6.5 Grendel II ~vs~ regular grendel.....?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GSPHunter
    Warrior
    • Jun 2014

Hi DDR, if SAAMI doesn't care about the throat, why is it shown in the chamber drawing? http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC...%20Grendel.pdf

Comment

• montana
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

The issue has always been the chamber B.A. created. He created the Grendel which has a compound throat, "period". Less bear made his rifles with a different throat and called it the 264 Less Bear. The 223 has a different throat compared to the 5.56 and 223 wylde. Shooting a 5.56 ammo in 223 chamber is not the best idea so there can be consequences for not understanding the differences in throates. This is why the confusion and discussion on this forum. The problem has been the confusion created by using the Grendel name which has caused confusion and created some animosity. There have been some former members who have taken this subject to a new limit of personal vendettas. Whether their opinions were spot on or not was lost with their condescending attitudes which doesn't help any one.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
        Administrator
        • Feb 2011

I am watching this thread and DDR's contributions.

It is my official position that if a chamber that fires factory 6.5 Grendel ammunition does NOT adhere to BOTH the case AND throat specifications of the SAAMI drawing, it is a variant — which is perfectly fine in and of itself — but it should in NO way be marketed with the word "Grendel" in it.

Satern/Liberty should market their variant throat as something like 6.5 Satern or .264 Liberty, or such, but should not confuse the market with the argument about whether a throat specification is essential to — or an optional subset of — any given SAAMI specification.

I don't personally know the technical facts on the matter, so I have an open mind. I'm willing to have a major SAAMI member tell us, on the record, that they feel free to ignore — or not — the throat dimensions of any given SAAMI drawing for any given cartridge. I'm willing to have someone show us documentation that the SAAMI "rules" themselves consider throating dimensions optional. It would seem to me to be a crucial component of whether a chambering is safe or not, so I'd be surprised if they leave it to the manufacturer's discretion. But, hey, let's see documentation instead of "my secret source whispered this to me and winked. . . ."

At any rate, I consider attempts to market a "Grendel II" as acting out of petty vindictiveness and, in bad faith, trying to make trouble. Don't try and tell me it's at all comparable to the .223 Wylde, wherein someone is trying to offer a variant as a legitimate solution to a specific issue. (Also notice he didn't name it the .223 Remington II).
        :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• DeadDownRange
          Unwashed
          • Oct 2014

Cory, I'm new here. I dont know who you think I am, but I'm not them. It just seemed weird to me that a throat change designated the cartridge a wildcat. If you go back into 10 years of 308 Winchester production barrels I'm willing to bet that between Winchester, Ruger, Remington, and Savage there are all kinds of slight throat variations.
          I really know nothing about the Grendel besides the little that is available on the internet. I do know a fair amount about barrels and chambers though.
          GSP, its on the print as a reference, not a headspace callout. There is no throat on a SAAMI go/no-go gage. SAAMI isn't concerned with reloaders and to the best of my knowledge (which I may be incorrect and i apologize if that's the case), pretty much all the factory Grendel ammo fires fine in the AA and "GII" chambers.
          Montana, the 264 LBC has a different throat dimension (LBC-.295" vs AA, GII- .300"). LB made a change to the dimensions themselves therefore changed the chamber as opposed to making it different.

Takes SAAMI spec ammo,
          Takes SAAMI go gage,
          Still not a Grendel?

I guess im just a bit confused about all the fuss over a different throat.

DDR
          Last edited by DeadDownRange; 12-15-2014, 05:29 PM.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
            Administrator
            • Feb 2011

So, DDR, are the .223 Remington and the 5.56 NATO all one cartridge in the eyes of SAAMI? No distinctions to worry about since the throat doesn't matter to SAAMI?
            :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

Comment

• PigOPs
              Bloodstained
              • Oct 2014

Originally posted by DeadDownRange View Post
              Cory, I'm new here. I dont know who you think I am, but I'm not them. It just seemed weird to me that a throat change designated the cartridge a wildcat. If you go back into 10 years of 308 Winchester production barrels I'm willing to bet that between Winchester, Ruger, Remington, and Savage there are all kinds of slight throat variations.
              I really know nothing about the Grendel besides the little that is available on the internet. I do know a fair amount about barrels and chambers though.
              GSP, its on the print as a reference, not a headspace callout. There is no throat on a SAAMI go/no-go gage. SAAMI isn't concerned with reloaders and to the best of my knowledge (which I may be incorrect and i apologize if that's the case), pretty much all the factory Grendel ammo fires fine in the AA and "GII" chambers.
              Montana, the 264 LBC has a different throat dimension (LBC-.295" vs AA, GII- .300"). LB made a change to the dimensions themselves therefore changed the chamber as opposed to making it different.

Takes SAAMI spec ammo,
              Takes SAAMI go gage,
              Still not a Grendel?

DDR
              I have to agree this does sound familiar... I too would like something official from SAAMI stating that the throat is not a part of the spec. In fact, if you or anyone else can produce written substantiated evidence that the throat is not a part of spec I bet everyone here would agree to drop this forever... I know I would. Guys???

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                Administrator
                • Feb 2011

I think it's pretty much "dropped," it's pretty much understood that any non-compound throat is a non-SAAMI variant and everybody's OK with that, until guys like DDR come in and stir it up and claim that you can still label your barrels 6.5 Grendel as long as the SAAMI go/no-go gauge fits. If I bought a 6.5 Grendel barrel and it did NOT have the SAAMI compound throat it'd be a deal-breaker unless I asked for a non-compound throat.

