How much elevation is necessary to get a 123 SST to 1000 yards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • molar
    Bloodstained
    • Jun 2014

How much elevation is necessary to get a 123 SST to 1000 yards?

Assuming a 123 gr SST with a MV of 2550 fps, how much elevation is necessary for 1000 yards?

I have 42 MOA of elevation adjustment in the scope and a 20 MOA base, so this should give me 40 MOA total elevation adjustment, correct? Will this be enough for 1000 yards?
  • Sniper338
    Warrior
    • Dec 2014

It all depends on your conditions and elevation.... some guys here are shooting to 1000 or more with 123gr bullets, other like me at close to sea level start seeing goofy bullet stuff at about 900..... where as if i climb up the mountain my bullet would go much further before it goes wacky...

Comment

• lrgrendel
      Warrior
      • Jul 2013

Jbm ballistics

Originally posted by molar View Post
      Assuming a 123 gr SST with a MV of 2550 fps, how much elevation is necessary for 1000 yards?

I have 42 MOA of elevation adjustment in the scope and a 20 MOA base, so this should give me 40 MOA total elevation adjustment, correct? Will this be enough for 1000 yards?
      Plus all your info into JBM BALLISTICS and hit enter. It will give you a solution.
      I shoot 123 AMAX at 1000 and do just OK at sea level. Of course your velocity is critical. I found my CHRONO said my amax's were going 2640 FPS when actually it was closer to 2600. For me JBM works really well and is bang on almost all of the time at the various distances.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• CPT.CRAZY
        Warrior
        • Feb 2012

Using the data at my altitude with my rifle at 2565 fps. I need 40 MOA at 1000.
        sigpic

Comment

• PredatorDown
          Warrior
          • Jun 2014

I dialed 39 to get there a few weeks ago at around 6500ft elevation and 2490fps.

Comment

• molar
            Bloodstained
            • Jun 2014

Originally posted by lrgrendel View Post
            Plus all your info into JBM BALLISTICS and hit enter. It will give you a solution.
            I shoot 123 AMAX at 1000 and do just OK at sea level. Of course your velocity is critical. I found my CHRONO said my amax's were going 2640 FPS when actually it was closer to 2600. For me JBM works really well and is bang on almost all of the time at the various distances.

Hope this helps.
            Their calculator says 29.1 MOA at my elevation. Not sure if I believe that

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

You need to know the barometric pressure most importantly for the actual conditions you are shooting in. That will be a huge variable, more so than temperature even.

I have shot the 123gr A-MAX out to 1200yds with 14.4 Mils of elevation, but I was at 4400ft above sea level, in 80 degrees temp. There has been some second-guessing on the actual BC of the 123gr SST. Once we start getting beyond 600yds, it's better if we know the G7 drag modeling for that bullet. I'm not sure if we have settled on one yet for the 123gr SST.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Joseph5
                Warrior
                • Oct 2012

If I am not mistaken I was getting to 1000 yards with 30 or 31MOA of elevation at 4500 feet above sea level and about 65 degrees temp. That was with a 123gr SST or AMAX at a little over 2600 fps.

Comment

• molar
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jun 2014

Are the specs for total elevation adjustment from the manufacturer just an estimate? My scope is listed as having 42 MOA elevation, but I counted 240 clicks at 1/4" per click, or about 60 MOA.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by molar View Post
                    Are the specs for total elevation adjustment from the manufacturer just an estimate? My scope is listed as having 42 MOA elevation, but I counted 240 clicks at 1/4" per click, or about 60 MOA.
                    Not knowing what your scope make / model is, it's difficult to say with certainty, but most scopes are close to the manufacture's listed elevation and windage ranges. I did, however, experience a scope which allowed me to dial significantly past the advertised max elevation. Was I really getting that elevation? Not at all. There was no hard stop on the scope turret to prevent over adjusting - the erector spring ran out of extension, and the reticle stopped moving shortly after the listed max. I realized then why the scope (a Millet) was so "reasonably priced".
                    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• molar
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jun 2014

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
                      Not knowing what your scope make / model is, it's difficult to say with certainty, but most scopes are close to the manufacture's listed elevation and windage ranges. I did, however, experience a scope which allowed me to dial significantly past the advertised max elevation. Was I really getting that elevation? Not at all. There was no hard stop on the scope turret to prevent over adjusting - the erector spring ran out of extension, and the reticle stopped moving shortly after the listed max. I realized then why the scope (a Millet) was so "reasonably priced".
                      For now, I moved a Weaver Super Slam 3-15x50 over to it. I'll probably end up with a Nightforce NSX

Comment

• Nukes
                        Banned
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                        ...I'm not sure if we have settled on one yet for the 123gr SST.
                        In his new book Ballistic Performance of Rifle Bullets, Litz lists the Hornady .264 caliber 123 grain SST BT G7 BCs as:
                        >3000fps 0.249
                        3000-2500fps 0.244
                        2500-2000fps 0.235
                        2000-1500fps 0.229
                        <1500fps 0.228

Just an observation, the Hornady website offers a G1 BC average of 0.510, while Litz offers a G1 BC average of 0.461.
                        Last edited by Nukes; 01-22-2015, 05:51 PM.

Comment

• rubiconbay
                          Unwashed
                          • Oct 2014

No that sounds low. I was using Hornady AMAx 123 gr with 2580 fps and dialed in 39 moa at sea level 70 deg and hit 1100 target.

Comment

Working...
                          X