X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BjornF16
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

I have no idea how Satern has setup their manufacturing facility.

They may have two geographically separated facilities, one for Satern cut rifled barrels and another for Liberty button rifled mass production. Two reamers would make sense.

If in the same facility, perhaps they are busy enough on their cut rifled line.
    LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
    Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

Any of a number of classic cost-cutting steps could explain the chambers.

One could also speculate that the somewhat worn reamers go to the mass-production line to save a few bucks.

Skipping or shortening the final finish would also explain things.

We need definitive statements from Satern.

The third party comments from one or two folks make for a bad climate. Satern may be innocent of ill-intent, but the resulting chaos is lousy just the same.

Comment

• Sputnik
        Warrior
        • May 2013

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
        Any of a number of classic cost-cutting steps could explain the chambers.

One could also speculate that the somewhat worn reamers go to the mass-production line to save a few bucks.

Skipping or shortening the final finish would also explain things.

We need definitive statements from Satern.

The third party comments from one or two folks make for a bad climate. Satern may be innocent of ill-intent, but the resulting chaos is lousy just the same.
        I agree. The frustration level is like a roller coaster here. My idea of a fix would be to ream them with a checked, inspected, SAAMI, new reamer. I just posted this in another thread, but it is applicable here too:

"What a Fiasco! After almost 3 weeks after the first inadequate Satern response, and no response since, they are going to arbitrarily ream the barrels into something else, other than a Grendel? There is a difference between a fix and a change. It's almost like I ordered 22 long ammo, was sent 22 short, so the fix is to send me 22LR. At he end of the day I don't have 22 Long. So after the scraping, I am not going to have a Grendel?! I ordered a Grendel...How did RickOshay get his money back? Through the vendor? Maybe group buys do need some guidelines."
        Last edited by Sputnik; 02-08-2014, 03:14 PM.

Comment

• Sputnik
          Warrior
          • May 2013

Not convinced. Also, pictures in a few days? Grinding is going on now. I would expect a chamber reamed with a confirmed Grendel reamer, perhaps different than the one first used; not a re-chambering of an unknown wildcat.

Comment

Originally posted by XcountryRider
            I gave rickOshay his money back and eat the shipping charges and checked his barrel and it was fine. It chambers Amax and SST and every handload i have to include 120gr TTSX, 129gr SST and 100gr Nosler without issue. I can post a video if you'd like. Lindsey at Satern tells me that in a few days they will post diagrams of there current chamber and the Grendel II so people can compare.
            Ever since I saw your first posts about getting 2740-2820fps with a 120gr TSX, I literally cringed at the thought of what was going on at your reloading bench, so I'm not even sure what to make of any of the measurements you are talking about. I know rickOshay's character, and his competency to take detailed measurements. In effect, we have a situation where he clearly stated that the maximum COL's he discovered with his barrel are one set of data, and you are saying another.

I also noticed last year when FMSniper took his Liberty barrel COL measurements, and found that he could not seat the 123gr SST that far at all. Then we have your post where you specifically stated that:

Originally posted by XcountryRider
            Ok guys stop the panic liberty barrels have always had a shorter chamber which means you can't load as far out but you get higher than average velocities as well. I've loaded from 100 to 140gr in two of my liberty barrels.
            Jamming the projectile will produce these higher than average velocities, which pushes the pressures in excess of what is Maximum Average Pressure by SAAMI specs.

So it's pretty clear something fishy is going on, and you're on the wrong side of the facts here. It is very rare that we have these types of issues on the forum. I'm starting to lose track of how many forum members have contacted me personally to state that this wasn't the forum they joined, and are apprehensive about visiting or joining in discussions, when they see threads like this populating the top of the "What's New" list.
            Last edited by Guest; 02-09-2014, 01:09 AM.

Comment

• dammitman
              Warrior
              • Dec 2012

No worries about this forum. All this too shall pass. This forum is more better than 99% available. Trust me. Really,,,,,

Comment

• Lead Chucker

Im glad to be a member here, the information here is 2nd to none and most of the time eveyone here is polite and cordial. I have been shooting since I was 5 years old and reloading since I was about 14, im 37 now. I dont know it all, still learn something new every day. I load for many different calibers and platforms. We all love the grendel or we wouldn't be here! I built mine a few years ago and want the best barrel I could get so I got one from Satern and would do it again. My dad is 64 years old and has always been a bolt gun guy, after playing with my grendel this past year he asked me to build him one. So we got him a Stoner barrel and started his build. Yes I was very concerned when I read here that the throats in these barrels were short, or could be short. So when I checked it it turned out to be a little short, not bad but short. I was really concerned when I checked my buddies Stoner barrel I built for him last year. It was really short. Im not bashing anyone or any barrel maker. We just want what we paid for, what is safe. There is no doubt the throats are short, and reaming them to a longer throat and saying its now something else isnt right. My cut rifle Satern barrel has a longer throat and its a SAAMI Grendel chamber.... so now is Satern going to call it a Grendel ll because its longer than the Liberty/Stoner? Im not bashing, just saying. The barrels are very accurate, I just want the throats to be right, not different. This is my dads first AR and I want him to enjoy it as much as I love mine.

Comment

Working...
                X