• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cst
    Warrior
    • Jan 2014

got my new lilja! but....

I got my lilja the other day. I noticed it has a flat spot milled under the gas port to help orient the gas block set screws. How good is that compared to a dimple? In terms of set screws\ gas blocks coming loose.

also the theory of over tighening a set screw could possibly compress the bore because of the amount of metal removed. ?

my problem is I want a clamping block but dont know if they would fit under a BCM KMR or Mega MKM rail.
  • BjornF16
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

You can find clamping gas blocks that fit under the BCM KMR...

I was helping a friend yesterday with a BCM KMR and he was using a Daniel Defense gas block...
    LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
    Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• cst
      Warrior
      • Jan 2014

great...im actually looking at the adjsutable Sentry model from SLR...

Comment

The more and more I work with these Lilja barrels, the more I find to like about them. The 6 o'clock flat is one of the features I really like.

It helps center the set screw gas block. They don't need insane amounts of torque, and Red Loc-tite helps keep the gas block unitized to the journal, while maintaining a nice gas seal as well.

I'm using Nitromet gas tubes, and I threw together an upper last night with my 16.5" Lilja barrel. The gas tube lined up perfectly with the stripped Black Nitride bolt carrier from Mark (Precision Firearms), no binding on the gas tube flange inside the carrier key, which is one of the critical interfaces on the AR15 if you want accuracy and long-term reliability.

The carbine weighs 6lbs 2oz using the MI Gen II SS rifle-length handguard.

Comment

• BjornF16
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

cst

I use an SLR DA7 clamp adjustable gas block underneath my MI Gen II SS hand guard on my Ultra Lite Grendel...(http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...ll=1#post66854)

Comment

• RAM2940
            Bloodstained
            • May 2013

SLR claims that the new sentry gas block will fit under any hand guard believe its 1.36 tall.

Comment

• montana
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2011

IMG_0788[1].jpgIMG_0791[1].jpgIMG_0724.jpgIMG_0732.jpg
              I used the SLR DA7 under two of my Grendel builds. The 20" Lilja barrel has the DA7C clamp on Adj. gas block with the Mid West K series key mod 15" hand guard. The 16 inch AA barrel has the DA7 set screw Adj gas block with the Mid West Gen 2 SS series 15" hand guards. The next build I'm going to go with the SLR Sentry 7 clamp on premium gas block and Lilja barrel. Lilja barrels are top of the line as far as I'm concerned. Money well spent.

Last edited by Guest; 03-23-2014, 04:49 PM.

Comment

• BjornF16
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2011

montana...nice camo on those lead slingers...did you do them? I like the Grendel logo...very nice touch.

Comment

• montana
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2011

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
                  montana...nice camo on those lead slingers...did you do them? I like the Grendel logo...very nice touch.
                  Thanks for the compliment. Yes I did these myself, I used H Cerakote on them and used a stencil to blend in the Grendel logo. The 16" is my wife's light hunting rig.

Comment

Montana, that is amazing work. Thanks for the compatibility updates as well.

With this generation of super light aluminum tubes being the growing trend with AR15's, it has become a major consideration as to which low-profile gas blocks can be used.

The MI Gen II SS really set the bar for weight and strength, and the new BCM KMR has taken that farther by introducing an Aluminum-Magnesium alloy with plasma-deposited surface finish. I held one the other day and was blown-away at how light it is.

Comment

• Adam Lilja
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2013

What Bi-pod is that?

Comment

• montana
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post

With this generation of super light aluminum tubes being the growing trend with AR15's, it has become a major consideration as to which low-profile gas blocks can be used.

The MI Gen II SS really set the bar for weight and strength, and the new BCM KMR has taken that farther by introducing an Aluminum-Magnesium alloy with plasma-deposited surface finish. I held one the other day and was blown-away at how light it is.

Thanks, I'm getting lots of compliments today.

The BCM hand guard looks incredible. It is nice to see such advancements in the AR parts after market. We have come a long way since I purchased my first Colt AR-15 SP1 in the late 70's.

Comment

• montana
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Adam Lilja View Post
                          What Bi-pod is that?
                          Its a Harris Bi-pod.

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post

First I just wanted to say sorry for the hijack.

I recently got one of the BCM KMR's in 13" and can't wait to use it in a build. It is extremely light. I am thinking 16" Recce using a Lilja M4 barrel.

Comment

• cst
                              Warrior
                              • Jan 2014

OK guys.... mega mkm or a BCM KMR for a tactical sniper rifle ....? I like the new Vltor vis-km but its not out yet and its made with 6061 aluminum... any other high speed suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                              X