• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigbear_98
    Warrior
    • Aug 2013

measurements from bigbear's grendel

I posted this elsewhere, but decided it wasn't the right place. here you go.

So according to this, If your oal is longer than 2.250 when using a drop guage you should be good correct?

I measured using 10 seperate bullets from the same box in my Krieger barrel just going overall length (tip to base as I haven't gotten my Ogive tool yet) and I got from 2.257-2.263 with hornady 123 sst. In one box of factory loaded sst I measured 2.246 max. What is everyone else that doesn't have a Satern barrel getting?

I'll try it with 123gr Amaxs when I get home.

ETA: DROP GAUGE IS NOT THE CORRECT TERM> Sorry, It is a Hornady LNL OAL gauge.

Review of 20 Best 6mm Shooting supplies--Redding Wilson Dies, RCBS APS primer tool, Harris Pod-Loc KMW Bipod, K&M, Holland neck Micrometer, Dewey Rods, Burris Rings, Wipe-out foam, Montana X-treme, Podlock Podloc, Harrell's Precision, MidwayUSA Tipton, Creedmoor, Edgewood Bags, and Benchrest 6BR accessories for hunters, varmint shooters, military, prone & F-class. For 6mm BR Norma Benchrest precision shooting, Reloading, barrels, powders, stocks, dies, accurizing, ballistics, varminting.
    Last edited by bigbear_98; 02-04-2014, 02:19 AM.
  • bigbear_98
    Warrior
    • Aug 2013

Information on amax.

Amax oal

.02 variation

Amax projectile length

.005 variation

I'm not sure what to think of that. Does the ogive of these bullets vary that much? I'm guessing I'll know more when sinclair sends my 6.5 comparator insert.
    Thoughts?

Comment

• bigbear_98
      Warrior
      • Aug 2013

I just had an epiphany and went to measure my fired brass from base to shoulder. It read as follows.

I then measured the Hornady modified brass that is used on my oal gauge.

All of my OAL measurements taken with this device are .01 short of actual chamber measurements.

So if my amax reads, 2.250 with the hornady oal gauge, then the actual chamber measurements are 2.260 correct?

Does everyone else see the information the same as me?

Now don't get me wrong, the factory hornady oal of 2.247 (max) that I pulled of the SSTs is shooting real well out of my rifle, so I don't think I will change that. With all this talk about short chambers and throats, I am just wanting information on my rifle.

Comment

• customcutter

I'm still trying to figure out what a "drop gauge" is? Only thing I found on a google search was a die, that looked like it could be used as a "substitute" chamber to check ammunition?

Comment

• bigbear_98
          Warrior
          • Aug 2013

SAAMI spec drawing attached

Last edited by bigbear_98; 02-04-2014, 02:49 AM.

Comment

• bigbear_98
            Warrior
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by customcutter View Post
            I'm still trying to figure out what a "drop gauge" is? Only thing I found on a google search was a die, that looked like it could be used as a "substitute" chamber to check ammunition?
            Sorry, It is a Hornady LNL OAL gauge.

Review of 20 Best 6mm Shooting supplies--Redding Wilson Dies, RCBS APS primer tool, Harris Pod-Loc KMW Bipod, K&M, Holland neck Micrometer, Dewey Rods, Burris Rings, Wipe-out foam, Montana X-treme, Podlock Podloc, Harrell's Precision, MidwayUSA Tipton, Creedmoor, Edgewood Bags, and Benchrest 6BR accessories for hunters, varmint shooters, military, prone & F-class. For 6mm BR Norma Benchrest precision shooting, Reloading, barrels, powders, stocks, dies, accurizing, ballistics, varminting.

Comment

• bigbear_98
              Warrior
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by customcutter View Post
              BB, thanks that makes sense. I was trying to figure out how you were using this???

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CC8Q9QEwAw

Heh, I do have one of those, but I haven't used it yet. I keep trying to figure out how big of a hammer I will need to get it in the chamber.... ;-)

Comment

• bigbear_98
                Warrior
                • Aug 2013

Here are some Pics of my DIRTY chamber. Those that know, look at the last picture and make sure I labeled that correctly. I based this info off the SAAMI specs I posted earlier.

Comment

• bigbear_98
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2013

I am posting this to ask questions and verify that I am understanding correctly. Does anyone have a "yes you're right" or "no you're and idiot" to give me?

Comment

Originally posted by bigbear_98 View Post
                    I am posting this to ask questions and verify that I am understanding correctly. Does anyone have a "yes you're right" or "no you're and idiot" to give me?
                    Yes, you are correct except with the Grendel there is no "freebore" that is the first part of the compound throat where the lands get taller at a 1/2 degree slope.
                    Only comment I have is the lands look like a pretty abrupt start.

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
                      Warrior
                      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                      . . . Only comment I have is the lands look like a pretty abrupt start.
                      That was my thought, also.

Comment

• bigbear_98
                        Warrior
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by SHORT-N-SASSY View Post
                        That was my thought, also.
                        What are they supposed to look like?

Comment

Originally posted by bigbear_98 View Post
                          What are they supposed to look like?
                          A gradual slope maybe 1/8" long.
                          I'll try to take a photo of a 264LBC through the bore scope when I have some time, maybe later today.

Comment

• bigbear_98
                            Warrior
                            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                            A gradual slope maybe 1/8" long.
                            I'll try to take a photo of a 264LBC through the bore scope when I have some time, maybe later today.

I think it may be deceiving. If you look at the rest of the chamber, neck length for example, it also looks very short. I took some pics of my WOA 223 wylde chamber for comparision. I wish I had a bore scope. I would like to see some pics of that!

Comment

Working...
                            X