• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • medicsniper
    Unwashed
    • Mar 2015

American Spirit Arms Side charge upper?

Looking for input on American Spirit Arms side charge upper? Has anyone used one before? I'm building a precision Grendel and think with it having a large scope, side charging might be nice. However every piece of this build is with precision in mind so I don't want to use a crap upper when everything else has been top of the line. I like the concept but haven't been able to find any reviews on it? What do y'all think? Is it worth using the ASA upper or should I just get a well known manufacturers upper since my main focus is precision/accuracy from several hundred meters? Thanks for any and all input.
  • Ott
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2013

I don't know about the ASA upper, but I'm very happy with my Mega Arms side charging upper from Rainier Arms.

Comment

• CastorTroy
      Warrior
      • Mar 2015

i've not used one personally, but i have read good things about them

Comment

• medicsniper
        Unwashed
        • Mar 2015

I looked at the mega arms with the slot but I think if i do go with a side charger it will be non reciprocating. I do like mega a lot though.

Troy, no reliability issues or accuracy issues? I plan to use this rifle on backpack hunts so it will see its share of elements on outings I'm sure. Just cant seem to find anyone with first hand experience with these uppers?

Comment

• CastorTroy
          Warrior
          • Mar 2015

the couple things i have read about them said they were solid and well machined. there are a couple of people who have put reviews up on youtube, and they all seem to like it as well

Comment

• medicsniper
            Unwashed
            • Mar 2015

Ill have to look back to try and find those either way I would tend to weight a member on here opinion more than some youtuber for the most part. I appreciate you letting me know what you have heard about them!! Just not keen on paying that much for an item without looking it over!

Comment

• 65Whelen
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

Been looking at uppers lately and bought a forged Rainer, nice upper and fast shipping. Only advise I can offer is make sure it's 7075-T6 alum and not the 6061. I came across some billets that were relatively cheap and yup 6061 alum. If your going to invest in a billet might as well get a good one.

Some advise I got from the Horde, it helped me:
              Putting together an Upper, primarily for bench fun. With accuracy in mind what receiver should I get. I'm down to the following choices: https://www.primaryarms.com/Upper_Receiver_M4_SlickSide_NO_Forward_Assist_M_p/sft55m4.htm https://www.primaryarms.com/Vltor_MUR_Upper_Receiver_with_Bolt_Assist_and_p/mur-1s.htm Or, is

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
                Warrior
                • Apr 2013

medicsniper,

From my own experience, I took this American Spirit Arms .308 to .300 WSM, and back ---

(NOTE: DPMS 18" .308 Barrel shown in pic, above.)

The side-charging handle is non-reciprocating. It's a solid design. I'd recommend it.

Then, there's the Faxon Firearms ARAK-21 (left- and right-side ejection ports) 6.5mm Grendel option (http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...axon-Firearms/).

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
                  Warrior
                  • Apr 2011

We use and stock ASA uppers. They are well machined and well designed. We can recommend them.
                  "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

• medicsniper
                    Unwashed
                    • Mar 2015

Well it looks like I will be using it on this build then! 65whelen it is 7075, thanks for the tip on that. Short and Sassy that's a great looking rifle. Thanks for the input precision firearms! I didn't realize ya'll carried that upper?
                    Not sure I have the money up front to let y'all build it. (broke college graduate problems). Any chance I could PM you for a quote as well as get an idea how long it would take for you to build it? If it was feasible I would love it to be built by y'all!

Thanks again for all the input guys I appreciate it!
                    Last edited by medicsniper; 05-01-2015, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X