X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hidesert cowboy
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2014

why doesn't liberty just run a correct size NEW reamer into the barrel that way the throat will be cut deeper and it will not need to be switched to a 6.5x47 throat??

Comment

• BjornF16
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

That would be an admission of guilt...
      LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
      Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

Originally posted by hidesert cowboy View Post
        why doesn't liberty just run a correct size NEW reamer into the barrel that way the throat will be cut deeper and it will not need to be switched to a 6.5x47 throat??
        The statements about using a 6.5x47 Lapua throat were changed. Anyone with a 3rd-grade level understanding of math can see why if you work out the COL.

I think there were retractions on that reference, and basically an admission that it's a .264 LBC chamber variant.

Comment

• alligator
          Unwashed
          • Jan 2014

Update: They told me the cratered primers and marks on the brass is not necessarily caused by over pressure. It could just be soft brass. The next email they told me that the overpressure is an ammo issue. They said that there is nothing that can fix on the barrel or chamber to fix this issue. They also told me that bullet manufactures only make sure the bullet is the correct diameter to go down the barrel and that the brass fits. Again blaming the ammo. We are talking about Hornady, the ones who got the 6.5 SAAMI approved. I think they do more than just make sure the bullet will fit down the barrel and the brass is right. I bought a Sheridan case gauge and all of the factory Hornady 123gr SST rounds I have fit in it perfectly. Not too high and not too low. I very seriously doubt this ammo is out of spec.

I told them my bolt was out of spec. I brought my bolt to work and got a machinist to measure it. He confirmed what I measured. Satern told me that it could not be out of spec because it was made on brand new Swiss machinery. I have no doubt that brand new Swiss machinery will make parts to exacting specifications. However if the numbers input to the machine are not correct, neither is the part. He also said that the marks on the bolt could be caused by the carrier being cut wrong. That particular carrier had around 1000k .223/5.56 on it without a problem or irregular bolt wear.

They would not give me my money back because my kit had been fired/used. I had them "scrape" the throat. They did replace the bolt with a brand new unit. It measures .135. And I got to pay for shipping for the 3rd time for this barrel.

I wish I would have found and read this forum before I decided to buy a 6.5G. I did not get what I paid for the first time. And I had to pay more money to ship it to get it altered to something that is not what I originally ordered. This whole situation has kinda ruined the excitement of this new to me cartridge and build.

I have built another upper with this barrel. I put it on a used Larue Stealth upper receiver and Larue 12in rail I had. I have not shot it yet. I am still undecided if I am going to keep it or sell it. I had originally looked at the 6.8 before I went with the 6.5. I am eyeing the Palmetto State Armory hammer forged FN barrel 6.8 to shoot hogs with. I am a fan of the FN CHF barrels. All of them I have owned have shot great.

Comment

Another happy customer! Thanks Satern!

Comment

• NugginFutz
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

It's truly a shame that someone who is clearly talented can behave toward his customers in such an indifferent way.
              If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
                Warrior
                • Apr 2013

alligator,

I feel your pain. But, don't let that pain mask the root cause, ". . . I did not get what I paid for the first time. And, I had to pay more money to ship it to get it altered to something that is not what I originally ordered. . . ."

Hang in there!

Comment

• WildBill3/75

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
                  It's truly a shame that someone who is clearly talented can behave toward his customers in such an indifferent way.
                  Fortunately for us there is a sea of great barrel makers and smiths out there. With these bad business decisions I truly question how long they can stay in business. I also know I am not alone in blacklisting them from any/all of my future purchases.

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
                    Warrior
                    • Apr 2013

I just took note of an update on the MidwayUSA.com website: AR-Stoner Barrel & Bolt AR-15 6.5 Grendel combos, 16", 18" and 24", previously, "Temporarily unavailable," now, "Discontinued"!
                    http://www.midwayusa.com/find?dimensionids=17123

Comment

• mccuistion

Originally posted by SHORT-N-SASSY View Post
                      I just took note of an update on the MidwayUSA.com website: AR-Stoner Barrel & Bolt AR-15 6.5 Grendel combos, 16", 18" and 24", previously, "Temporarily unavailable," now, "Discontinued"!
                      http://www.midwayusa.com/find?dimensionids=17123

I would like to think that customer feedback had something to do with that.

Maybe we'll see an update on their website explaining how Midway didn't take proper pictures or advertise their barrels enough so they decided to stop dealing with them?

Comment

• poli
                        Bloodstained
                        • Feb 2014

Midway is selling AR-Stoner 6.5 Grendel (Grendel II Chamber) barrels:

Comment

I bet they don't sell many, at least not from the group of guys on this forum.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2013

It makes sense, as it would be difficult to justify selling the so-called standard chambers after all the negative feedback. It would not surprise me, either, if they were pulled by the manufacturer as some kind of statement. No shortage of hurt feelings over at the Saterns. Too bad that was all self-inflicted.
                            If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Slappy
                              Warrior
                              • Feb 2014

Are these the ones that will not fire factory ammo?? BANG BANG!!!

Comment

• NugginFutz
                                Chieftain
                                • Aug 2013

If you are asking about the ones just now listed, the answer is no. The GII's are cut without the compound throats. The ones that were previously discontinued had occurrences of short throats.

Comment

Working...
                                X