Android application Wind Meters???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Android application Wind Meters???

I wasn't sure where to post this since there is not a general discussion area, so I put it here. Admins, please move if it's an issue here.

Anyway, I have a Motorola Droid X smart phone. I downloaded the Strelok Ballistic calculator to help me with the drop and hold overs at greater distances. Anyway, the Strelok program work pretty well (for a free app) and is fairly accurate.

Now, on to the point of this thread. One of the functions of the Strelok ballistic calculator is that it will help you dope the wind (at least from where you are sitting). You have to put in the wind speed and direction. Then it will show you your hold overs. So, I decided to download this other app. It is the Wind Meter app and is basically an anemometer that uses your phones microphone as a wind meter. It gives you speed and direction. I am off to the range today to try it out.

My question is, does anybody else use any of these smart phone apps? If so, how do you like them and do they work well for you?? If you do use the apps, which ones do you use??

I use the FTE Ballistics Calculator. I find it to be quite good, but it costs around $20.

Comment

Originally posted by RStewart View Post
      I use the FTE Ballistics Calculator. I find it to be quite good, but it costs around $20.

I use the same one, it helps with calibers I do not have as much familiarity with or for longer distances.

It is a good program and worth the money.

Comment

I like the Strelok program, but it is limited. You can only preload three different bullets into the program. If you are to be shooting more than that, you have to delete one and load in the extra one. There are other features I would like to have, but those only come with the calculators you pay for.

Comment

• munchie3409

I use shooter since it's highly recommended on SH. I had Patagonia on my PDA, but once I got my Droid, I sold my PDA since I didn't need two ballistics program to haul around. The Shooter program is $10 and it's well worth the price.

I have a Kestrel in addition to Shooter, so I get good wind readings. Kestrel teamed up with Horus if you have deeper pockets...neat unit, but hard to justify the expense of $600 for that Kestrel unit.

ETA: I used the Shooter to hit targets at 1025 yards without issue.

Comment

Mutt,

What is the name of the wind speed program?

Greg

Comment

It "Wind Meter", if you are using an android phone search for it in the market (by that name).

Comment

Thanks Mutt, I found one in there by that name, it is a pay app, that the same one?

Comment

I think it cost me like 3 or 4 bucks

Comment

I just downloaded strelok. It looks pretty good. Is it G1 or G7, I can't tell or find on the app

Comment

Let us know how that works for you. I think it works fairly well on my phone. But, it would work much better if you had an actual wind meter to use to help calibrate it. I just took a guess and got mine pretty close to what the local weather station (at the school down the block) says the wind speed was that day.

Comment

Working...
                      X