X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

So this brings us back to the million dollar question, does carrying a rifle with 26 rounds of 6.5 Grendel have enough of a performance edge over 5.45 X 39 or 5.56 X 45 to warrant changing cartridges. If the reliability of the AK -12 and AK-74 were the same would the Russian military abandon the 5.45 X 39 for a 6.5 X 38 or a round similar to the 6.5 Grendel? I have to think the bean counters would intercede and say there is to negligible a difference to warrent the cost to change. I could see where it might have been adventagious for the Russians to go from 7.62 X 39 to 6.5 X 39 but since transitioning to the AK-74 I can't see the Russians changing to a 6.5 Grendel chambered AK-12. The AK-12 in 6.5 Grendel may garner significant sales to justify production but I doubt it will see wide scale adoption.

Unless an optimized new 6.5 caliber assault rifle cartridge that bridges the Gap between the 6.5 Grendel and the 6.5 Cr/6.5X47/260Remington is developed with a new rifle that is not required to use a STANG mag dimensions do I ever envision the West switching from the 5.56 X 45. The new rifle would have to be just a reliable as the M-16/M-4 with greater modularity to have a chance to be adopted IMHO.
    Last edited by VASCAR2; 11-15-2014, 05:22 PM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

The Russians have to prosecute their current foreign policy with the weapons they have, not the ones they want. Their rifle marksmanship approach is nothing like ours, and is geared towards conscripts with very minimal expectations in terms of traditional rifleman engagement distances.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• stanc
        Banned
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
        So this brings us back to the million dollar question, does carrying a rifle with 26 rounds of 6.5 Grendel have enough of a performance edge over 5.45 X 39 or 5.56 X 45 to warrant changing cartridges.
        I imagine it'd be possible to develop a 30-rd magazine for 6.5 Grendel rifles.

Aside from that matter, I doubt that anybody has yet done the appropriate shooting tests needed to evaluate how much (if any) better 6.5 Grendel weapons would be.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
          The Russians have to prosecute their current foreign policy with the weapons they have, not the ones they want. Their rifle marksmanship approach is nothing like ours, and is geared towards conscripts with very minimal expectations in terms of traditional rifleman engagement distances.
          I think your right LRRPF52 the Russians have never put the value on individuals as we have here in the US. Our tactics and leadership seem quite different than the Combloc and Chineese. After reading this thread this morning I was mulling over the fact that the 6.5 X 39 chambered AK-12 is in development. I'm afraid the Russian Bear has awaken from hibernation and is aggressively hungry for power and territory. I was just trying to get some conversation going about the merits of the AK-12 development.

Comment

• Variable
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stanc View Post
            I imagine it'd be possible to develop a 30-rd magazine for 6.5 Grendel rifles.
            [insert screechy mom voice here] What? WHat? WHAT?????? [/screechy mom voice]

You mean you don't demand to see proof before you'll believe it's possible?
            Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
            We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• stanc
              Banned
              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Variable View Post
              [insert screechy mom voice here] What? WHat? WHAT?????? [/screechy mom voice]

You mean you don't demand to see proof before you'll believe it's possible?
              <chuckle> No, I don't need to have a 30-rd mag actually manufactured in order to accept its feasibility. I mean, if the current mags hold 26 rounds, I see no reason to think it'd be a challenge to extend the base another inch or so.

Machine gun links, however...

Comment

Working...
              X