Owning a 6.5 Grendel is Awesome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Owning a 6.5 Grendel is Awesome

When I think about what type of performance we are getting out of this little cartridge, it still surprises me.

I remember first getting into it for target purposes, and not being concerned with the things that were being said about the Grendel being "...for punching paper, but not a good hunting caliber."

After working with it since 2009, I continue to be impressed with the performance, and have also noticed that we see a lot of "twofers" in the hunting threads. Shivesy has done it, 81police has done it, and there was even a twofer on two does within the last 2 years at 300yds. Then we think about the elk, moose, caribou, bear, buffalo, mule deer, and other medium and large game that have fallen to the slaying abilities of this instrument in skilled hands, and I have to conclude that owning a 6.5 Grendel is awesome.

There are now 30 factory loads for the 6.5 Grendel, as PF has added 5 in the past month, to include the new 129gr Nosler Accubong Long Range, with .561 G1/.285 G7 BC, the 100gr TAC-TX from Barnes, the 120gr TAC-TX, the Barnes 120gr TTSX, and the 123gr Nosler Custom Competition.

Pallets of 123gr SST and A-MAX flow forth from the metallic cartridge master's den of Hornady to the merchants 'round the kingdom.

Alexander Arms continues to ship quality ammunition encased in the world's best brass from the Scandinavian forest people at Lapua, trying to fill the insatiable cries of hungry hordes across the land.

The swine infestation of the Southern US are constantly dealt deadly blows, often two falling for the price of one Grendel spear. The beasts of the Northern tundra of untamed Alaska think they have enough standoff distance of the hunters with their small fire sticks, but their miscalculations are to be their last thoughts as the life blood drains from their perforated carcasses, laying in the spot where they were struck by Grendel's claw.

Lesser tribes from weaker regions outside the kingdom squirm and whimper that they are too weak and worthless when looking down at the inferior workmanship of their savage swords. Some lament, then lash out. Others quietly hide or sell their blades after seeking to join the noble wielders of the blade who number among the Grendel horde...
  • lilharcher
    Warrior
    • Feb 2013

Love this post, especially after the "frustration" post.....lol.

Comment

• Lead Chucker

Hell yeah! Excuse my french here. I been thinking of a thread to express the love of the grendel. Well done! I got into the grendel while looking for a light compact rifle for my daughter to hunt with, at the time she was 10. While researching I found the grendel and said WOW thats it. I ended up getting her a Remington 700 mountain rifle in 260 that I couldn't pass it up because of the price. But I still built me a Grendel and spared no expence doing it. When I got my Satern 18" cut barrel in 2011 I was like a kid a christmas. I got it all put together and shot it... and wow. Love was in the air. It shot great with some 95gn vmax's, little groups. When I shot it out to 500yrds I was in love for sure. I killed two deer with it this year, one at 370yrds. Whats not to love about it. I have many rifles and hand guns, iv owned a 408 chey tac, but I love my grendel above all.
      Last edited by Guest; 03-27-2014, 02:42 AM.

Comment

• CoolBarrelBill

I built mine for hunting and I have been very happy.

Comment

• NugginFutz
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Yep. I was considering replacing a .243 Win, whose barrel had burned out after a mere 900 rounds, when I read about the Grendel. It really didn't take much to see the benefits and advantages this little known (to me) cartridge would have. Not only does it recoil about the same, it shoots further, hits harder, knocks down bigger game and, best of all, comes in an AR 15 package!!!

I am still exploring the boundaries of its performance, and haven't tried many combinations of bullet weight, yet, but this spring should give me the chance.

As it is, though, the other toys in the safe aren't getting much time in the sunshine, anymore. I am certain that they are quite jealous of the attention the new girl is getting.
          If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• jawbone
            Warrior
            • Jan 2012

I did two Nam tours with the M-16, and came away from that hating the rifle and the cartridge. Much later, even managed to resist the buzz when it seemed that every other household owned a .223 AR-15. Went about my business with Remy bolts and, unfortunately, was looking out the window while Alexander and Brennan were developing the Grendel. Somehow or other, I finally heard and saw. Let me tell you, it was a Hallelujah moment, and not without some emotion to it.
            Albeit my late arrival to the party, following the Grendel development has been a fantastic experience for me. So much of that is owed to the extremely generous and helpful guys on this site that provide the deep knowledge base, while managing to keep their cool in spite of all the drama.
            After the typically painful long wait, AA came through with a beautiful upper that shoots better than I do, and I have been having a blast with it.
            I am thankful to have witnessed this. Now if Bill and Arne could just come up a homing bullet that guarantees bugholes, I’ll be all set.

Comment

• Slappy
              Warrior
              • Feb 2014

Reverend!! Great post and some nice pictures. BANG BANG!!

