Comment

• lead chucker
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

Very promising indeed! My BHW 12" barrel should be here today. I hope it can reach that accuracy! Great shooting and thanks for sharing.
      Last edited by lead chucker; 05-12-2015, 03:30 PM.

Comment

• 1911man
        Warrior
        • May 2015

Tackdriver, mine came with the free upper receiver as well and that is what I have it mounted to. The BCG I am using is actually out of a 7.62x39 upper I have. I just pulled that BCG out and stuck it in this upper and it functioned flawlessly. I cant wait until my ammo comes in so I can do it again. I have two bolt guns that shoot 1/2 MOA conistantly, and I dont just mean cherry picking groups. Every time I pull the trigger on them I know it is going to land 1/2 MOA or closer to what I am shooting at. I would have never imagined I could build a semi auto that shot this well, and the total cost of the upper is just under $600.

Hopefully I will be confirming the same results later this week with another box of ammo.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
          Administrator
          • Feb 2011

Very cool!
          :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Kikn
            Warrior
            • Nov 2011

Very nice. Any idea what lot # that magic box was

Comment

• terrywick4
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

Does this come with a bolt? the send an upper but makes no mention of a bolt.

Originally posted by 1911man View Post
              Hello all, I have been lurking around the forum for a while gathering info as I caught the Grendel bug earlier this year. I have a Savage in 6.5 Creedmoor that fires factory Hornady Amax ammo to the tun of 1/2 MOA and better and it gave me the idea that I wanted to have a semi auto platform that could deliver similar results.

My first attempt was an AR stoner barrel from Midway. It shot around 1MOA with the occasional sub group with factory 123 Amax ammo. This was okay, but I wanted more. The premise of me buiding this rifle was that I did not want to have to hadload. I handload for all of my rifles but some times I dont have the time and I run out of supplies like powder which is a little harder to come by now.

So I tried a black hole weaponry barrel and boy am I happy with the results. I did the break in procedure listed on their website and then I made a second trip to the range for groups. My first groups with the 123 Amax were around 3/4 to 1 MOA and then I pulled out a box of 123 grain SSTs. The SSTs shot phenomenal. I shot 6 shots into a .670" group with my first group. Then my second group was 5 shots .310" !!!! Yes you are reading that correctly. That is the best 5 shot group I have ever shot and I have quite a few small groups with various precision rifles that I own. I proceed to finish out the 20 round box with a .710" 5 shot group and I took the last 4 shots and shot 4 separate bulls eyes on 4 circle targets. I am starting to wonder if I got a magical box of SSTs, so I ordered 5 more boxes.

The barrel is an 18" 264 LBC with a 1x9 twist that I bought from Surplus Ammo. Is anyone else getting these kind of results with these barrels? The attached pictures are my two best groups.

Comment

• danm
                Warrior
                • Aug 2014

Nope, no bolt they're standard 7.62x39 bolts, I'm using an NiB from hamlund tactical... And I've got the same barrel/upper which shoots .375-.5" all day long...

Comment

• 1911man
                  Warrior
                  • May 2015

Yeah, Like DanM says no Bolt with it. Good looking rig BTW DanM. I pulled the NIB BCG out of my SOTA arms 7.62x39 upper and it shoots great. Good to know others are getting the same results. Makes me feel like I am going to be able to repeat and that it was just a fluke. The lot # for the box of SSTs I used was 8152.

Comment

• 1911man
                    Warrior
                    • May 2015

Originally posted by danm View Post
                    Nope, no bolt they're standard 7.62x39 bolts, I'm using an NiB from hamlund tactical... And I've got the same barrel/upper which shoots .375-.5" all day long...
                    Dan are you getting good groups with the factory Amax ammo as well? It did not group near as well as the SSTs did for me.

Comment

• danm
                      Warrior
                      • Aug 2014

Yeah, Amax and SST group nearly identical out of my rifle... How many rounds through your barrel?

Comment

• tackdriver
                        Warrior
                        • Feb 2013

I had a 7.62*39 bolt that was a spare from another .264 lbc I got from a member and it worked great

Comment

• 1911man
                          Warrior
                          • May 2015

Originally posted by danm View Post
                          Yeah, Amax and SST group nearly identical out of my rifle... How many rounds through your barrel?
                          I have exactly 60 rounds through it at this point.

Comment

• DrifterAT
                            Bloodstained
                            • Mar 2015

Great shooting! Mine arrives this week and I hope to see similar results.

Comment

• 1911man
                              Warrior
                              • May 2015

Originally posted by DrifterAT View Post
                              Great shooting! Mine arrives this week and I hope to see similar results.
                              Thanks, did you go with an 18" as well? Be sure to post up your results. I am tempted to buy another just to have a spare for when I inevitably shoot this one out.

Comment

Working...
                              X