• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • waveslayer
    Warrior
    • Jan 2013

Help with Adjustable Gas Block

I recently built out my 18" Grendel and finally had the chance to shoot it. I have a Parallax adjustable gas block with a mid-length tube. I screwed the screw in all the way and backed it out 1 turn. when I shot it seemed to be releasing too much gas, the charging handle would come back and kiss my nose, a fun surprise.

I then screwed it all the way in, and it worked good great, bolt would stay open on an empty mag, but then I noticed this...

What is causing this and what shall I do?
    Attached Files
  • WildBill3/75

You could try screwing the set screws tighter to clamp it firmer to the barrel and see if that helps any if indeed it is not tight.

To be honest though, that is perfectly normal....all the gas blocks I've seen leak to a certain degree and after a few rounds being fired the carbon seals any voids so it should be a nonissue.

Comment

• Tedward
      Banned
      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by WildBill3/75 View Post
      You could try screwing the set screws tighter to clamp it firmer to the barrel and see if that helps any if indeed it is not tight.

To be honest though, that is perfectly normal....all the gas blocks I've seen leak to a certain degree and after a few rounds being fired the carbon seals any voids so it should be a nonissue.
      yup true and that is why I like clamp on GB's. You squeeze it tight and it does not put pressure points on the barrel. Also they will clap and seal tighter without any leaks. But as WB said, the leaks will clog eventually.

Comment

You could also Red Loc-tite the gas block in place if you're worried about seeing the normal leakage.

I have a clamp-on JP that I cut down, and made a lightening cut on similar to the way yours is on the sides of the block, however, I haven't seen any gas leakage like that. I attribute that to the clamp-on attachment method. I do have gas leakage from the gas tube hole, but the gun has run reliably for years now on factory and hand loaded ammunition. The only malfs I have had were when I decided to try out 5.56 PMAGs with 90gr TNT, and I ruined some brass that way.

Everything else has run literally 100% for 5 years now.

Comment

• explorecaves

Since the gas block has been addressed, did you ensure your charging handle is fully latching?

Comment

• waveslayer
            Warrior
            • Jan 2013

Originally posted by explorecaves View Post
            Since the gas block has been addressed, did you ensure your charging handle is fully latching?
            oh yeah I did, it didn't hit me hard, just touched my nose a few times, and I would make sure it was locked to check it, I even replaced it with 2 other latches I had on hand, they all did the same thing.

Sounds like I will use some Red Loctite and tight the screws up good.

Comment

I mean bedding the gas block to the barrel with Red Loc-tite, without getting it into the gas port.

What type of upper do you have? Is it a DPMS by any chance?

Comment

• montana
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2011

I'm surprised the rifle functioned with the adjustable gas block screwed all the way in. My Syrac's and SLR adjustable gas blocks cut the gas off when screwed all the way in. Which manufacturer made your Grendel barrel?

Comment

• waveslayer
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2013

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                  I mean bedding the gas block to the barrel with Red Loc-tite, without getting it into the gas port.

What type of upper do you have? Is it a DPMS by any chance?
                  Yes I would do it to just the gas block to the barrel. it's a RRA upper. I trued it up as you instructed...

Comment

• waveslayer
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2013

Originally posted by montana View Post
                    I'm surprised the rifle functioned with the adjustable gas block screwed all the way in. My Syrac's and SLR adjustable gas blocks cut the gas off when screwed all the way in. Which manufacturer made your Grendel barrel?
                    It was from XCR's Group Liberty buy.

Comment

• montana
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2011

Originally posted by waveslayer View Post
                      It was from XCR's Group Liberty buy.
                      Where is your brass ejecting while shooting? Towards the front 1:00 o'clock side, 3:00 o'clock, or 5:00 o'clock back? If you have severe recoil with the gas block opened your gas port is too big.

Comment

Can you measure your gas port diameter before installing the block. I'm kinda curious what port was used.

Comment

• cst
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2014

All gas blocks leak. You wouldnt notice it that much if the barrel was black and the block wasnt skeletonized. Make sure your charging handle latch spring is fresh...My GaP 10 rifle usedmto kiss me on the nose too....too much gas I guess.. changed the latch for me and it went away..

the gun should not cycle if its turned in all the way...I think early Syrac had an issue they fixed

Comment

• Klem
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2013

Carbon gas leak is perfectly normal and will be obvious on a shiny SS barrel like yours. Especially on a set-screw design (non-clamping).

It looks like you have that block hard up against the shoulders of that barrel. Do you know whether you need a 1/32" gap in front of the shoulders for the gas holes to line up? If they are not exactly lined up it will exacerbate that carbon bleeding.

I am unfamiliar with the Parallax block and maybe you or someone can help me out here but is the block designed to be used with the traditional AR handguards, or hard-up against the shoulder?

Comment

• NugginFutz
                              Chieftain
                              • Aug 2013

+1

A .025" inch gap between block and shoulder is nearly universal, when it comes to port alignments.
                              If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

Working...
                              X