The compound throat is such a unique feature, that if one understands it in the context of the whole 6.5 Grendel program, it is a fundamental part of the cartridge's identity and specification. Any deviation from that is not wrong, but should be noted up front by the manufacturer. Is that too much to ask? You gonna sell .223 Wylde but call it .223 Remington?

To Satern's credit, I checked their Website today and they advertise both 6.5 Grendel and 6.5 Grendel II barrels, so I'd say they're halfway there. But I know why they use the label "Grendel II" and I think it's petty and far beneath them as good people and patriots. I did not see a FAQ on their Website explaining the distinction between 65G and 65GII and I think they owe at least that to their buyers. Is it too much to say, "This is how our chamber differs from SAAMI 6.5 Grendel and why"? If I was into .223, I'd want the Wylde chamber, so these things matter. I guess gun guys can be a little particular and persnickety. If I want a 1:8 twist, don't switch it to a 1:9 and tell me to shut up cuz I'll never know the difference. We had a well-known reamer-maker brag last year about pulling a stunt like that.

Anyway, bottom line: More guns, more ARs, in America is good. And more chamberings that fire 6.5 Grendel ammunition is even better. I just get annoyed when grown men act like children, but I guess I'm old enough to have long since stopped expecting people to be perfect.

Comment

• BjornF16
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2011

Takes SAAMI spec ammo,
                  Takes SAAMI go gage,
                  Still not a Grendel?

DDR
                  Well...I guess .260 Remington is a .308 SAAMI round...who'd have thunk it.

Wait! 25-06, 280 Rem are apparently 30-06 SAAMI as well. Wow! I would have never believed.

.243 WIN, 260 REM, 7mm-08, 338 Federal, and 358 WIN all use .308 WIN go/no go gauges. Who cares about the throat. Since they all take the same "go gauge" they are .308 WIN SAAMI.

see: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/638...ProductFinding

Brilliant!
                  Last edited by BjornF16; 12-15-2014, 10:03 PM.
                  LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                  Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• babaganoush
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2013

... I really know nothing about the Grendel besides the little that is available on the internet. I do know a fair amount about barrels and chambers though.

Takes SAAMI spec ammo,
                    Takes SAAMI go gage,
                    Still not a Grendel?

DDR
                    Forgive me if I appear to be restating what some consider the obvious:

Registration of a drawing with SAAMI is, by definition, the codification of all dimensions and annotations included on said drawing. Essentially, everything on that drawing is both specification and reference. Optional items are identified as such on many drawings that I've viewed.

A Go/NoGo gauge is simply a tool to determine only the headspace of said chamber. It cannot be the definition of the chamber in it's entirety, as it is blind to differences in neck size as well as other dimensions of the throat and chamber. This is clearly seen when using the 6.5 Grendel GNG gauges in a 264 LBC, which is an identified variant with a smaller neck.

As far as having a chat with one of members of the SAAMI committee goes, words over the phone or over a drink are really nothing more than opinion until and unless they are rendered official by a formal document. As I alluded above, if a document is registered with an organization (any organization), and in the absence of any formal declaration of exception by the organization, the entire contents of that document become official unless specifically exempted within the document itself.

ETA: Thanks, BjornF16, for providing other more drastic examples of the GNG gauge conundrum.
                    Last edited by babaganoush; 12-15-2014, 10:19 PM.
                    "A problem thoroughly understood is always fairly simple. Found your opinions on facts, not prejudices. We know too many things that are not true."

Charles F. Kettering

Comment

• DeadDownRange
                      Unwashed
                      • Oct 2014

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
                      Well...I guess .260 Remington is a .308 SAAMI round...who'd have thunk it.

Wait! 25-06, 280 Rem are apparently 30-06 SAAMI as well. Wow! I would have never believed.

.243 WIN, 260 REM, 7mm-08, 338 Federal, and 358 WIN all use .308 WIN go/no go gauges. Who cares about the throat. Since they all take the same "go gauge" they are .308 WIN SAAMI.

see: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/638...ProductFinding

Brilliant!
                      These are different calibers and have absolutely no relation to the topic at hand.

And so are you saying if i made a 6.5 Grendel reamer with a compound throat but ground the throat .015" deeper thats no long a "SAAMI Grendel" since it doesnt have the original throat?

On a side note i email SAAMI with the details of this discussion to see what they say and get the final answer on paper so this topic can be dropped once and for all and have everything set straight. I think we would all appreciate that.

DDR

Comment

• Sniper338
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2014

Originally posted by bluntforcetrauma View Post
                        i am watching this thread and ddr's contributions.

It is my official position that if a chamber that fires factory 6.5 grendel ammunition does not adhere to both the case and throat specifications of the saami drawing, it is a variant — which is perfectly fine in and of itself — but it should in no way be marketed with the word "grendel" in it.

Satern/liberty should market their variant throat as something like 6.5 satern or .264 liberty, or such, but should not confuse the market

this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

• Sniper338
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2014

Thats lrobably the best post to sum it all up.... i agree 100%. It confuses the consumer market and thats the biggest problem with it all.

Comment

• LR1955
                            Super Moderator
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by cory View Post
                            Ted or XCR??? Either way take your crap elsewhere. We've been down this road before. This was wrong then and is wrong now.
                            Cory:

When you become a moderator you can tell someone to 'take their crap elsewhere'.

Hanka says this ought to end so I am ending it.

LR55

Comment

Working...
                            X