• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sneaky one
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

25 Round Mags.

MIDWAY HAS AR STONER MGS ON SALE FOR 10.99 ea.
  • rust4brains

Interesting these are on sale. I have 3 Grendels & plenty of mags. However, I recently converted a buddy to the 6.5G & he is looking for mags. What is the reputation of the AR Stoner mags? Are they reliable & durable? My old CProducts mags have always been 100%. Any feedback or guidance I can get to share with him is most appreciated.
    R4B

Comment

• heinz57grendel

I love my c products Mag's but my asc Mag's aren't worth a crap

Comment

• NugginFutz
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Well, acknowledging that ASC = AR-Stoner, I can say that I've bought both, in the last 14 months, and have never had any issues, whatsoever, with either. I'd read that sometime back, both CProducts and ASC were having issues, but I think that that is now water under the bridge, so to speak.

I've used both 10 and 17 round varieties.
        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Tedward
          Banned
          • Feb 2013

I have some C-Product 25 rounders and AR Stoner's. They are the same, just different floor plates. Anyhow who can afford to use the 25 round mags and if bench shooting, there too long. I like the 10 rounders the best and the 15 round straight bodies will be coming out in April. They are changing the tooling in February to run them. According to my source. He's been right consistently on his information.

Comment

• customcutter

I bought 4 of the 25 rounders and 1 of the 5 rounders for hunting. I figure if the spring is too weak to push them up then I might try to figure some way to modify them.

Comment

• mccuistion

i bought 4 25 rd AR Stoner mags when i purchased my barrel (under 3 weeks ago) and not a single one will work properly with 25 rds in it. I just started loading to ~15rds and they work great. A review on Midway said the thick gunky paint was to blame and after sanding some off his functioned fine so i plan on trying that.

Comment

• customcutter

Originally posted by mccuistion View Post
                i bought 4 25 rd AR Stoner mags when i purchased my barrel (under 3 weeks ago) and not a single one will work properly with 25 rds in it. I just started loading to ~15rds and they work great. A review on Midway said the thick gunky paint was to blame and after sanding some off his functioned fine so i plan on trying that.
                What type of issues did you run into? Feeding fully loaded, feeding the last 4 or 5?

Comment

• sneaky one
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

R4B, this is my first purchase of AR stoner mags. My intent is to cut them to the 15-17 capacity range-using a custom floorplate,-- that I make here-once in a while.

We found the way to get the end mill involved. Soon to be a polymer unit As a floorplate .

Bill A. stated when the AA mags. were purchased- One needs to burnish the mag. before using it. Good advice!!

A few have stated that the follower is too short- lengthwise, on the Stoner mag. followers. I will report back as to what I find. They are to be here in a few days.

There is a small cure if it rocks fore & aft. too much.

Comment

• tackdriver
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2013

I guess I am oblivious. How do you burnish a mag?

Comment

• dmsims21
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2012

Originally posted by tackdriver View Post
                      I guess I am oblivious. How do you burnish a mag?
                      I clean with CLP, polish inside with Flitz (reduces scratches on the brass), then clean with CLP, and then try to rub all of the CLP off.
                      www.FriendsvillePrecision.com - AR15 Dry Fire Device

Comment

We always took our issued Alum mags apart, replaced the followers with magpul, springs with wolff and scotchbrited the crap out of the inside until the anodizing was thin, then graphited them. Never had a malfunction due to mags (This was pre Pmag)

Comment

• mccuistion

Originally posted by customcutter View Post
                          What type of issues did you run into? Feeding fully loaded, feeding the last 4 or 5?
                          The issue i ran into was if any of the 4 mags were loaded past ~17 rounds they wouldn't feed at all. They might work once then the follower would get stuck and the remaining 16 rounds had no spring tension pushing them up. Even pushing around and pulling out a few rounds wouldn't do the trick... granted i haven't burnished any of them yet.

I haven't had time to fiddle with them yet so i haven't lost hope... as of now they function flawlessly as 15 rd mags and i will get to working on them here soon.

Comment

• mccuistion

If i decide to purchase new followers does anyone have a brand they suggest? or certain type? If burnishing them down doesn't do the trick i plan on getting followers/springs.

Comment

• sneaky one
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

They arrived today- the 3 mags. They function fine. I will use Dupont Teflon Non stick Dry film lubricant on the insides of them-then wipe semi dry. It is in a 4 oz. bottle. Me like!

I bought these to get to the 17 rnd mode,. it is a perfect size for Benchwork-hunting too.
                              Last edited by sneaky one; 01-22-2014, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X