Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • customcutter

AR safety concern?

After reading the post about factory ammo not chambering in some of the barrels, I noticed several post about possible KB's. I thought they just didn't know what they were talking about, surely the gun can't fire if the bolt isn't closed. Well, I checked and to my suprise, both of my AR's will fire with the bolt open. I just rechecked all of my other firearms and none of them will fire if the bolt is not closed, or the slide is out of battery.

Thought I'd hopefully make a few others aware of the fact.

Edit,

I just checked as per LRRPF52's suggestion in post #3, and the firing pin cannot strike the primer unless the bolt cam pin rotates the bolt to the closed position.
    Last edited by Guest; 01-24-2014, 10:28 PM.
  • mongoosesnipe
    Chieftain
    • May 2012

That is because there is no disconnect in the mechanism in the ar
    Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

When you say, "both of my AR's will fire with the bolt open." what do you mean exactly.

Yes, you can pull the trigger on an unlocked bolt, and the hammer will release, however, the firing pin should not hit the primer. The bolt has to be closed to allow firing pin protrusion.

Take out your bolt carrier group. Starting with the bolt in an extended (unlocked) position, hold your finger against the firing pin, and slowly close the bolt into the carrier. Watch what happens when the firing pin starts to protrude.

That is because there is no disconnect in the mechanism in the ar
      The AR15 does have a disconnector in the fire control group, but it isn't disengaged when the bolt isn't locked like on a striker-fired weapon. The firing pin protrusion is dependent on bolt lock in the AR15/AR10.

Comment

• customcutter

I mean that the trigger will pull and release the hammer. No, I didn't check to see if firing pin would actually strike a primer. It just concerned me that the trigger would release the hammer. I just pulled my BCG and you are correct the firing pin CAN NOT PROTRUDE until the bolt cam pin rotates the bolt to the closed position.

thanks for educating me,
        CC

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
          Chieftain
          • May 2012

I understand that but mine was just a quick response as to the trigger as he was referncing pistol slides and the inability to fire out of battery even when an ar slam fires due soft primers it still does so in battery
          Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

Working...
          X