Comment

My upper shoots real good and I didn't have to spend a lot to build it.
                It feeds and ejects good and the bolt has been reliable.
                I blew a primer with 7.62x39 brass that had less internal volume than I thought and it didn't hurt the bolt at all.
                Won't be making that mistake again.
                Still shooting sub MOA with several loads using 3 different bullets.
                I'm hoping to build another with one of PF's barrels if they can make a light short barrel.
                My current upper is real accurate but it's heavy.
                The 6.5 Grendel is just as accurate as I heard it was and it looks like a lot of people are getting in to it.
                Last edited by Guest; 03-27-2014, 07:47 PM.

Comment

• montana
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2011

The only real problem I have had with the Grendel was a reloading one which was the reason I joined this forum in the first place. The problem was quickly solved by the helpful members on this forum which is greatly appreciated. The performance of the Grendel my family has had harvesting deer, has always been superb especially with the Barnes bullet. We have four Grendels all using AA bolts, barrels, and magazines with one using the Lilja barrel. I have not had one bolt failure, accuracy has been outstanding and my AA magazines have performed with out a hitch. I like to Monday morning quarter back about possible improvements with this rifle and cartridge like many people do, but this is not in any way a criticism of the Grendel cartridge or it's performance. I still think this cartridge is the best caliber for the AR platform and being able to pick the brains of many helpful and willing people on this forum has made my experience with this caliber even more enjoyable not to mention their wit and humor. Yes the Grendel is out standing.
                  Last edited by montana; 03-27-2014, 09:06 PM.

Comment

• arnie
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2013

The problem I have with mine is going to the range with 100 reloads and coming home with 100 MT cases . :-)

Comment

• Buster
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2012

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                      Lesser tribes from weaker regions outside the kingdom squirm and whimper that they are too weak and worthless when looking down at the inferior workmanship of their savage swords. Some lament, then lash out. Others quietly hide or sell their blades after seeking to join the noble wielders of the blade who number among the Grendel horde...
                      Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity.
                      What profit hath a man of all his labour unless he striketh his target under the sun?

Comment

• SG4247
                        Warrior
                        • Aug 2013

I put my 70 year old father on my Grendel at the range last fall.

He had never shot over 100 yards in his life. Won't shoot bolt guns due to a bad shoulder.

After he banged 8" gongs at 100, 200, 300, 400 and 500 meters (547 yards) in the wind, until he had shot all 100 rounds of my factory Hornady 123 Amax ammo, he went back home and bought a Grendel.

I was $125 dollars lighter and had to pick up all my brass!
                        NRA F-Class Mid Range High Master

Comment

• wheelguner
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2011

I enjoy discovering just how kindred are the spirits of those attracted to the Grendel. As a Marine in the early years of Nam I carried my issue M14 an a self purchased boltgun in 6.5x55. During my second tour I could never develop ANY affection for the new M16 and I made do with an M21 my unit scrounger st..... er acquired from a neighboring Army unit. That thing was an any day every day any weather tack driver. After I left the Corps I took my attitude regarding the AR platform into civilian life. I discovered a fondness for prairie dog and coyote shooting and bought a Savage Varminter in 204 Ruger which was red mist death on the dogs and yotes if I did my part. About that time Sabre Defence chambered their heavy match target in 204 and I got mine and discovered that with the exception of that horrible spring noise next to my ear I rather liked it. In my research on which AR to buy I read about the Grendel which led me here and the 204 upper went to auction to pay for my first Grendel a AA 24" Overwatch upper. I have since added an AA 20" Light Hunter upper on a lower I built for it. Both are fitted with the JP SILENT CAPTURED SPRING SYSTEM to get rid of irritating noise. I have since sold the M21 replica I built, it's roll is well fulfilled by my Grendels. I have seen the light.

Comment

• Errorhead
                            Bloodstained
                            • Dec 2012

Owning a 6.5 Grendel is Awesome, yes it is but it can be expensive, just because it is an addiction! Now I own two grendels! (Don't tell the wife) I look forward to shooting some longer distances this summer. My youngest son has taken one away from me, hence the NEED for a second Grendel. Yea Yea That is what I'll tell the wife! I enjoy him ringing the gong at distances I can't now. ( Getting old and bad eyes) He took two deer this year, one at 100 yds and one at 212yds, not bad for 11 years old. Got him a short one for swamp hogs, stay tuned for spring pictures.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                              Chieftain
                              • Aug 2013

I hate to break it to you, errorhead, but they always find out. I opened my safe about a month ago with my wife standing there looking on. I won't soon forget the cold chill go down my spine as I heard her ask "when did you get all those?"
                              If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

Working...
                              X