• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PredatorDown
    Warrior
    • Jun 2014

Starting to take the Grendel to distance

I went out on the desert south of home today to try my hand at long range for the first time. Set the 12" gong out at 700 yards, took three shots to get on target, and hit about every other time after that. I know this isn't incredible by any means, but I'm just excited I was able to hit the dang thing with my Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24. The 1moa dot in the center covered about 3/4 of the gong. My Viper 4-16x50 FFP should be arriving any day, and I can't wait to see what the gun can do with a higher power scope.
    Attached Files
  • BjornF16
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Tell us more about your stick!...(with pics).

Looks like they were hitting with authority!
    LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
    Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• PredatorDown
      Warrior
      • Jun 2014

They were definitely smacking hard. Had around a second of flight time, and After watching impact I could pull out my earplugs before hearing the ping. I could hear it with them in, but it was just cooler to pull them out and get the full effect

Boomstick is:

Stag Arms lower
      Vltor MUR upper
      JP Enterprises 22" barrel with their large profile brake
      Midwest Industries Gen 2 SS extended rifle handguard
      Geissele SSA-E 2 stage trigger
      NiB BCG
      VLTOR A5 buffer kit
      Magpul ACS stock

Load was:
      Hornady Brass
      Hornady 123gr Amax
      29.5 gr of BL-C 2
      Federal Premium Small Rifle Match primers

Barrel and brake were cerakoted, the rest of the gun was dipped in Kryptek Highlander. Built it for long range coyotes, so we'll see how she does this winter. I'll have plenty of bench time to learn the gun and work up a load before then.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by PredatorDown; 07-20-2014, 12:39 AM. Reason: More pics, load data

Comment

• txgunner00
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Nice!
        NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• Y85
          Warrior
          • Sep 2012

Nice looking rifle - did you do the Highlander dip yourself?

Comment

Welcome. Nice to see someone else stretching the legs of this round. I was shooting it out to 1500yds on my last outing, which was an invitational only precision rifle competition I was spotting for. We played around at the end at 1500yds. I really need an MOA cant for my set up before I do any more of that.

I do know that my 16" will hit repeatably and predictably at 1200yds, with a high probability of hit on an IPSC at 4400ft ASL, 80 F.

Comment

• usmc1371
              Warrior
              • Aug 2011

That is one good looking rifle. Nice report also.

Comment

• PredatorDown
                Warrior
                • Jun 2014

I didn't do the dip myself, had a local gun shop do it.

LRRPF52, that's incredible to be able to hit at that range. What load are you using? I'm hoping to be able to consistently make hits at 1000yds, but given my chosen scope I'll most likely have to go with an MOA cant mount as well. I've been looking at the AADMOUNTs, but I can't tell if they are out of business, discontinued, or just plain out of stock everywhere.

Comment

• lrgrendel
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2013

Nice rifle!
                  I have an Aadmount. Love it. You could not brake that mount if you hit it with a hammer!! Great warranty as well. Have you tried emailing them?

Comment

• waveslayer
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2013

Nice rig, I took my 24" AA out to 1 mile yesterday, like LRRPF52 said, I need another 20 MOA. I was able to hit once, out of 9 shots. I didn't have enough elevation out of my turrets and using my MOAR reticle I still didn't have enough. I ordered a riser to quickly attach on my gun if we go out to a mile again, hopefully that will give me enough elevation to be able to acutally visual see the steel at 1 mile.

But shooting the Grendel at 900-1000 was impressive also, I thought it did better then my brother's .308. he wasn't happy about that.

Comment

• lrgrendel
                      Warrior
                      • Jul 2013

What bullet and velocity are you shooting to a mile with? And at what elevation?
                      Last edited by lrgrendel; 07-24-2014, 01:31 AM. Reason: ..

Comment

• waveslayer
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2013

Originally posted by lrgrendel View Post
                        What bullet and velocity are you shooting to a mile with? And at what elevation?
                        shooting the 123 Amax, Dens was 2386, temp 77-85 I was out in Barstow. Velocity is 2575 out of a 24" AA upper. using XBR powder. I didn't get a chance to shoot the 120 SMK with CFE at that distance, had to go to work.

Comment

Working...
                        X