Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14.5" Barrel Info

Hey guys,

I'm looking for more information on a 14.5" barrel (firsthand accounts on performance, MV, ME, Loads, and best bullet selection). The idea is to reduce an existing 16" barrel by 1.5" and permanently attach a Muzzle Brake to bring the Barrel OAL to just over 16" to comply with regulations.

The whole idea is to create a multipurpose self/home defense and short to medium range varminter. Bullet selections would be limited to about up to 120 or 125 at the most.

Even if you have no actual experience with this barrel length, your thoughts are welcome.

Thank you.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I bought a J&T 16" barrel CAR flat top upper and it handles and weighs almost the exact same amount as my 16" 5.56 Bushmaster chrome lined barreled flat top upper. I like the balance of the 16" uppers better than the 14.5" barrels that I've handled. I figured if the barrel/flash hider had to be 16" I'd rather have the longer barrel for more muzzle velocity. I can't have an SBR because of where I live so I opted for the 16 inch barrel. I wanted my 6.5 Grendel to match the handling of my 16" duty rifle. I figure I get from 25 to 50 FPS more velocity out of the 16" barrel compared to 14.5. This is not a lot of velocity difference so I think it boils down to personal preference.

Comment

Hey what do you think I used to shoot that buck last year?

14.5" bbl with a WCI pinned on!

Comment

Thanks, I guess you are right, there is just not that much difference and I won't have to cut and re-thread the barrel to get what I want.

On a side note, do you guys remember how on the old website there were tons of advertizing on the top of the page for barrels, and other accessories? what did ever happen to all those companies? are they still producing Grendel or have they migrated to the 264LBC? I wonder...

Comment

Working...
        X