Is 6.5 Grendel the New 300 Blackout?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Klem View Post
    Ah yes, Mr 'RSilvers'. He may not have designed the calibre but he certainly believes in it like a religion. Start mentioning its flaws and prepare to be flamed like a sub-continental religious zealot. He was on that Blackout forum 24/7 it seemed, defending it and protecting it. Monopolizing many conversations with technical mantra. I am guessing his livelihood was in some way connected with the marketing of the caliber.

Let's face it, every caliber has good and bad points. In trying to be all things it ends up being, 'Jack of all trades master of none'. Even its raison d'etre, the ability to fire suppressed heavy 30cal form a cycling AR is loud compared to other platforms/calibres.

It's all down to the relationship between its peak, port, and muzzle pressures. 30cal drops from peak pressure much quicker than smaller diameter barrels (Grendel and 5.56). This means it goes from peak pressure to under-gassed much quicker. But, to cycle an AR you need at least 5,000lbs at the port. So with subsonic, having enough pressure at the port to cycle leaves you with higher than preferred muzzle pressures. And that means sound. Suppressed subsonic is louder than a 9mm. Or, you can load equivalent to 9mm but not have enough pressure to cycle. Take your pick; loud cycling subsonic or quiet single-shot-only. Plus, carry the weight of 308 ammo in your pouches for no more ability to kill than a .223. After a while the marketing wears off and you are left with reality.

The only similarity between the Blackout and the Grendel is that they are both designed to use the same AR platform. Comparing them beyond that is pointless.
    This! ^^^

Klem is it more eloquent than I with a lot more info than I know of.

Comment

• NugginFutz
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

The only similarity between the Blackout and the Grendel is that they are both designed to use the same AR platform. Comparing them beyond that is pointless.
      Well said, Klem. Well said.
      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

Working...
      X