Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • twosixtyfour

Cleaning kits?

New to the Grendel and having I one that I haven't shot yet, waiting for ammo to arrive, i realized I don't have anything for 6.5mm. So I'm standing in the cleaning isle and cant find a kit for a 6.5mm or a 264cal. What brush kit do you guys use for this beast so I'll be prepared after shooting.
    Thanks Donnie
  • NugginFutz
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Donnie,

First, welcome to the Horde. Glad you made the trip.

I don't think you will find a "6.5 Grendel Cleaning Kit", but that is not an issue. Here's my list of cleaning materials for this wonderful cartridge.
    • A good cleaning rod, ball bearing. Should be coated with either nylon, teflon, etc. No bare metal rods. A good choice would be a Dewey Nylon or Tipton Carbon Fiber. Ensure it is sized for the bore. Too small, and it will flex. Too big - well you get the idea.
    • Jag. Something for .250 - .264 and are easily found.
    • Bronze Phosphate or Nylon brush, in .264. I prefer Nylon, as I can reverse the brush while in the barrel and avoid damage to the muzzle crown.
    • Bore Guide - while optional, it is an essential for keeping the cleaning rod straight, and prevents abrasion to the bore.
    • Chamber Mop or Brush. An AR essential. They make these for the 7.63 x 39 chamber, which is virtually the same. I prefer the brush, because it knocks debris loose, and I follow up with Gun Blast / Brake Cleaner.
    • To go with the chamber brush, it helps to have a short, non-spinning, cleaning rod. Dewey also makes one of these.
    • Liquid Aim. Apply this to the bore after every cleaning, for greater accuracy and better long range performance.

Ok, that last one was bogus, but you can always hope. Naturally, a Solvent and some gun oil will be required, but selection and preference for those is as wide and personal as anything out there.

There are other options out there, ranging from "BoreSnakes" to knotted shoelaces, dipped in motor oil. The above list is from the more traditional school of thought.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by NugginFutz; 01-26-2014, 03:00 AM.
    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

Working...
    X