• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FlatsFlite
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2013

Satern is starting to accept returns

I just got the email to send mine in to have the throat taken care of.
  • rickOshay
    Warrior
    • Apr 2012

They accepted my return for full refund. But because I purchased in the Group Buy, Satern views XcountryRider as a vendor, so it had to go through him.

They approved the full refund because I had not mounted the barrel on a receiver.

Comment

• FlatsFlite
      Bloodstained
      • Nov 2013

So, you are the one. XCR has posted is a couple places that he bought one back from the group buy that was allegedly bad, but it shoots great for him. Personally, I can't pull the trigger on something that sets the bullet back into a case when you load a round. I'm sure you feel the same way.

I didn't seek a refund, I just wanted it corrected to shoot all factory ammo. I think I'll be happy when it's all said and done.

Comment

• Sputnik
        Warrior
        • May 2013

They may very well shoot great until it doesn't and a bolt breaks, or worse. I don't want to have to keep my Liberty ammo re-set to 2.238 and my factory ammo separate, if I take both rifles out to shoot. I am sending mine back for scraping. We have to pay for return shipping also, about 20 bucks. I am confident mine will shoot great too.

Comment

• moobthoj707
          Unwashed
          • Nov 2013

Do you guys know if saturn will take the ar stoner barrel back? I guess I must go through midway? Have not measure my chamber at all bc I dont have the tools or any factory ammo. Soon I will take mine to have it look at by a smith.

Comment

• Sputnik
            Warrior
            • May 2013

Originally posted by moobthoj707 View Post
            Do you guys know if saturn will take the ar stoner barrel back? I guess I must go through midway? Have not measure my chamber at all bc I dont have the tools or any factory ammo. Soon I will take mine to have it look at by a smith.
            Call Lindsey at Satern.

Comment

• rickOshay
              Warrior
              • Apr 2012

I'm not trying to create any internet hysteria. I am trying to determine the extent of the issues reported here. I went back through the closed thread and here is a list of the members who report issues as: 1) failure to chamber commercial ammo, 2) experienced signs of high pressure, 3) saw marks on ejected bullets, or measured bullet set back, or 4) measured short/tight chambers with a Hornady OAL gauge:

Short n Sassy
              Alligator
              Lead Chucker
              rickOshay
              LoneRanger
              trock03
              PigOPs
              mccuistion
              arnie
              Grendanimal
              Sputnik
              hydrotech
              flatsflight

There is at least one reported on AR15.COM addressing the same issue: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/6...s_.html&page=1

EDIT: He was able to return his barrel to Midway for refund.

Not sure if this is one of the above 6.5 Grendel Forum members.

Please let me know if I've gotten it wrong.
              Last edited by rickOshay; 02-07-2014, 02:47 PM.

Comment

You missed mine. I experienced 2 & 3. Mine will be going back to have the throat reamed shortly.

Comment

• Walter
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2013

I am a 4. I will have my throat reamed before I shoot it.

Comment

• Kikn
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2011

Shouldn't Tedward and XCR also be on that list?

They report a short throat but work around it by reloading their ammo.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

"Nothing wrong, here. It's just mass-hysteria, spurred on by the cult of AA. I have it on the highest authority that no throats are short - they're only tight. These Dozen or so people don't know that a normal barrel will cause bullet setback, hard extraction and pulled bullets."
                      Seriously, though. rickOshay - Thanks for sifting that thread for the truth. I sincerely hope that seeing these names collected together helps some of us to realize that mistakes can and do happen, and that this would not the first time a reamer was cut wrong. It's a simple truth, and just because people want their product to function in a normal way does not make them Kool Aid drinkers.
                      Last edited by Guest; 02-08-2014, 12:06 AM.
                      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

Doesn't it concern anyone else that now saturn is going to have a " GRENDEL II" chamber. why can't / won't they just get the correct reamer in the first place?

here is a quote from xcr onr ar15

Satern has been making the 5R button rifled Liberty barrels for years. They are known to be accurate and fast. The down side to the chamber design is that you may not be able to load out as far as you lmaybe would ike.While it does great with the 95 to 123gr the longer pills can't be loaded as far out in the case which means the pill takes up powder capacity in the case. Satern has been working with PTG on a new design they are calling the Grendel II. It used the 6.5 Lapua throat dimensions I'm told which gives hand loaders more options with longer pills. The 6.5 Lapua is extremely accurate particularly with the 120 to 130gr range and can handle up to 140gr as well. which is right in the Grendel sweet spot so this throat should make for a precision rifle. I have a barrel buy going on for 20in fluted and coat Liberty barrels and Satern is offering the buy participants in choosing which throat they want the 6.5 Grendel or the new Grendel II. So far its about 2/3 for the Grendel II. Some of the 6.5 Grendel Liberty barrels sold in the last couple months have turned out to have a tight throat and Satern is having owners send back the effected barrels which they are reaming out with the new Grendel II reamer. No more compound throat for those having the throat scraped. Satern is keeping both reamers and will be offering both to customers. This barrel just maybe the ticket for the 129gr Nosler LR but time will tell. I have one on order for the barrel buy and we shall see how it shoots. The Grendel II will chamber regular SAMMI 6.5 Grendel Ammo.

I for one have lost complete faith in saturn they could make the best barrel in the world and i Wouldn't buy it from them now. they have to change to a 6.5 lapua throat to fit grendel ammo when all other manufacturers can chamber the grendel and not have problems something pretty fishy there.

Comment

• Drifter
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

People using correctly cut SAAMI chambers have surely fired tens (or perhaps hundreds) of thousands of rounds collectively with excellent results over a period of many years. Grendel SAAMI isn't broken and doesn't need to be fixed. If there were no out-of-spec chambers floating around, there would be no outcry for any changes. Anyone who claims differently is blowing smoke IMHO. Anyone pushing for "Grendel II" has no creditability as far as I'm concerned.
                          Last edited by Drifter; 02-07-2014, 05:19 PM. Reason: clarity
                          Drifter

Comment

• FlatsFlite
                            Bloodstained
                            • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Kikn View Post
                            Shouldn't Tedward and XCR also be on that list?

They report a short throat but work around it by reloading their ammo.
                            Ted maybe. XCR stands fast that there are no problems.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                              Chieftain
                              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by biggdawg View Post
                              Doesn't it concern anyone else that now saturn is going to have a " GRENDEL II" chamber. why can't / won't they just get the correct reamer in the first place?
                              Well, yes, it bothers me. Trying to coin the term "Grendel II" is an attempt to take the position that the reamer used on the Liberty barrels is the correct chamber, and that all the other reamers out there must be wrong. If anything, the Satern offerings should be "Grendel ST", and "Grendel". Doing so would identify the first as the Short Throat, and the newer reamer for the SAAMI compatible Grendel.

But trying to redefine what is a correct Grendel chamber is beyond the pale. I don't know if the term "Grendel II" is an invention of XCR, Tedward or Steve Satern. In any case, someone needs to reevaluate this direction, and stop advertising to the rest of the community just how out of touch they are.
                              If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

Working...
                              X